What is the difference between a Microsoft account and a Nokia account?

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The MS account gets you outlook.com email, SkyDrive online storage to store and sync your personal data (documents, photos, contacts, calendar, OneNotes, phone and PC settings, etc), and lets you buy apps and games.

The MS account is useful for any Windows Phone and MS product (Windows PC, XBox); the Nokia account only for Nokia phones.

We've never created a Nokia account but I think it's for registering your phone and simplifying service. I think it may be more of a marketing thing than MS. Perhaps someone who has one can clarify the benefits.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
A Nokia account does one thing at least, syncs all your saved locations in Here maps so you can see them online or on any Here app. Also works across their forums and Mixradio and any other service they provide.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Nokia account is required to subscribe to mixradio plus or purchase music through that portal. To use their free version you don't need to have a Nokia acct.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for adding that.

I just looked at Here Drive and Here Maps on my HTC 8X and they'll also let me sign in using my MS account or a Facebook account.

Kerry Andrews

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
A Nokia account does one thing at least, syncs all your saved locations in Here maps so you can see them online or on any Here app. Also works across their forums and Mixradio and any other service they provide.

Can these things not be done with a Microsoft account?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
What is the difference between a Microsoft account and a Nokia account? Are they actually the same thing?

they can be one and the same or you could opt to have two different account names. I have had the same for both since the Nokia buyout was rumored. Makes keeping up with things a bit easier.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Can these things not be done with a Microsoft account?

It might be possible after Black. I've noticed that if you go to settings > Nokia account, there is now an option to sign in with your Microsoft or Facebook account. I have a Nokia account as well, so I haven't tried it out myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos