DIY DOF adapter for 1020 w/BeastGrip

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Crasstoe, could you maybe post links to the product pages of the adapter and macro filters? Maybe a tiny mini-guide for us non-knowledgeable? :)
Thanks!

Okay people, mini guide on DIY DOF adapter is here. If I am patronising at all I apologise - it's been a long day at work.

The reason you would use a DOF (Depth of Field) adapter with the beast grip is so you can attach SLR lenses to your phone, simple really. A DOF adapter works by giving the SLR lens something to "project" it's image onto, and you then focus your phones camera to the screen. The downside to this is the more you put between the SLR lens and your camera the darker the image gets, so this isn't really ideal for low light stuff without long exposure times.

The first thing you need to do is decide what fitment lenses you are going to use. This is paramount as this affects the whole adapter. I chose to go with M42 (42mm screw fit) lenses, this would allow me to use some very cheap but well reviewed lenses that are readily available. The mount you choose to go with affects the FFD (Flange focal distance) of your lenses, and this is how far you need your "screen" from your lens mount, and this is the first part of the DOF adapter that we will make. FYI, the FFD of an M42 lens is 45.5mm (near enough!), and a guide to mounts and their FFDs can be found here Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you know how far your screen needs to be from your lens, "what's next" you ask, well you need a screen! This is also known as the GG (Ground Glass), and this can be made from almost any translucent material. Some people use CD cases, some use plastic film, most however will use the Focusing Screen from an SLR. I opted for the screen from an old 35mm camera that I found on eBay.

$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l4DUBQhZoj0TsQ~~60_57.JPG

STANDARD FOCUS SCREEN for the PENTAX SFXn FILM SLR , CLEAN . | eBay

Okay so you have a screen and lens, now for a tube to hold them at the right distance together. You want an object called a Macro Tube. Now, the size of macro tube you go for is dictated by the size of your Focusing Screen. My screen corner to corner comes in at 41.5mm, meaning as long as my macro tube is bigger than this I am all good. I went for a 42mm macro tube as this is the same size as the M42 lens I have chosen (meaning less step up rings). The macro tube I went with can be found here; Macro Extension Tube Ring Set M42 | eBay

$_1.JPG

I ordered 2, as I wanted tube 2 and 3 together to go between the focusing screen and the lens (comes to 46mm), and I would need a tube to go the other side to connect to the BeastGrip.

Now the problem with the 1020 is the focusing distance, it can only focus further than 15cm, a pain. This can be corrected with Macro Filters or Close Up Lenses (many names). This means the 1020 can focus closer than before. This takes a little trial and error. I went with a 37mm set of 4 that can be found here Digital Concepts 1 2 4 10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (37mm) | eBay

$T2eC16FHJG8E9nyfmHnBBRuU9N!OcQ~~60_1.JPG

The benefit of these lenses is they can be stacked to magnify further. Seeing I want the DOF adapter to be as short as possible I want to magnify as much as possible without causing a Vignette effect (this is where you can see the edge of the lens in frame). I stacked the 10x, 4x and 2x lens on top of another (one more would be too many). I then attached the spare 20mm macro tube from the second set I picked up, between the macro lenses and the DOF adapter, this turned out to be perfect.

Now I need to attach this contraption to the BeastGrip, this is easily done with a 37mm -42mm adapter that can be found here 37mm-42mm 37-42 mm 37 to 42 Step Up Ring Filter Adapter | eBay
Obviously this is dependant on the size of the macro tube you go for.

$(KGrHqF,!lUE2EDpwURBBNv8cMCtU!~~_1.JPG

Now I had a CPL (Circular Polarizing Lens) from an old camera that I fancy being able to use, so researching the lens I have chosen I found it has a 49mm filter fitment, and my filter was 62mm, so a simple step up ring was needed, which can be found here 49mm to 62mm 49-62mm 49mm-62mm 49-62 Stepping Step Up Filter Ring Adapter | eBay

$(KGrHqJ,!gwE5kv,Y7kQBOsEbu8gkg~~60_57.JPG

So you want to know what this thing looks like? Here are some pictures;

1621774_10152174587846163_1124362621_n.jpg

1656217_10152174587886163_260851173_n.jpg

999760_10152174588016163_331744400_n.jpg

The duct tape is so I know which ring to mount the Focusing Screen to (It is currently held in with blutac to see if I had everything right). Here is a photo sample, it's a bit poor due to low light and the focusing screen not being straight, and I didn't zoom in to make the screen full size, but you get the idea;
1743679_10152174588251163_1383428757_n.jpg

Now the image you see on your phone will be upside down, it's just the way lenses work. On iPhones there is an app (nearlySLR or something like that) which allows you to "flip" your viewfinder which rectifys this issue, on WP we simply have to live with it. I have contacted Nokia asking for this feature to be added to Nokia Camera but we shall see if it gets through.

I will post an update on mounting the Focusing Screen properly soon, and will post some pictures showing how it works in decent light and once all the lenses have been properly cleaned, they are filthy at the minute! Getting excited about how this is going to turn out!

Here is a quick drawing (plan?) of the parts I have used;
DOF Adapter.jpg

I am going to try and source another 10x macro filter to replace the 2x and 4x to try and bring the screen closer to the camera meaning less digital zoom, less glass between the screen and camera (meaning less glare) and to help shorten the DOF adapter, but if I can find something stronger I will.

Let me know what you think guys! :smile:

Last edited:

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Photo samples coming soon, still isn't finished! One of the questions that crops up is why not use a larger diameter macro tube. The answer, weight. They are heavier and the lens and focus screen wont benefit in anyway from a wider tube. The only thing that may benefit is the close up lenses being bigger mean less vignetting but only if you are stacking alot of them!

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_211 using Tapatalk

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I am a happy man, very happy.

Used some thick cardboard as a mount for the GG (focusing screen) and the results are great!

I placed a spare piece of the macro tube onto the card and traced around so I knew the size the cardboard needed to be, I then placed the GG on top of the traced circle and traced around that, so I knew what area of the cardboard mount needed to be removed to show the screen. I then cut this out with a stanley knife, and fitted the screen between the macro tube thread and cardboard using a hot glue gun (set to low - DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE, THIS WILL PERMANENTLY FROST UP YOUR SCREEN). I'll get photos up as soon as I can tomorrow, my phone died during testing.

I have an additional set of 37mm macro close up lenses on the way (I want the +10) to help magnify further, as a lot of cropping was needed to get the photo to fill the frame. The end result from cropping the 34MP photo in photoshop is around 5MP, but you can judge for yourself what you think. These were taken in VERY low light with my LED lamp on the hot shoe mount, white diffuser attached and the CPL filter removed.

1497099_10152176676561163_1615694390_n.jpg

Shot freehand, ISO 400, 1/10 second Exposure

1780700_10152176676496163_356424469_n.jpg

Resting on table, ISO 100, 1/2 second Exposure

1655971_10152176676486163_1442395057_n.jpg

Resting on table, ISO 100, 1/3 second Exposure

As soon as I have some decent sunlight I am taking this outside to see what it can do!

Don't get me wrong, a modern Ground Glass Focusing Screen which is without imperfections and marks would give better results, but TBH this gives a lovely classic character to the photos without any nasty fake filters from Instagram-type apps!

Your thoughts people?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Pictures of how GG is held in;
1625475_10152177747811163_2145006139_n.jpg

1012404_10152177747806163_1045512436_n.jpg

The complete setup;
1499562_10152177747746163_2084979660_n.jpg

And now some sample shots;

12252281454_651de7c9a9_b.jpg

12252307404_3633b2788d_b.jpg

12251808513_70c92d2a8e_b.jpg

12252094944_970485de2d_b.jpg

12251872943_2cb73bcd66_b.jpg

More can be found here; Willen Lake w/ DIY DOF Adapter Mk1 - a set on Flickr

I am very happy with the results... however I cannot wait for the additional macro set to arrive, meaning I don't have to crop so much. I am also toying with the idea of fabricating my own Ground Glass, which would remove the focus markers and imperfections on the current glass, and I could use a round 42mm piece of glass, meaning no cropping necessary if the Macro rings are strong enough!

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
A few more shots from today. After some more practice with how to hold the lens properly I can now adjust the aperture and focus rings with my index and middle finger on my left hand whilst supporting the lens from beneath with the palm of my hand. I also found that setting the brightness on the 1020 to -0.7+ stopped the photo from being blown out.

12268540876_816fc657b1_b.jpg

12268527216_c55606e5a8_b.jpg

12267956675_6a28381808_b.jpg

12268116863_129a4f0bbb_b.jpg

12268533406_680cb8a603_b.jpg

12268403804_3fe0170ef7_b.jpg

shkshaka

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just a question... All pics you shoot with the DOF adapter, get this "thing" (I don't know it's name... newbie here :p) in the center of the pic? Can't remove it if I'd like to take someone's pic?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
That would be the focusing screen center marker, a pair of brackets [ ]

It's etched onto the actual Ground Glass/Focusing Screen that I used to build the DOF adapter. I am waiting on some bits to arrive to have a go at making my own Ground Glass which would mean the focusing screen wouldn't have the center marker and it wouldnt be on the shots.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Ic... Dude, Im really interested on doing something like this, but I'm really affraid of wasting money since I dont know how to do some things you've done...
Is it hard to at least use something as it shows at the kickstarter...
the last one, for example...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets...cf5c3ec754c63e70e5bf08a1_large.jpg?1380420676

It isn't hard but definitely not easy! Remember you will have no physical shutter button when your phone is in the BeastGrip, so you will have to press the on screen button, I find your thumb is the easiest way to do it. I think that photo is recording video, that way you only have to hold the phone with your right hand and then you can adjust your focus on the SLR lens with your left hand.

You will have no auto focus so will have to do everything by hand. Holding can be a little awkward until you get the hang of it. I'll do a small video explaining how it all works and will show how it can be used, hopefully it'll help.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this unless you fancy some tinkering to get it right. As soon as the extra bits have arrived I will post results from the Mk2 adapter, and if it is all good then there is no reason I couldn't offer to build the DOF adapters for you.

Do you have an SLR or camera lens already that you would like to use if you go ahead? Reason I ask is you need to know what lenses you want to use with Beast Grip. I will probably be making a second DOF adapter in the future when I want to use more modern lenses but for now the old M42 lenses are keeping me happy.

Last edited:

shkshaka

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I see... too bad we can't use the physical shutter with the beast =(
Pls, do that video... It will help for sure...
I don't have a SLR neither Lenses... In fact Idk yet which lens I could use. I would use something like these 50mm lens... May you recommend any?
The thing is, how will I plug it onto the Beastgrip?

If there is no prob for you, could you give me some tips and informations about lens and DOF, etc?
thanks in advance

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
You can but almost any step up ring, this is the ring that changes the size of the fitment, e.g. 37mm - 50mm etc...

The faster your lens the quicker it will be at taking shots in low light. So you want a lens with a low f rating.

Just tried using some window frosting spray on some glass to make a cheap focusing screen, i wouldn't bother. Its so grainy, lets little light through and is just plane awful. Going to try and find a more suitable focusing screen.

shkshaka

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
these 50mm is low f rating? Is it good? I mean, I choosed this 50mm 'cause Ive been reading some articles and I wanted to know the "eye" mm view...
I read about 35mm and 50mm, but mostly of them mention 50mm as "eye" lens... is it right?

With this I would be able to focus right? I wanted something like the link I mentioned above, from the kickstarter... I think I want something like these.
What you think?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The 50mm you mention is the length of the lens correct? A 50mm lens is a pretty versatile size, but remember a fixed lens will have no zoom.

f rating is independent of the lens length. For example, my CSZ 50mm lens goes from f2.8, but there are plenty of faster 50mm lenses with ratings from f1.4 etc...

As for the mm equivalent of your eye, I have no idea.

You keep mentioning "these lenses" and "like these", if you are linking in your posts none of them are coming through on the thread, can you try again please?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
You will be able to focus with all of these lenses without a DOF adapter, except for SLR lensesc these are those shown in the bottom photo.

You can zoom with the other lenses attached, but when using a DOF adapter with prime lenses you focus the 1020 onto the screen in the DOF adapter and zoom in to fill the screen on the phone. Then you focus and zoom everything on your SLR lens where possible.

As i said I'll do a video explaining it all - aiming to do it this weekend.

shkshaka

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Capturar7.JPG
In this pic, there are 1 dof adapter and 2 lens... so to use these lens i'll need a dof adapter, which is that you're teaching how to DIY the DOF?
think Im getting it now :p
and with the DOF, I can use not only these lens aside of it but advanced lens like u showed us here, right? All I need something else besides the DOF to advanced lens? I mean, any ring or anything else than the DOF to plug it onto the beast?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
You're getting it. I am showing in here how to make a DOF adapter. You can buy DOF adapters ready built but they aren't as cheap as making your own.

I wouldn't use the term advanced lenses, not entirely sure what you mean, but any lens designed to be used with an SLR camera will need a DOF adapter.

You will need a step up ring from 37mm (the BeastGrip thread) to the size thread of your DOF adapter (the macro tubes you are using to build it). You will then need an adapter to connect your DOF adapter to your lens (and your DOF adapter screen will need to be a certain distance from your lens and your phone).

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
New focusing screen arrived this morning, a Canon EE-A screen, it is much better, and there is now no center marker!

Here is a screenshot to show what the viewfinder looks like when using this DOF adapter;
12387022974_cc4748ae90_b.jpg

And here is a video of me doing a very bad explaination of why you would use a DOF adapter and the adapter construction itself.

EDIT: Video is no longer available. Flickr cut the video to 3 minutes long when it was 10 minutes long!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss