Is it wise enough to buy nokia lumia 720 right now?

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a 1320 for my dad. In each and every aspect it is better than 720, except for camera and its capacitive keys doesn't illuminate.

I really don't understand this. Why would anyone compare the 720 and the 1320? They both are good devices in their class. Its like someone saying "my oven functions as an oven better than my microwave" .

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand this. Why would anyone compare the 720 and the 1320? They both are good devices in their class. Its like someone saying "my oven functions as an oven better than my microwave" .

Maybe you should ask the person who braught 1320 into this thread. I didn't bring it.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I was the one who brought 1320 in...for me a phone is a phone whatever its screen size or form factor ....OP clearly asked is it wise enough to buy 720 at this time ..and i would still say NO...just because of its ram limitations ...and I just showed him many options including 1320....

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But guys LTE is not available in india nd also I believe u need to get update from nokia to use LTE in india.correct me if am wrong

Sent from my iris458Q using WPCentral Forums mobile app

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
lol took me 15 min to read all the comments , as Gaurav very well handled this thread by giving valuable suggestions , Lumia 720 has better camera when compared to Lumia 820/1320 since 720 rear camera uses a fast lens at f/1.9 which enables low-light photography and creating bokeh in the out-of-focus areas of an image , but it can not record full 1080 p video , front camera on 720 is a 1.3 MP(720p HD camera same as Lumia 920/925/1020/1520) , hardware wise 720 has s4 dual core krait processor with adreno 305 GPU , 512 ram , 8GB flash storage(SD card support available upto 64 GB) , battery is same as Lumia 920 , better battery life due to non HD display(it's a WVGA clear black 780X800 , making it 217 ppi covered with corning gorilla glass 2 coating ), now lets compare it with second competitor Lumia 820. it was launched alongside Lumia 920 , it has faster processor with better GPU adreno 225 found on Lumia 920/925 , 4.3 AMOLED clear Black 800?480 , better screen resolution when compared to Lumia 720 , 1 gb ram , faster processor & GPU are advantages of buying Lumia 820 , but disadvantages are very clear , 8mp camera is not as great as 6.7 on Lumia 720 , don't count MP , the sensor on Lumia 720 is better in picture quality and with f/1.9 , 720 sines in low light photography , but some games requires 1 gb ram so 720 lacks extra ram , its not yet clear what features of windows phone 8.1 will be avliable for 512mb devices , its a wise decision to invest in 1 gb phones since all flagship phones have it , so chances are high they will get more features as ,(sudden change in Lumia 520/525 ? Lumia 525 will get more features in this segment) , back on comparison Lumia 820 has a low capacity battery , if you are a power user , keep a charger / extra battery ready .Lumia 720 clearly wins in battery due to lower spec/low power consumption. now lastly Lumia 1320 (phablet ) if you are comfortable with 6"inch phones , (I love big phones :D ) it has pure motion hd+ display one found on Lumia 920/925/1020 , its actually better than any other 720p display , you also get a extra 3rd row column , which takes advantage of huge canvas on 1320 , on specification Lumia 1320 has the fastest processor on any Lumia(forget Lumia 1520 it has latest sd 800) , 1.7ghz dual core processor, GPU is adreno 305(one found on Lumia 720 ) and 1gb ram , 8gb flash storage and SD card support , battery is also one of the best out when comared to Lumia 720,820(lol seriously 820 ),920,925,1020 , 3400 mah battery is just (I always wanted on this high capacity in my Lumia 920) , it can easily run any games/applications with great display/battery life , 6"screen makes it easier for one to pin more tiles ..less scrolling to fin fav apps.1320 lacks in camera section just a basic 5mp shooter camera with flash , but the results are not that bad , its the same quality one get from Lumia 625, oh yes it can record 1080p video , but the front camera is just 0.3 VGA camera , same for Lumia 820 but Lumia 820 can record full hd videos too I forget this point above, this is going to be a huge post , quickly saying it's a wise decision to invest in 1gb phones as they wont lack features since Lumia 925 is still a 9X flagship phone by nokia , its quiet sure 1Gb ram phones will get better apps, update features by nokia/Microsoft in coming months ) , so Lumia 1320 is my opinion or if you like taking photos buy Lumia 720, 820 is good in hardware but poor in battery life.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
So I guess at this point we can come to a consensus that

1) The Lumia 720 is a good; almost perfect all-rounder mid-range phone. Good looking, sleek and handy device. A capable camera phone. But falls short in terms of memory. So limited apps(mostly games). But a limitation nevertheless.

2) The Lumia 820 is a better spec'd phone and hence more "future proof" in terms of hardware. A descent camera and cute looks. Battery maybe an issue for power users.

3) The Lumia 1320 is a great entry level phablet. Armed with a better processor under the hood than a 1020 for ex, it means serious business. Crisp large display and the ability to run at par with the top end Lumias available leaves a positive remark. On the downside its a bulky device (its heavier than a 1520) and it could have done with a better camera. The camera itself is descent. Not much complains against it. But compared to the overall spec, camera falls shy at just 5 MP.

In the end its all about personal taste on how big a phone you want. If you are comfortable with a big 6 inch phablet, 1320 is the way to go. On the other hand if you are of those users who think a phone should be a "phone" both the 720 and 820 and 625 for that matter provide good value.

I really cannot ask you to wait for a replacement for the 720 because all the speculations made are in the air and there is no hard backing about its replacement being announced anytime soon. That said the 720 is still a capable device and will only fall short when using RAM intensive apps(Mostly games). Rest is all up to you to decide. Hope this thread helped you.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh well. Lets not hold a competition on which phone receives updates first. For all we know, many users are still mad at not receiving the Black update for their phones yet. :p

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Naa no problem dude. I noticed some similarity , all the 1gb devices get the update first. Lumia 925 , within a week Lumia 920 and 820 got the taste. So Microsoft and Nokia are looking forward for 1gb phones. I made one of my best friend switch to lumia 525 from lumia 520. Actually he lost his phone in college. So I suggested him to buy lumia 525 by which he is enjoying 2000INR games for free. I am jealous :/. Further he is getting a good battery life.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Off topic....and now I wanna return my 1320 and buy 1520...its better looking and has 2 gb RAM and the fastest processor and best battery back up...and a very good camera.....and I will get the updates first..btw 1320 doesn't feel bulky or heavy....it looks just beautiful and slim for a 6 inch phone...

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I really think you should go for the Lumia 1320 its in theory the most future proof Lumia it has 1gb of ram so all apps are there with a monstrous battery and a great canvas for games and media, no way the 720 is a better option ( had it and just sold it today I needed the cash)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Off topic....and now I wanna return my 1320 and buy 1520...its better looking and has 2 gb RAM and the fastest processor and best battery back up...and a very good camera.....and I will get the updates first..btw 1320 doesn't feel bulky or heavy....it looks just beautiful and slim for a 6 inch phone...

You should wait for new windows phone

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If i may.
The best Phone is the one who sooth the needs of the user, any thing more is just a waste of money.
If the user is not in for ( heavy ) gaming, why then the 1 or 2 gb of ram?
If the user is not in to photo's why then a 20 or a 40 mp cam?
If the user content with a 4" inch screen then why a 6".

He asked for a future proof handy, wel the truth is that al lumia's gets update til 8.1, the rest is based on rumors and speculation and cant be stated by anyone.
Two years of udates, not excactly because there are two kinds of updates, the ones from Nokia and the ones from MS.
As soon if MS going to push the Wp 9x its endex for the updates from Microsoft unles your Phone suports it ( and that has not necessarily to do with ram ).
Nokia on the otherhand wil keep on updating until Microsoft decides otherwise ( there the same compagnie ).

Resum?, the 720 has the same chance as any other Phone because no one can tel what the future brings.
And what if MS or Nokia pulles the plug, nothing happends, only your phone stays the way it is,
and makes that a bad choiche, no not really because you buy a phone as it is and not what it may become.
The software or apps will keep on comming in the store and continuing updating them selves ( if the developers chooses to do so ).
And believe me, only a few developers create apps who uses a lot of ram, because the moneymaking market is stil below the 1gb of ram.
It's Always a gamble, but if you are happy with a 720 then go for it.

An old Greek fylosofer once said ( i believe it was Socrates ) "There is alway's a better phone".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99