Temporary Memory Issue - 8X

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a 8X on VZW with GDR3 (16GB device). I have always had to work hard to manage memory as games and music leave me with very little room to work. When the phone gets under 500MB it starts to lag on occasion. I am now under 300MB and it opens up the "Make More Space" app constantly when I am trying to do just about anything on the phone. I understand all of this and am willing to word around it.

My problem is that it shows that I have 1.40GB of Temp Files and it won't get rid of them. I've included a pic to show what I am talking about. Just a sidenote; I took the screenshot before it completely populated; I have 2.42GB of apps.

Any thoughts, outside of a factory reset?

wp_ss_20140131_0001.jpg

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Download Storage Cleaner and give it a spin(ideally, more than once, and leave the screen on).
Turn off auto upload to Skydrive.
Delete maps you dont use.
Delete Internet history.
Delete Bing Search history.

You must also have a lot of "Other" storage or "System" as it's now known. Not a whole lot you can do about that.
And don't bother with that Make more space app, it is absolutely useless.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Download Storage Cleaner and give it a spin(ideally, more than once, and leave the screen on).
Turn off auto upload to Skydrive.
Delete maps you dont use.
Delete Internet history.
Delete Bing Search history.

You must also have a lot of "Other" storage or "System" as it's now known. Not a whole lot you can do about that.
And don't bother with that Make more space app, it is absolutely useless.

I really want to leave auto update on. I was under the impression that the memory issues with auto upload was fixed.

I have emptied all my history.

Does storage cleaner work? I tried it in the past with no results.

I agree, the HTC make more space app doesn't appear to do anything.

Mattsessions

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Recently I have been trying to update a game that's pretty big on my phone, and it wouldn't because of storage being low. I rummaged around and got it up to about 2gb and tried the download again. Still got the same message. Long story short I tried a few time and noticed later on that every time I would try to download it would contribute to the total of my System files. There has got to be some way to get rid of them without a factory reset, cause right now my system folder is taking up more than half of my phone memory.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Recently I have been trying to update a game that's pretty big on my phone, and it wouldn't because of storage being low. I rummaged around and got it up to about 2gb and tried the download again. Still got the same message. Long story short I tried a few time and noticed later on that every time I would try to download it would contribute to the total of my System files. There has got to be some way to get rid of them without a factory reset, cause right now my system folder is taking up more than half of my phone memory.

That should, in theory, empty in two weeks or so. I think. You can expedite the process and forward the date on your phone by two weeks. This helps with temporary storage, and sometimes with System storage. Its worth a shot.

If not, run Storage Cleaner. That's really the only tried and true method of lowering storage. Generally, I clean 200megs or so. If you've never run it before, you should get more than that.

And be aware, when you're downloading games, the stated required space is incorrect. Normally, it is that, multiplied by 2/2.5. So a game that requires 500MB might need 2 gigs of free space. Ridiculous, I know.

Mattsessions

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to do the date forwarding and see if that works. I did run the storage cleaner and that didn't help with anything. I figured the whole game download thing would download the install file then install the game and once the game is installed it will delete the install file, which in my case it is not doing this, and that's why my system is now showing that it's 8+ GB.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I really want to leave auto update on. I was under the impression that the memory issues with auto upload was fixed.

I have emptied all my history.

Does storage cleaner work? I tried it in the past with no results.

I agree, the HTC make more space app doesn't appear to do anything.
i cant confirm auto upload, but I've avoided it anyway. I upload manually and then delete the pics that I don't ABSOLUTELY need on my phone.

Storage cleaner works well for me. Its quite a crude solution, but it does the trick. Just run it, leave the screen ON, and come back in 20/30 mins and DELETE the temporary files its filled. Once you've pressed delete, it will continue to delete for a minute or so.

I've glanced at the recovered storage and was pretty dismayed to see only 50 megs or so had been retrieved. I left it there and a minute later, it said I had an extra 200 free on top of the 50. You can run it straight after to achieve further results and again for a third time if youre so inclined. You'll get diminishing returns obviously, but every little helps!

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to do the date forwarding and see if that works. I did run the storage cleaner and that didn't help with anything. I figured the whole game download thing would download the install file then install the game and once the game is installed it will delete the install file, which in my case it is not doing this, and that's why my system is now showing that it's 8+ GB.
Wow, 8 gigs is certainly not normal. I've got 3 gigs and I consider that too much. Have you got update 3 yet?

I'm sure youve already tried this, but purge any apps you don't want or need. I've seen some rogue apps fill up temp storage which is cleared after an uninstall. If there's apps you want to keep, just reinstall and that should offer temporary respite. Apps fill up storage over time, but a full uninstall wipes everything associated with it.

Mattsessions

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Wow, 8 gigs is certainly not normal. I've got 3 gigs and I consider that too much. Have you got update 3 yet?

I'm sure youve already tried this, but purge any apps you don't want or need. I've seen some rogue apps fill up temp storage which is cleared after an uninstall. If there's apps you want to keep, just reinstall and that should offer temporary respite. Apps fill up storage over time, but a full uninstall wipes everything associated with it.

Well I gave up and I'm just restoring it, but what would happen is that when I would try and update the game that was 800 MB during install it would show the low storage, and then I started noticing that since it didn't install my system folder continued to get bigger. All the other folders were under 1 GB and the apps/game one was only about 4 Gigs. I just don't understand, I wish that there was a way that you could get in there like you would on an android phone to remove certain files, but Microsoft put in there "These files make your phone work. You don't want to delete them. Trust us.". Well guess what I want to delete rouge files.

And I also do have the preview of update 3.

Mattsessions

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
The first attachment is before I reset the phone. The second one is after the restore and before all the backed up apps start downloading, I will keep an update on what's going on with it to see if it does it over the next few days

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140201_0001 (1).png
    wp_ss_20140201_0001 (1).png
    10.4 KB · Views: 18
  • wp_ss_20140201_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140201_0002.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 18

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member