Will Microsoft Store help me if I've flashed my phone?

Paperweight920

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I flashed my phone from AT&T stock yesterday after Nokia Black bricked it. It is currently operating on the unbranded French ROM.

Another user whose phone was also rendered unusable by Nokia Black took their phone to the Microsoft Store, where they attempted to re-install stock OS and cure the problem. When they were unsuccessful, they replaced the phone.

The nearest Microsoft store is an hour away from me. My question is, should I go over and see if they can help me out, or will I be turned down for flashing my phone? Does anyone have experience with this?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I flashed my phone from AT&T stock yesterday after Nokia Black bricked it. It is currently operating on the unbranded French ROM.

Another user whose phone was also rendered unusable by Nokia Black took their phone to the Microsoft Store, where they attempted to re-install stock OS and cure the problem. When they were unsuccessful, they replaced the phone.

The nearest Microsoft store is an hour away from me. My question is, should I go over and see if they can help me out, or will I be turned down for flashing my phone? Does anyone have experience with this?

Unfortunately, there is no way to flash back to ATT stock (follow the flash with rogers rom threads). I would try to act innocent and only if they really ask why there is a French Rom installed I'd say I asked a friend who tried to use some Nokia care software or something like that (again, be very nice and act innocent ;) ). They will probably try and either take it for repair or give you a replacement on the spot.

Another option is to "quasi-brick" the phone. You flash with the French Rom again and pull the USB cable at about 30-50% in the process. The phone will not boot unless you try to flash with exactly the same Rom (it will then repair partitions etc). If you try to flash any other rom it will not work. In this "quasi-brick" state the phone will just show the Nokia boot logo and won't do anything in response to any of the known button combinations to hard reset it. I know from at least one (hehe) person that this works and got a replacement L920. PM me if you have any questions on that process.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It t's bricked they won't be able to tell what rom you have installed. Just say you did a hard reset and it never came back on. Or download "Nokia Software Updater for Retail" which is a free software and it will automatically revert your phone back to the old rom

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It t's bricked they won't be able to tell what rom you have installed. Just say you did a hard reset and it never came back on. Or download "Nokia Software Updater for Retail" which is a free software and it will automatically revert your phone back to the old rom
unfortunately, it won't revert back to old rom. He went from rm-820 to rm-821. There is no path to go back as explained in many posts in the thread I listed above (unless this is possible after Black, which I have not seen posted).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster