Can't connect to any home WIFI when on airplane mode.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi. It seems like I'm having some weird issues with the WIFI connections when my phone is on airplane mode. I can't connect to both of my home WIFI - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Both of the SSIDs are not being displayed at all, until I turned off airplane mode. However, both my Nexus 7 (2013) and HTC One are working fine with their airplane modes.

Is this some crazy limitations of Windows Phone again?

Thanks!

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't even try to connect to WiFi in airplane mode, regardless of the phone OS.

Not asking if you would even try, but the question is are you able to connect to WIFI when on flight mode. Being on flight mode doesn't mean that we can't use the device over WIFI.

wp_ss_20140203_0001.jpg

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have an unbranded/unlocked Android Nexus 5 that I use as my personal phone and I have an unbranded/unlocked Windows HTC 7 Trophy that I use as my work phone. My understanding of the airplane mode was that it suspends transmitting functions on a phone, ie, type in a URL and you can't transmit it to get to a web site.

I see the picture you posted. I take it flight mode is the same as airplane mode, correct? or is that a new function? It says it says it shuts off WiFi, bluetooth and NFC, but you can turn them on separately. So are you saying you turned it on flight mode, and then turn on WiFi separately and it didn't work?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an unbranded/unlocked Android Nexus 5 that I use as my personal phone and I have an unbranded/unlocked Windows HTC 7 Trophy that I use as my work phone. My understanding of the airplane mode was that it suspends transmitting functions on a phone, ie, type in a URL and you can't transmit it to get to a web site.

I see the picture you posted. I take it flight mode is the same as airplane mode, correct? or is that a new function? It says it says it shuts off WiFi, bluetooth and NFC, but you can turn them on separately. So are you saying you turned it on flight mode, and then turn on WiFi separately and it didn't work?

Thanks for your reply.

I turned on the flight mode aka airplane mode, followed switching on the WIFI connection on the 1020. But I'm not seeing the SSID of my home WIFI being listed under the list of available access points. However, the SSID will appeared after I exited from flight mode. Now, this ponders me. Why can't it detect the SSID when on flight mode? The phone already has the SSID registered before, so I'm not sure why it is not displaying at all when WIFI is turned on with flight mode.

Understand that there is a regulation which Flight mode will not be allow to scan for 5GHz networks, but my router is running at 2.4GHz wireless networks (802.11b or g).
Nokia Lumia 1020 - Why can I not see my 5GHz WiFi access point during Flight (offline) mode ?€“ Troubleshooting ?€“ Questions and Answers - Nokia - India

Likewise, I tested on my Nexus tablet and HTC One with flight mode on and they are able to see and connect to the SSID perfectly. Things work well on my personal notebook too. Therefore, the problem can't be with my router, but 1020 instead. Seems like it happen only after the Black update.

I wonder am I the only unlucky one facing such issue.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have discovered the solution to this strange situation. If anyone else is also facing the same issue, do let me know and I will see if the solution is right for you too.

PS: Problem lies with Windows Phone OS I believe, because this issue is not happening on my Android devices.

Deviantelf

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I just tried it on my phone (1020 Black update, USA, ATT branded). Worked fine for me so it can't be an overall WP issue.

Turned on airplane mode (it's "airplane mode" in my settings). It turned off wifi and removed the whole phone network icon. Then I went to WiFi and turned it on. It pulled up all the networks around me and automatically connected to my home WiFi (which it is set to). I was also able to connect to a local free WiFi.

I don't know anything about what's allowed legally, as the last time I used airplane mode on a plane there was no signals allowed at all, you could just use your phone for offline games, music, or other programs. But based on what you said about your SSID not showing up in the list, are you sure your WiFi is set to an allowed frequency? As in double checked the settings of the router?

I know you said you found a solution, but I wanted to weigh in that it works fine for me and I can't see how it could be a WP issue from what you've said anyhow.

airrob

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi chmun77!

I've the same problem on my 920 since updated (lumia black), and it's really annoying because I always use flight mode + my home wifi...

Please tell me the solution.

Thanks!!!

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm I have an ICON. I just tried this scenario. With airplane mode on. I can connect to WiFi just fine. I have to retype my password but that's it. Connects fine. I wonder if it is device specific and the update messed it up. Have you guys tried rebooting your phones and trying again?

airrob

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I tried...

It's really annoying, when flight mode is off I can see my wifi and my neighbour's too, but when I turn flight mode on, I can't see my network, but I still see my neighbour's...

Turning wifi, phone on/off doesn't help...

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
On my 920 with black update I notice that with airplane mode on and WiFi turned on only my 2.4GHz network is visible where as with airplane mode off both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks are visible.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Try a different access point. I replaced my dlink and my connectivity issues have been taken care of.

EDIT: also, go to Dlink's website and see if there are any firmware updates for your access point.

airrob

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Firmware didn't help, but i realized sg new: my girlfriend has a 620 what just have got the Black update. Before i started the install, i had tried my home wifi while Flight Mode had been on, and it has worked fine! BUT after i finished the Black installation the same problem appeared. So there is sg wrong with the Black update, not with my router what means from now i can't use wifi while Flight Mode is on neither on our phones :( if anyone has the solution please tell me! Thanks

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Hi chmun77!

I've the same problem on my 920 since updated (lumia black), and it's really annoying because I always use flight mode + my home wifi...

Please tell me the solution.

Thanks!!!

I'm having the exact same issue with my 920 since the black update. Did you get an answer?

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Tried mine now. And it works. Now my phone is on flight mode and I can post here with the help of WiFi.

Sent from my RM-937_im_mea3_1019 using Tapatalk

airrob

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Chmun77!

May we have your help?

Thanks

I have discovered the solution to this strange situation. If anyone else is also facing the same issue, do let me know and I will see if the solution is right for you too.

PS: Problem lies with Windows Phone OS I believe, because this issue is not happening on my Android devices.

nooaah

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Wifi does work in airplane mode, as stated above. Like any Android or iOS device, all communications (e.g. cell radio, wifi radio, bluetooth) are shut off. You have to manually flip wifi back on. And it is perfectly legal in the US and Canada as most major airlines do offer in flight wifi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss