Lumia Black: Glance not shifting display position

b8ll

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
After upgrading to GDR3/Black, the Glance display ( clock and icons ) no longer periodically shifts its position. As I have the "always on when charging" and a DT-910 on my nightstand, should this be a concern for the LCD screen?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
After upgrading to GDR3/Black, the Glance display ( clock and icons ) no longer periodically shifts its position. As I have the "always on when charging" and a DT-910 on my nightstand, should this be a concern for the LCD screen?
same here. I remember it moved a few times after update but then stopped and always displays in the bottom left. No problem. LC Displays nowadays are less prone to burn-in problems (this is very dim anyway). If set to peek it will only show when you move your hand across the proximity sensor (unless you have it set to always show at night). Hope they fix this soon with an update for glance.

from wikipedia: "For LCDs, burn-in develops in some cases because pixels permanently lose their ability to return to their relaxed state after a continued static usage profile. In more typical usage profiles, this image persistence in LCD is only transient."

Last edited:

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
That is done for a purpose, the LCD light placed at the buttom, so putting the glance close to the light will make the light needed to be less and so save battery life, in the case of AMOLED each pixels light itself and consumes much less power...

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That is done for a purpose, the LCD light placed at the buttom, so putting the glance close to the light will make the light needed to be less and so save battery life, in the case of AMOLED each pixels light itself and consumes much less power...
but the L920 is not AMOLED

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I can note that lumia black is causing a lot of problems lately. People are always complaining about battery draining, glance screen, auto reboot, etc. id better to not update my 920

grandmalfunk

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Same here with my new 1020. I updated to black as well as getting using sysapp pusher to make sure I had the latest version of glance. What's weird is that my 920, which I just retired yesterday, had the display static to the bottom left corner. The 1020 that I activated last night has the display moving. Any idea why that is?

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It is impossible to "burn in" an LCD screen. It is image persistence and can be fixed by displaying a solid white picture on the screen over night. It also takes many, many days of a static image being displayed to cause image persistence. As dim as the glance screen is and as little time that it is normally displayed, image persistence should not be a problem.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Same here with my new 1020. I updated to black as well as getting using sysapp pusher to make sure I had the latest version of glance. What's weird is that my 920, which I just retired yesterday, had the display static to the bottom left corner. The 1020 that I activated last night has the display moving. Any idea why that is?
The Nokia Lumia 1020 has a 4.5-inch HD AMOLED, while the 920 has an LCD. I think the difference between moving and not has been associated above with whether AMOLED or LCD. Your observation seem to confirm that (just a guess right now).

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It is impossible to "burn in" an LCD screen. It is image persistence and can be fixed by displaying a solid white picture on the screen over night. It also takes many, many days of a static image being displayed to cause image persistence. As dim as the glance screen is and as little time that it is normally displayed, image persistence should not be a problem.
exactly (see above)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos