Please talk me into a Lumia over Apple

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
As for showing your pictures to clients, consider getting something like the Lumina 2520 along with the 1020.

Something of interest to you if you like (need) to display pictures to clients is the tandem of Nokia Share/Nokia Storyteller/Nokia Beamer.

If you install Nokia Share on your phone and Nokia Storyteller to your tablet you can view the pix from your phone via your tablet. Another option is Nokia Beamer which allows you to show your phone's screen on any display connected to the Internet (TV, monitor, laptop, tablet). You can even share the connection remotely via email, SMS or social media and with as many people as you want.

Hope this helps,
Techiedude

Jonny702

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It would also be nice if Otterbox comes out with a Defender series for this. I will say I attribute my iPhone's complete lack of cracks or scratches to having it in that case and not to my own coordination LOL.
If you go for the 1020 (in my opinion a more practical sized phone with I'm pretty sure the best camera even between the 1520) the otterbox defender is available Nokia Lumia 1020 Case | Defender Series by OtterBox

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd say go with Lumia simply because the hardware is on par with Apple if not better. This year is going to be an even bigger one for Nokia (ehh . . . Microsoft? lol).

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just took a look at one of the high res pics off my Lumia 1020, and it's 72 dpi with a res of 7712x4352.

It does have RAW support though you could likely make your own jpg at whatever dpi you want in photoshop.

At that resolution, the photo can be sized in proportion to pretty much whatever resolution you want - for instance, at resolution 576 pixels/inch, your looking at a 13.29" x 7.5" image full resolution - at 72dpi, the image size is 60"x107" - you can do whatever you want with that, hence the lossless zoom. You can zoom in 4x's, and still get full resolution image.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd say go with Lumia simply because the hardware is on par with Apple if not better. This year is going to be an even bigger one for Nokia (ehh . . . Microsoft? lol).

In the interest in un-biasedness (I know it's not a word), but this simply is not true. Apple have their own custom CPUs and they smoke Snapdragons easily.

Jack Larson1

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Most of your concern have already been addressed and yes i agree that the Windows platform is secure, better than android as everything is sandboxed so no problem of viruses also. Photos are great even on low end phones. About the support Microsoft will continue the support for all windows 8 devices.
I think the best feature to lure you into buying a windows phone is that is lag free the OS is buttery smooth. Also as it is in development phase new features gets added everytime. And lastly there is some problems you might face with apps due to windows phone limitations. Also no file manager.

Sent from my L620 using Tapatalk

This is true; but seriously come on. You cant go without flappy bird? I've done absolutely fine on Windows Phone with the lower app count (which is actually getting better by the day). I understand that people "want it all. want it all now", but with a 3rd place OS we arent going to GET it all without a user base and support. You cant eat your cake and have it to (Thats the correct ordering of the phrase btw :p).

Name these apps; because the most used ones usually have 3rd party offerings that match the features you say are missing

Youtube experience is not non existant!

myTube | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (Australia)

Who cares if hasnt been updated since December? What is actually missing from that app that makes you think it NEEDS updating? When an app was last updated has nothing to do with the quality of it. No point updating if it isnt required! That was a silly statement.

are you kidding? The facebook app is actually really really good!

Not everyone uses google services (i dont).

Not true. What about UC browser? If you are saying this because its essentially a frame for IE (a very good one!) then the same can be said for iphone on which i believe all browsers use Safari's rendering engine. (correct me if I'm wrong) So again the point is moot.

I just think your post was a little alarmist; provide the guy some solid information yes, but dont get all melodramatic on us, please! :winktongue:

don't forget Bing, plus you can switch engines from IE to google in settings!

btw, don't forget wireless charging and NFC if you are buying a WP!

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I would hold off from buying a new smartphone for the next few months given all the announcements expected around April. If I had to pick a Windows Phone device to invest in, it would solely be the Lumia 1520. Window Phone has a history of applying arbitrary hardware limitations on its platform, forcing manufacturers to output low spec'd devices. When a major OS change comes out, all the current devices get left in the dust. There are more than a handful of articles speculating about a potential merger of RT and WP, and I expect any major OS changes to happen sooner than later.

The main reasons you should leave iOS are larger displays and Live Tiles. You shouldn't have to open an app or slide a notification bar down to see basic info like Weather updates, Text messages, Emails, News and app updates. Also you will find yourself Pinch-to-Zooming 50% less with a 4.5"+ display.

mpr

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi GPendolino,
I am following the mobile device market since the late nineties and I had all kinds of PDAs and later Smartphones on all Platforms you can imagine.
Since Windows Phone came out a few years ago I switched over to this - back then new platform, because I had insight about the plans for the platform and knowledge on other MS Enterprise and Consumer products MS already had and / or were working on.
Today I see all those Solutions coming together and the MS Vision becomes clear for more people. The current platform is based on the Windows NT Kernel, just like Windows 8 and RT.
The Integration and unification between the platforms like Windows 8.1, Windows RT, Windows Phone, Xbox is very advanced already and all those products work together quite beautifully already.
Imagine how cool it is to use the same Apps on your WP, Xbox One and Windows Tablet?.
MS Cloud, Unified Communication and Office Solutions are unparalleled and Stretch across all MS Platforms.
Windows Phone itself takes the best of the Windows world, iOS and Android.
It is programed very Close to the Hardware for great Performance and low power consumption.
It is a relatively closed Environment, very secure due to its architecture and double sandboxed concept (unlike Apple with its never ending and ignored security holes and Googles notoriously unsafe Android).
It has a uniform UI experience, no matter if you use a low cost Lumia 520 or a high end 1520 - All have the same security and Basic Features / very low OS fragmentation. Apple provides a great UI and relatively uniform experience, but you have not really a choice on phones ? you are stuck with the expensive High End. On Android, you have a great selection of devices across all price ranges, but not uniform UI experience and security.
To your Points:
1: Anybody can easily pull anything from an iPhone it has been proven various times to be - out of the box - quite unsafe and easy to get access to. On WP, you can easily and at any time - out of the box - locate your phone, erase it and you have the peace of mind, that your data on the device is secure due to its safe architecture. Your Pictures and Videos on the SD Card may be visible, but Documents on the phone are encrypted and safe.
2: iPhone security has largely existed in Apples PR. This has nothing to do with reality. It is - out of the box ? unsecure and cluttered with security holes. Despite "certifications" Apple likes to Show off. Of course, there are solutions to make it secure, but after the downfall of Blackberry, Windows phone is clearly the most secure and manageable platform on the market today. Not only for businesses, but also for consumers.
3: One Thing I noticed on the App Situation across the platforms. iOS and Android have a lot of Apps in their respective Stores, that are nothing but repackaged mobile Websites.
The majority of Apps are available on WP today.
Best example was the Time Reporting App from our Partner who sent us an email that they also have an app for iOS and Android - not for Windows phone which is our Standard platform. Everybody was complaining about the Windows phones then, until I sent out a link to our partner's mobile web site which looked 100% like the app you could download on iOS and Android. You don't need an App for everything.
4: The outstanding capabilities of Nokias Cameras and how especially the high Megapixel Versions on the 1020 and 1520 work, have been reviewed multiple times. And although the lastes iPhone cameras are very good, the Lumia Cameras are just so much better. And you are in control of every Setting you can - as a regular consumer - think of.
I have a Lumia 1520 in front of me. The regular, high Quality pics are uploaded to my Skydrive and the super high Resolution ones are stored on the SD Card. It all depends on your Settings - you have the choice. Plus you have RAW file Support. This is outstanding if you use products like Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom.
5. With the Lumia platform you are in safe Hands. MS and Nokia will continue Support and also provide Upgrades to future OS Versions like 8.1, etc.

I hope I was able to help with your decision.

dj_ricks

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have just had the exact same problem, I had a iPhone 4 32GB and since iOS7 it ruined the phone. I could either get the iPhone 5s or I had my eye on the 1020 lumia. On the exact same contract with o2 I could either get the iPhone 5s with 32GB for ?37 a month and ?110 up front, or the 1020 for ?37 a month and no up front payment!!

I got the 1020 and love it, the only down side is losing some of the apps I used but there aren't many and I have found some work arounds. Main apps I lost were logmein and the Sky app to control my sky box. No replacement for the sky app but I have moved to teamviewer instead of using logmein, apart from that the camera is so so good and the Nokia camera apps are ace. The whole WP platform I like to use over the iPhone now and I use Microsoft's Sky/One drive and have a Xbox and Surface and the integration between them is awesome. In a nutshell I'm glad I moved to WP overall I like it more just miss a few apps, oh and if you worried about gaming on your WP there are plenty to keep you amused!!

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
About me: I am currently using an iPhone 4S 64gb. With all the apps and music I keep on hand I only have about 9gb available. For this reason, I'm doomed to buy another 64gb iPhone. What I hate about iPhones is how it's almost required that you update OS in order to get newer games and the OS itself almost cripples the device you once had working flawlessly.

The 1520 will accept a 64gb memory card, so free space shouldn't be a concern. In addition, set up skydrive, and you don't need to store more things locally.

I use my iPhone constantly. Since I take a train to work, I game the entire time. Sometimes it's simple stuff like Words With Friends or JetPack Joyride. Sometimes I like some of the higher end FPS games that Gameloft produces. My current hook is Dead Trigger 2.

Look through the wp app store to see if you'll be satisfied with the games out there. Most other apps seem to be available for wp, but games don't really seem to make their way over as often. This may be a big issue for you if you like to game on your phone a lot. You may be better off with a large screen android device, like the Note 3, if you're unhappy with the game selection for wp.

I'm also a photographer with a high end Nikon DSLR. Obviously you can see why a 1020 or 1520 would peak my interests, especially with some very finite manual controls over ISO, Exposure and WB (I do wish aperture was controllable).

If you like to use your phone camera a lot and are a pro, there's a compelling reason to look into the 1020 (the camera).

I keep a comprehensive collection of my photos on my iPhone and often use it to show perspective clients my work. I post all my work online but it's always watermarked. In fact, the ONLY time you'll ever see my photos without a watermark is if I'm sitting with you and allow you to scroll though them on my iPhone. It would be nice to show that work off on a bigger screen.

tablets have bigger screens than phones.. but if you want to use your phone for that, well, the 1520's screen is gorgeous. 6in and higher dpi than the tiny iphone screen. i think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody, whether or not they like wp, who would say negative things about the 1520's display.

1 - If (God forbid) I lose my iPhone with all those full resolution, non-watermarked photos, I'm not overly concerned with someone retrieving them. Not saying it's impossible but the majority of people that find the phone would probably not be able to retrieve any files from it. As compared with an Android or Windows phone with a MicroSD card in it. Pretty much anyone that finds one of those phones can pull the MicroSD card and retrieve any files from it. (Somewhat related, I see posts about the 16gb vs the 32gb 1520..... what's the difference if you're just going to cram a 64gb MicroSD in it anyways?)

there are ways to encrypt a sd card, but as i've said, you do not need to even bother with that. buy the space you need on skydrive and set your phone and computer to sync with it. when you pull up your camera roll, everything on skydrive is there complete with thumbnails. with how well skydrive integrates, you don't really need to store anything other than apps locally.

2 ? Security. Obviously concern ?1? is security related, but overall security is a big deal to me. In the world of personal and business computers, Apple has always been (or at least perceived to be) the more secure OS. Less vulnerabilities and attacks than a Windows platform. Is the same true in the smartphone world?

from what i've read about the way wp works, it's inherently going to be more secure. apps cannot see data from any other apps. every app thinks its the only app on your phone, and ms very strictly controls what apps are allowed to access and do.

3 ? Apps. As I mentioned, I love my games. I have a friend that made the switch from iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (at the time it was the flagship of any Android). After a week he went back to iPhone. He claimed that in many cases they had the same app but it was usually an older version than what he had on his iPhone. And that's in an Android market which has significantly more apps than W8 does. Are we seeing true development in apps in general in W8?

development has sped up a lot and the wp store is now pretty decent, but it's still not even close to on par with the itunes app store, and it won't be for the foreseeable future. here, judge for yourself, you can fully view the app store from here: The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States)

just one thing to note that does annoy me a little. while the wp apps tend to be much nicer looking than their ios/android counterparts, they also tend to lack features, as if the developers half as$ed it. for example, the wp tapatalk app looks great, but it lacks multiquote, and lacks moderation functions. the wp kindle app (which i note is not one of the better looking apps anyway) won't let you view kindle magazines or documents, only kindle books. the amazon store app doesn't allow in-app purchase of kindle books and you need to go to the amazon web page (which it will conveniently link you to) for that title to buy the kindle book you wanted.

4 ? Picture quality. One thing I noticed with the 8mp camera on my iPhone (which does take fantastic photos for a camera phone in my opinion) is that no matter what settings I use, the end result is still just a 72dpi photo. I'm just not sure what good it is having a 41mp or 20mp camera on a smartphone if at the end of the day I'm getting a low resolution 72dpi photo. Are any of you noticing this when transferring to a PC? I called Nokia support to pick their brain but they had me on hold for over 30 minutes and then said they'd get back to me although I'm not hopeful they will (which would make them on par with Apple and the horrible support they have).

the 1020 and 1520 can store the original full resolution raw files. given how high the mp count on both are, especially the 1520, when you set the pic sizes to normal and not to huge blown up 72dpi versions, you'll have a very high dpi count.

5 ? Continued support. Since MS has purchased the Nokia phone division, is there a future in owning a Lumia right now? Obviously in two years or so I'll probably end up with something else but I'd at least like to know that for the next two years I'm not on an abandoned platform.

MS didn't buy them to stop them from making phones. they may be rebranded (or maybe not), but the same people will be making the phones, and lumia's will continue to be supported.

I apologize if I rambled but this is a pretty big commitment. I'll be saddled with my decision for the next two years.

if it makes you feel better, if you look around, you can get either a 1020 or 1520 for dirt cheap on contract. i think i've seen the 1020 for practically free on some deals. this would at least free up a little money for you to buy another phone if you decide wp isn't for you.

i'll give you my overall take on WP as an android user who recently made the switch. i wouldn't say WP is "better"... it's different. in fact, it's so different that it's almost like MS set out to make a mobile os that had nothing at all in common with android or ios. it's easy to use, and has some superior features, but also has some inferior features (no separate volume for ringer and music? really? no forward button in IE? come on now). some standout features i would point out would be outlook (imo by far the best mobile email app out there), skydrive, and office (mainly because it integrates to well with skydrive; there are plenty of good office clones in the google play store). the nokia apps are all well done, and you're not really missing anything by going from google maps for your maps/nav to the nokia options.

i see some odd things posted in here, like wp being more "personal" than other os's. maybe than ios because ios doesn't let you change anything, but android? eh, you have far more freedom to customize android than you do wp. i see excuses for the wp app store (which really needs no excuses anymore, other than in the games area) such as "wp is social centric not app centric" which is silly given that often apps are needed to access social media. wouldn't put too much stock in that stuff being true. although on the topic of wp being "personal", if you're coming from ios, wp will definitely feel more personal, as you do have a lot more freedom to configure stuff than you do with ios.

good luck with whatever your decision is. btw, info on the upcoming iphone 6 has been released, and there will be two versions. a 4.8in screen version and a 5.5in screen version, so more screen real estate will very definitely be an option for you if you choose to stick with ios.

PBlessing

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I am going to focus on the Lumia 1020, it's apps and it's camera as this is what I use. First note it is a 32 GB phone but this is not as much of an issue as it may be with the apple. I have 126 apps installed and they only take up 7.6 GB and a further 1.1 GB is used up by Data. Along with about 40 songs and who knows how many photos I still have 15 GB free.

The Camera on the 1020 is the big draw with a 4MP camera. In reality what it takes is a 38 MP and a 5 MP image at the same time. You can take the photos in two formats JPG or DNG. Both have their benefits. DNG of course is a RAW format that allows (requires) you to adjust it in Photoshop and is in my opinion the highest quality. For JPG you have the option to zoom in save the image and then zoom back out and then back in to a different area and save again. You can create multiple detailed images from a single wide view shot.

I have downloaded and used almost all the major apps available for photography and post processing. There are dozens but I am going to just stick with my four primary ones. Thumba Photo Editor allows you to edit and save the photo in it's full size (does not reduce it like some apps do). It has a number of good filters and adjustments.SophieLens HD has some wonderful filters and lenses to give images a great look. It can be used live (while you are taking the photo) or afterwards. I prefer using the Nokia Camera so usually use SophieLens afterwards. Hipstamatic Oggl Pro is another app that has a number of filters and films styles you can use to adjust how a picture will come out (again live and after the fact). My favorite app though is Fantasia. It has wonderful effects and filters and is the only one that has masks so you can dodge, burn or effect just a section of the photo. It is by far the best of the lot.

The primary camera App, Nokia Camera, is an amazing app and camera. The only thing missing is the ability to set an F-stop and thus control your depth of field (this can be resolved though in post processing). To save these large images does take a second or two which keeps the camera from taking another picture right away. To over come this you can switch over to smart sequence which takes up to 12 (I think) shots in under 5 seconds and allows you to do effects such as motion blur, remove movement, animated images as well as pick the best shot. To see some of the quality shots that are avialable with this camera I recommend checking out the site We Are JUXT | a group of professional photographers who focus on camera phones. They used to be strictly iphone but have been migrating over to the 1020 and have some great galleries and tutorials.

A last note I am a massive gamer and play many of the same games as you do. True some of the aboslute latest games are not out yet for the WP8 but that is starting to change where they are all being released at the same time (and some first on the WP platform). I hope this helps sway you over to the Lumia and if you have any other questions please do not heasitate to ask.

ipinsao

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello W8 Phone users!

I am quite interested in going with the Nokia Lumia 1520 (or possibly the older 1020) and I'm reaching out to this community to address some concerns I have. This post is not meant to be a ?Pro iPhone? rant or anything. I really want to leave Apple all together and I'm hoping some of the impressions I have are unfounded and you can help me make the leap over to a Lumia :)

About me: I am currently using an iPhone 4S 64gb. With all the apps and music I keep on hand I only have about 9gb available. For this reason, I'm doomed to buy another 64gb iPhone. What I hate about iPhones is how it's almost required that you update OS in order to get newer games and the OS itself almost cripples the device you once had working flawlessly.

I use my iPhone constantly. Since I take a train to work, I game the entire time. Sometimes it's simple stuff like Words With Friends or JetPack Joyride. Sometimes I like some of the higher end FPS games that Gameloft produces. My current hook is Dead Trigger 2.

I'm also a photographer with a high end Nikon DSLR. Obviously you can see why a 1020 or 1520 would peak my interests, especially with some very finite manual controls over ISO, Exposure and WB (I do wish aperture was controllable).

I keep a comprehensive collection of my photos on my iPhone and often use it to show perspective clients my work. I post all my work online but it's always watermarked. In fact, the ONLY time you'll ever see my photos without a watermark is if I'm sitting with you and allow you to scroll though them on my iPhone. It would be nice to show that work off on a bigger screen.

Believe it or not, this is one of the main concerns I have with switching platforms.

1 - If (God forbid) I lose my iPhone with all those full resolution, non-watermarked photos, I'm not overly concerned with someone retrieving them. Not saying it's impossible but the majority of people that find the phone would probably not be able to retrieve any files from it. As compared with an Android or Windows phone with a MicroSD card in it. Pretty much anyone that finds one of those phones can pull the MicroSD card and retrieve any files from it. (Somewhat related, I see posts about the 16gb vs the 32gb 1520..... what's the difference if you're just going to cram a 64gb MicroSD in it anyways?)

2 ? Security. Obviously concern ?1? is security related, but overall security is a big deal to me. In the world of personal and business computers, Apple has always been (or at least perceived to be) the more secure OS. Less vulnerabilities and attacks than a Windows platform. Is the same true in the smartphone world?

3 ? Apps. As I mentioned, I love my games. I have a friend that made the switch from iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (at the time it was the flagship of any Android). After a week he went back to iPhone. He claimed that in many cases they had the same app but it was usually an older version than what he had on his iPhone. And that's in an Android market which has significantly more apps than W8 does. Are we seeing true development in apps in general in W8?

4 ? Picture quality. One thing I noticed with the 8mp camera on my iPhone (which does take fantastic photos for a camera phone in my opinion) is that no matter what settings I use, the end result is still just a 72dpi photo. I'm just not sure what good it is having a 41mp or 20mp camera on a smartphone if at the end of the day I'm getting a low resolution 72dpi photo. Are any of you noticing this when transferring to a PC? I called Nokia support to pick their brain but they had me on hold for over 30 minutes and then said they'd get back to me although I'm not hopeful they will (which would make them on par with Apple and the horrible support they have).

5 ? Continued support. Since MS has purchased the Nokia phone division, is there a future in owning a Lumia right now? Obviously in two years or so I'll probably end up with something else but I'd at least like to know that for the next two years I'm not on an abandoned platform.

I apologize if I rambled but this is a pretty big commitment. I'll be saddled with my decision for the next two years.

1. I'm not a professional photographer but I value all my photos and videos taken. I use skydrive to automatically backup my photos/videos. My phone backups my photos/videos when it senses my WiFi. My skydrive is setup to download files to my PC so it's backed up there too. My mom and dad are not that tech savy but they love taking photos so I just shared their skydrive photo folder and I just do the backup for them.

2. People can debate all the vulnerabilites and technicalities of all the different OS but bottom line is all of them can be cracked. However malware developers/hackers tend to target the popular OS. If I wanted to make a name for myself I wouldnt be hacking into those %3-%5 community of windows phone users, I would target the %60 Android community or the %30 Iphone users.

3. Apple and Android has more Apps than Windows but for me all I need is Office. But then again if security is your concern then you should be thinking seriously about Apps. When you install Apps you're also freely giving them your information and just because an App is certified in an App store doesn't mean the group behind the App is reputable. Many hate the Microsoft empire but I am more comfortable with them than some unknown App developer in some foreign country.

4. There's tons of great reviews about Lumia Cameras.

5. Microsoft has over 70 billion in cash even making huge profits from Android devices. Last year Microsoft announced that its goal is to be a devices and services company so no Windows Phone won't be abandoned it will continue to grow.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes you can drag and drop I know. But I meant you can just drag and drop through Windows Explorer without iTunes (or any other software).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa