Will go live tonight!

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I was excited for this phone as most of you here are/were for it when it was first announced. At this point though, several months later, it's lost its luster after getting the following tweet from Nokia-US today: "We have nothing to announce at this time, but thanks for reaching out!". Why should I be surprised at this? UUuuggghhhh.

Why would they tweet that? Did you ask them something?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

VirtualDanMan

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yup. They were hyping up music apps for the Lumia. I said it's great but would be better on an Icon/929. Asked if there was any news on it. That's the reply I got from them.

VirtualDanMan

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Why would they tweet that? Did you ask them something?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Yup. They were hyping up music apps for the Lumia. I said it's great but would be better on an Icon/929. Asked if there was any news on it. That's the reply I got from them.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Verizon ever announced this phone. I don't think Nokia or Microsoft announced this phone. All we have are a bunch of blurry pictures, specs, cases, and ticked off people. No one has any definitive reason why this rumored phone has not been released. For Verizon, the bottom line is money and if they though could release it and make money, they would. For Nokia/Microsoft, the bottom line is reputation. If they release a Windows phone that has issues, they will be hurt.

I want this phone as much as anyone and look for an announcement every day. But hopefully, when or if it's released, it will be solid and without issues.

Well you are partially correct. It's never been officially announced.

But we have WAY more than just blurry pictures. We have multiple confirmations from Verizon employees that the phone exists and should be coming soon. We had the Verizon Wireless website itself actually post up a test page for the Icon.....including all of its specs. We have a shop in China actually selling the phone with Verizon tags on it!

VirtualDanMan

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

But we have WAY more than just blurry pictures. We have multiple confirmations from Verizon employees that the phone exists and should be coming soon. We had the Verizon Wireless website itself actually post up a test page for the Icon.....including all of its specs. We have a shop in China actually selling the phone with Verizon tags on it!

True but this is like the "Trophy" all over again. Way to long to get it announced and out the door.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Most people aren't as obsessed with checking the internet every few minutes for a rumored phone that hasn't been announced, so the majority of users aren't really impacted by all these perceived delays.
Of course, it's the early adopters getting annoyed, but for phones, early adopters are less important.

As for the specs, well, it was going to be behind the times regardless. Every WP phone has been behind the times. Given that the WP7/8 phones have had outdated specs, it isn't the end of the world from a user perspective. No apps are much maxing out devices, especially for WP8, and one phone in one country wouldn't change that.

And, to the DOA point, well, with a new Galaxy around the corner, do you really think this device wouldn't be DOA relative to a new Galaxy?

Are you serious with this?

Chipset-Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800
CPU -Quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400
GPU -Adreno 330
- 20 MP, Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, autofocus, dual-LED flash. 1/2.5'' sensor size, PureView technology, dual capture, geo-tagging, face detection, panorama.
- SNS integration
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated mic
- 7GB free SkyDrive storage
- 5.0" 1080 x 1920 pixels (~441 ppi pixel density)
- AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 32 GB, 2 GB RAM

Yeah....that's so outdated. Yes I realize the Galaxy S5 will have the latest and greatest Snapdragon 805 and 3GB of RAM.......BFD. It's also an ANDROID and most people around here are interested in WP.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you serious with this?

Chipset-Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800
CPU -Quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400
GPU -Adreno 330
- 20 MP, Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, autofocus, dual-LED flash. 1/2.5'' sensor size, PureView technology, dual capture, geo-tagging, face detection, panorama.
- SNS integration
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated mic
- 7GB free SkyDrive storage
- 5.0" 1080 x 1920 pixels (~441 ppi pixel density)
- AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 32 GB, 2 GB RAM

Yeah....that's so outdated. Yes I realize the Galaxy S5 will have the latest and greatest Snapdragon 805 and 3GB of RAM.......BFD. It's also an ANDROID and most people around here are interested in WP.

You realize the biggest complaint people have about the delays is that "it will be outdated, right?"
Yet you choose to ignore them and reply to me, the guy saying that it would be equally outdated regardless of when it hits.

And yes, it is outdated, if your biggest concern is having top of the line specs. Sorry, no Windows Phone has ever been near what Samsung and Apple are doing. Launching this in December wouldn't have changed that. Launching this in March wouldn't change that.
So, my point is that specs are meaningless, yet you single me out to try to say "but people are interested in WP, not the best specs!!!!!"

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
You realize the biggest complaint people have about the delays is that "it will be outdated, right?"
Yet you choose to ignore them and reply to me, the guy saying that it would be equally outdated regardless of when it hits.

And yes, it is outdated, if your biggest concern is having top of the line specs. Sorry, no Windows Phone has ever been near what Samsung and Apple are doing. Launching this in December wouldn't have changed that. Launching this in March wouldn't change that.
So, my point is that specs are meaningless, yet you single me out to try to say "but people are interested in WP, not the best specs!!!!!"

Because you're the one that said it'd be outdated no matter when it released. You realize this is more powerful than the S4, right? So if it launched way back in November when it was originally leaked, it wouldn't be outdated. I still wouldn't really call it outdated now, but with the S5 around the corner, which will no doubt have better specs than this, it'll only be a phone for us WP fans at this point and probably won't lure anybody away from Android like it potentially could have a few months ago.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

The Lumia 1520 was one of the first phones to launch with the Snapdragon 800. I think they've caught up in specs.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm as big an Android "phanboy" as they come, but this post is pure bs. If you would have said that WP is behind Android with apps, then yes, you would have been dead on. WP is NOT behind android as far as current specs go though. They have had a history of being behind, but that appears to be a thing of the past with the 1520 and now the soon to be released 929.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

felickz

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

frys in Cali had one on display last week!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
frys in Cali had one on display last week!

Wow, they are being ridiculous with this wait. Can we make this thread, the "Nothing to do until Verizon announces the Lumia 929/Icon thread"?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm as big an Android "phanboy" as they come, but this post is pure bs. If you would have said that WP is behind Android with apps, then yes, you would have been dead on. WP is NOT behind android as far as current specs go though. They have had a history of being behind, but that appears to be a thing of the past with the 1520 and now the soon to be released 929.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Alright, which WP phone, that can be bought right now, equals the GS4 or the One?
The 1520 bests them (though it took 9 months to do so), and then... uh...

Hmm.

Nothing. No other phone with a recent processor. The 925 used a processor well over a year old.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Because you're the one that said it'd be outdated no matter when it released. You realize this is more powerful than the S4, right? So if it launched way back in November when it was originally leaked, it wouldn't be outdated. I still wouldn't really call it outdated now, but with the S5 around the corner, which will no doubt have better specs than this, it'll only be a phone for us WP fans at this point and probably won't lure anybody away from Android like it potentially could have a few months ago.

It leaked in November, that doesn't mean anyone expected it to launch in November.
The S4 came out in March. You'd expect it to be faster. But wait for the S5, which is what it now competes against.

People keep mentioning the 1520. That's one phone. One. The Lumia released before the 1520, the 925, used a 16 month old processor.

Sorry, if you're a specs person, WP8 isn't your answer. You shouldn't be here. WP8 has historically been WAY behind on specs. Does it matter? I don't think so. But for the people here whining about specs, go find another OS. WP8 is not going to be the answer for you. Microsoft has been slow to update the software to allow modern specs, Nokia has been slow to adopt modern specs, and carriers are slow to approve the hardware. The R&D budget is significantly smaller than Samsung's, Qualcomm's incentive to get new hardware to Nokia is well behind its incentive to work with Samsung, and the incentive for any carrier to approve the hardware in a timely manner is well behind the need to have the new Galaxy on the shelf ASAP.

Microsoft and Nokia have never really focused on the specs war and they don't seem to be overly excited about beginning. Apple also doesn't bother, giving arbitrary numbers that can't be easily compared. But, for the person whining about how they need the latest and greatest of any phone, go to the Galaxy. It'll be years before you get a Lumia with the raw power of a new Galaxy.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It leaked in November, that doesn't mean anyone expected it to launch in November.
The S4 came out in March. You'd expect it to be faster. But wait for the S5, which is what it now competes against.

It leaked in September. And intelligence lead WPCentral, the most reliable WP news source on the internet, to expect it to be launched in November. Verizon Nokia Lumia 929 coming in early November in Black and White, $500 off-contract | Windows Phone Central

I mostly agree with you - but stop trying to dampen the blow. This isn't cool.

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

People keep mentioning the 1520. That's one phone. One. The Lumia released before the 1520, the 925, used a 16 month old processor.

Sorry, if you're a specs person, WP8 isn't your answer. You shouldn't be here. WP8 has historically been WAY behind on specs. Does it matter? I don't think so. But for the people here whining about specs, go find another OS. WP8 is not going to be the answer for you. Microsoft has been slow to update the software to allow modern specs, Nokia has been slow to adopt modern specs, and carriers are slow to approve the hardware. The R&D budget is significantly smaller than Samsung's, Qualcomm's incentive to get new hardware to Nokia is well behind its incentive to work with Samsung, and the incentive for any carrier to approve the hardware in a timely manner is well behind the need to have the new Galaxy on the shelf ASAP.

Microsoft and Nokia have never really focused on the specs war and they don't seem to be overly excited about beginning. Apple also doesn't bother, giving arbitrary numbers that can't be easily compared. But, for the person whining about how they need the latest and greatest of any phone, go to the Galaxy. It'll be years before you get a Lumia with the raw power of a new Galaxy.

You keep contradicting yourself. This post would have been very true a year or two ago, but Microsoft and Nokia have seemed to realize that, while WP doesn't need the latest and greatest to operate smoothly, it does need better processors to add better features, make the camera faster, etc, and that shows over the last several months. Microsoft may have been slow to incorporate higher hardware capabilities into the software, but Nokia has been quick to release new devices to take advantage of it. The 1520 came out as soon as quad core and 1080p were supported.

As for there only being one phone that bests the S4 and HTC One, isn't that all we really need to prove our point? Yes it came out after, but it's also BETTER. If it comes out after them, it should be better, and as it turns out, it is! (From a hardware standpoint) Also, Nokia is one company. Companies typically only have one or two flagship devices, and this is currently Nokia's. The Icon will join it to make 2 flagships for Nokia when it comes out, and if it beats the S5 to market, it will still be more powerful than the current Galaxy S4. You might think WP8 isn't the OS for people who are hardware snobs, but Nokia and Microsoft seem to disagree as of late. You can talk about history all you want, but all that really matters is recent history since they've been doing a fine job of catching up lately. You can say they've never focused on the specs war, but their camera hardware and recent adoption of quad core CPUs and 1080p displays seems to disagree with that too. If they want to continue gaining market share from Android and iOS, they're going to need to continue their more recent development path, as lagging behind is a good way to become history.

Most of the people are only complaining because they CARE about the future of Windows Phone, and the Icon releasing back in November, when it was originally rumored to be releasing, would have helped immensely more to pick up market share than releasing right before (or after, who knows at this point) the next Galaxy S, the highest selling phones on the market right now.

Personally, I've owned an HTC Trophy, 2 920's, and 2 928's. I've since taken leave of WP to give Android a shot with an S4, and decided Android just isn't for me. The Icon is my next phone unless it gets pushed back beyond another flagship WP on Verizon or unless it never gets released. I've been using WPs for awhile and am a Microsoft shareholder. I just want to see them do well and gain market share. I think we can all agree this delay hasn't helped.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss