Phone can't access OneNote - SkyDrive notebooks

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
This is most frustrating. I've searched for 1 month (including a few hours again this AM) and tried every possible answer I found (except hard reset of phone), to no avail. I have the same phone, purchased the same time as my friend and I don't have the problem. She uses OneNote extensively, mostly from her Surface RT, but also accesses it from her PC. She can save and sync all her folders and they show up on both her Surface and PC ... from both SkyDrive (documents) and from the OneNote metro app and through live web / Internet Explorer. On her phone OneNote app nothing but her personal folder shows up with quick notes and the samples. When trying to access from the SkyDrive app on the phone, all the notebooks appear, but none can be accessed. Getting this error message:

Can't find Notebook.JPG

Tried these things found on searching: Resetting Office app on phone, soft reset phone, signing out and in of both OneNote and SkyDrive on all devices.

Any possible suggestions other than a hard reset? I will have to do it for her, since she's not tech savvy, which means transfer of a ton of lecture audio files from her PC ... plus software updates ... and installing all apps again. She would rather not have access than go through that. ARGH!

I have no problem accessing all my notebooks from my Surface 2, PC, and phone! We have an Office 365 account, which she signs into under her own Microsoft ID. Her ID is the same on all devices.

I'm half tempted to transfer all her OneNote syncing to DropBox. Any thoughts?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
sorry your friend has these troubles with OneNote on her L920. That is very odd indeed. I am just wildly guessing here... Can you compare the properties of her OneNote files under the Live account page to yours and check if there are any differences? Also check the folder that these Notebook files reside in (e.g. Documents and check if they are shared etc). If there is nothing odd I would then try to temporarily change the permission settings. Start with a single Notebook first, then expand to the folder they are in. E.g. share a problematic Notebook temporarily to public or her own email address and then try again on the phone. Then set it back to her only.

I know from own experience that a hard reset is really not that painful if everything has been backed up to Skydrive (I know that this is all relative and that some people just don't have the time for this). That would be the next I would try. That is probably the same you will hear from MS if you called or contacted them. And it may not resolve the issue at all, hence it is the very very last resort.

Hope others can chime in here with some more things to try.
good luck

Last edited:

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, it appears I found the problem that was right under my nose the whole time. The Microsoft account sign-in on her phone is different than her Outlook and the one she is using for her Surface, PC, etc. This means a hard reset for sure, right?

Once I do that, I will have to download all software updates too, right?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, it appears I found the problem that was right under my nose the whole time. The Microsoft account sign-in on her phone is different than her Outlook and the one she is using for her Surface, PC, etc. This means a hard reset for sure, right?

Once I do that, I will have to download all software updates too, right?
You are saying she uses different MS accounts for the RT/Windows machine than for the phone? That would certainly explain that. She could move her Notebooks to the correct MS account that she uses on the phone. Or she could try to share them from one account to the other. Would try that first.

You can also align phone and PC, RT with the same account as you suggest. But then you have the headaches of app purchases not showing up on the new account that were made on the phone under the previous account. On the other hand the same would be true on the Surface RT. If she logs in with a different MS account there then purchases for the RT won't show up. There may be ways of transferring those (not sure). I'd be reluctant to hard reset the phone and use a different account if I made lots of app purchases. It's also easier to login with different accounts on the RT and on the PC. All you have to do then is copy the Notebooks from the "wrong" account to the phone's account and then login with the "correct" account on the RT and Windows PC.

Probably easier than a hard reset on the phone.

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's what I'm saying ... didn't notice it at first ... and, yes, it certainly explains it. Good idea about sharing the notebooks. Never that of that! I'll try that now, while I'm backing up her photos and music. I'll let you know. Thank you!

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's what I'm saying ... didn't notice it at first ... and, yes, it certainly explains it. Good idea about sharing the notebooks. Never that of that! I'll try that now, while I'm backing up her photos and music. I'll let you know. Thank you!
make sure you re-read my post. There maybe better options. I'd stay away from a hard reset for now.
good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa