Is it wise enough to buy nokia lumia 720 right now?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'd be worried about the ram more than anything.

As long if the driving force of MS is that it can be running on lowspecs phones i would not be worried.
Most people compare it to the specsrace like the Droid phones.
Hell some phones have better specs then my laptop.
But MS is building his oses lighter so it can be runned on lower spec phones
and more and more people are choosing for the cheaper models.
Its al about making money and its better to sell 15 cheap phones than 1 highend ( look at Samsung )
The ram is going to be an isue but not before 9x is seeing it's first daylight or 9x his first update.
But your guess is as good as mine.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Its not actually all about games and apps availability and the updates...RAM effects the core functions of the phones...and higher the amount of it results in better performance ...better speed...better multitasking...lesser app crashing...and one should note the direction Nokia took with 525...I think that indicates the things that are coming...

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Its not actually all about games and apps availability and the updates...RAM effects the core functions of the phones...and higher the amount of it results in better performance ...better speed...better multitasking...lesser app crashing...and one should note the direction Nokia took with 525...I think that indicates the things that are coming...

True. Ram helps in multitasking. And if a display 720p or above it requires 1gb or more ram. Nokia will not make any 512mb ram devices. You can clearly see a rapid change. Lumia 525 and 1320 are great examples and more to come. And many features of windows 8.1 will be exclusive to 1gb ram devices. Some great heavy graphic games always require ram to render graphic engine.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. The general trend moving forward is more 1 GB devices. But this is also because its quite difficult to optimise apps for 512 MB RAM devices. Subway surfers and Temple Run 2 are good examples. With more 1GB devices in the market, there will be less dev effort in making newer, better apps. For any company making apps, less dev effort= more apps.

Anup256j

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Certainly agree with u. Am not a hardcore gamer nor a photographer. Basic games can be played in L720 and camera quality is same as 8mp camera. It basically does the job. Its good phone not great though,,, I am using L720. I'll switch to another phone when WP9 lumia phones are released. :smile:

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
You all looking at yourself what you need.
But that was not the question, he asked "is it wise to buy a 720 ( for his needs )".
If the O.p is not in for gaming, he doesnt need that amount of ram.
The trend is as it is, faster, bigger = better.......
But you don't need a Ferrari if you never drive faster then 80

If i would make a choise for myself i would say go for a 6".
i just want is a sliderphone with a real keyboard, 6" clearblack screen, blackcoated, waterproof alluminum body with the camera of the 1020 optic zoom, and with enougt ram and cpu that it can handles raw pictures like a "normal"camera, with a internal storage of 64 or 128 Gb completed with a Gps and with infrared capabilitys.
But that's not going to happend any day soon, so i have to settle for les.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
As long if the driving force of MS is that it can be running on lowspecs phones i would not be worried.
Most people compare it to the specsrace like the Droid phones.
Hell some phones have better specs then my laptop.
But MS is building his oses lighter so it can be runned on lower spec phones
and more and more people are choosing for the cheaper models.
Its al about making money and its better to sell 15 cheap phones than 1 highend ( look at Samsung )
The ram is going to be an isue but not before 9x is seeing it's first daylight or 9x his first update.
But your guess is as good as mine.

As a person who owns a phone with 512 Mb for ram, theres a need for caution. The phone slows up TREMENDOUSLY over time, and a simple forum with a lot of pictures causes the browser to crash. So yeah, not talking about support but long term use

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
As a person who owns a phone with 512 Mb for ram, theres a need for caution. The phone slows up TREMENDOUSLY over time, and a simple forum with a lot of pictures causes the browser to crash. So yeah, not talking about support but long term use

I got myself a little 520 ( aprox 6 a 7 months ) and dont recognize those problems.
Had only one crash, and that whas my own fault.

raj-lotus

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
finally after taking advices from all of u good guys , i bought L720 in good price :) ..only 16500
its camera is so awesome :) yet to experience other things

few problems i m experiencing now is that while installing nokia apps, it got struck in some apps and gives an error : "we cant connect to the store at the moment check your data connection or try again later"

my wifi connection is good i know bcoz its working well in my laptop. also wifi speed sometimes looks normal and sometimes look like its taking ages to download.

se7en20

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Good choice! Congrats on your new phone!
If you don't have problems in other apps that uses wifi like browser or mail then it must be the app store server.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
finally after taking advices from all of u good guys , i bought L720 in good price :) ..only 16500
its camera is so awesome :) yet to experience other things

few problems i m experiencing now is that while installing nokia apps, it got struck in some apps and gives an error : "we cant connect to the store at the moment check your data connection or try again later"

my wifi connection is good i know bcoz its working well in my laptop. also wifi speed sometimes looks normal and sometimes look like its taking ages to download.

congratulations ! , And welcome to windows phone family xxx
that may be because the store might be getting update or your Microsoft ID:)

INDIAN720

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Nokia and Microsoft need to cater to the budget segment more ... Just have a look around the buzz created by MOTO G which comes at a low price then 720 but has specs higher than that . Only if 720 had 1 gb ram it would have been more awesome experience ... Been using it since december , its my first smartphone so i am just a casual user but still i can feel the slowness caused by "resuming" window before any app starts .. Just hoping nokia would launch a upgrade to 720 which keeps the look , design and feel same but is more speced up ..

raj-lotus

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
i think so too ..bcoz after a while it automatically starts downloading again.
anyway can u guys also suggest me some apps or games which are must to have in L720
personally i want a app which can record calls without any beep sound, is there any?
also i did the update which my phone suggested me in settings. ita up to date now
but i dont know what changes it did after update ?
can u guyz plz tell me that also. is that update called amber or black .. i heard from people
i dont have much knowledge about that.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
i think so too ..bcoz after a while it automatically starts downloading again.
anyway can u guys also suggest me some apps or games which are must to have in L720
personally i want a app which can record calls without any beep sound, is there any?
also i did the update which my phone suggested me in settings. ita up to date now
but i dont know what changes it did after update ?
can u guyz plz tell me that also. is that update called amber or black .. i heard from people
i dont have much knowledge about that.

Congrats ....down load sysapp pusher app from the store it ll show you all system updates ...update all those and then explore your settings menu...extra+info section under settings ll show wether your phone is running amber or black...explore other threads for all the features updates and about everything else...enjoy...

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Nokia and Microsoft need to cater to the budget segment more ... Just have a look around the buzz created by MOTO G which comes at a low price then 720 but has specs higher than that . Only if 720 had 1 gb ram it would have been more awesome experience ... Been using it since december , its my first smartphone so i am just a casual user but still i can feel the slowness caused by "resuming" window before any app starts .. Just hoping nokia would launch a upgrade to 720 which keeps the look , design and feel same but is more speced up ..

You can never compare Droid with WP hardware,
there completely different.

And @ Raj-Lotus
Congrats

raj-lotus

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
while using my phone , i come up with a problem that i know have only 500 mb space left in my phone
i installed no game at all, other then few smaller ones.
is there any way to know what application talking how much space? so that i can uninstalled it.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
while using my phone , i come up with a problem that i know have only 500 mb space left in my phone
is there any way to know what application talking how much space? so that i can uninstalled it.

here are some apps and games you might like :- App Folder
Bing finance
bing news
bing sport
bing weather
bookmyshow
dictionary.com
fresh paint
6tag
metrotube
nokia cinemagraph
nokia creative studio
nokia glame me
nokia mixradio
nokia panorama
play to
nokia video trimmer
nokia video upload
omegle
PDF reader
photobeamer
picsart
ringtone maker
runtastic
shazam
skydrive
sysapp pusher
teamviewer
transfer my data
translator
truecaller
twitter
unit converter
voice recorder pro+
whatsapp
Wikipedia
world clock
zomato

games :-
xbox :- alphajax
amamzing alex
all angry birds(6)
breeze
cut the rope
cut the rope exp
flowerz
gravity guy
istunt 2
jetpack joyride
Microsoft mahajong
Microsoft minesweeper
Microsoft solitaire collection
monster island
shuffle party
Sudoku
tetris blitz
wordament

other games :- angry gran run
benji bananas
blocked in free
chicken story 2
CJ: strike back
Dark lands
dhoom:3 the game
doors
dots connecting
dredd vs. zombies
flappy bird(unofficial)
flow free
hangman
hill climb racing
minion rush
monster university
my talking tom
ragdoll run
rail rush
second chance
sketch match
sky cups
space heads
temple run
toy story:smash it !
where's my water ?(full series)
wreck-it ralph( I guess this now demand 1 gb or more ram)
Zulu star
and best game asphalt 8
(2 games are missing in the list :- temple run 2 and subway surfers since these are not yet ported for 512 mb devices )
also note I have a lumia 920 , I have all these apps installed on my phone (out of 32 GB I still have 17-18 GB left )

after the black update you will get glance 2.0 ; double tap to unlock phone , nokia camera beta and nokia storyteller app
try sysapp pusher to update your system settings apps to get all the benefits of Lumia black update , did you noticed now you can close application in multitasking windows(by long pressing the back button ) , you will be greeted with set of cards(open applications) , now you can just click on 'X' button on top right of each card to close the app.to check if you have black update or not :- go to settings:- extras+info , it should be Lumia black(in crimson colour) , or go to about -> more information
os version should be 8.0.10521.155
firmware version : - 3051.40000.1349.0009( this may be slightly different due to model differences )

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
go to storage check in the settings menu...there you ll find about how much space each app is occupying .....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon