My Experience - 920 to 1520 to 920

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
As a recent 1520 owner, I thought I would post my experience just in case others are contemplating a 1520 or want to know someones opinion after the "honey moon period". I will try to make this short and sweet, but feel free to ask questions:

Why did I pick the 1520?

I wanted the camera, screen and as a technerd the latest specs. I bought a Yellow 16GB version off contract in December.

What were my first impressions?

HUGE! I got comments from just about everyone I know. Family. Friends. Random people at bars/restaurants. No one noticed my 920... everyone noticed my 1520. A lot of jokes about carrying a tablet in your pocket.

I was also surprised at the lack of difference in 'feel'. Obviously the screen is much larger and there is a lot more usable real estate. But - to my surprise - it doesn't seem much faster/smoother/different. When buying a new phone, you typically expect there to be some UI difference... but really none. Even though it is way more powerful.

Also - I was worried about the only cases available being no-name knock offs. But I bought two and they were both quality.

Why did I switch back?

Well, I was able to unlock the phone from ATT. I want to leave ATT. My initial thought is I would take it to Tmo. But I have heard a lot of horror stories about features not working or the internet is super slow. So I put it on craigslist thinking that the VRZ 929/Icon would be coming out very soon. I listed it high expecting it to be a slow process. Nope. I sold it for a good amount almost immediately.

Whats it like when you switch back?

Not good. A couple days of using my 920... and I miss the 1520 sorely. This feels like a tinker toy. It sucks missing the extra row of tiles. I miss the screen and camera.. a lot. Although there is very little difference in the apps and experience inside the phone, the camera and screen are really.. really.. really top notch.

Side note: I often find myself patting my pockets just to make sure I have the 920 with me..

Side note 2: I took the 1520 on me during vacation. We took a bunch of pictures with it. I now have 2 family members with Galaxy S4s that want to switch to nokia. And.. This is huge.. My sister in law (whose husband works for APPLE) asked why my phone was so much better and if Apple made one this good. When explained that they did not, she said she wanted a Nokia for her next phone.

TLDR - Even though the UI is practically the same, the Camera and Screen make me miss the 1520 and I wish I still had one.

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Good writeup. I have found myself thinking about going back to the 920 because I liked the feel of the camera better, but I've often wondered how/what I'd miss from the 1520.

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
A week later and just about everything above stands - except for one thing. I have noticed the internet is much slower on the 920. Normal task are about the same, but there is a noticeable and dramatic difference in web browsing speed.

jinino

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Matt, could you share your reason not switching to 1020? Could it be you still hold your 920 while you get 1520?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums mobile app

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
After having my 1520 for a little over 2 months, it feels weird if I have to use the keyboard on a smaller phone.

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Matt, could you share your reason not switching to 1020? Could it be you still hold your 920 while you get 1520?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Thats correct. I bought the 1520, but I never sold my 920. I kept it around as the kids like to play games on it. When I sold the 1520, I just put my old sim back into the 920 and activated it.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
After having my 1520 for a little over 2 months, it feels weird if I have to use the keyboard on a smaller phone.

My wife's 920 feels so small now, and my co-worker's iPhone was near impossible to type on. It's funny how quickly you adjust to the size of this thing.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thats correct. I bought the 1520, but I never sold my 920. I kept it around as the kids like to play games on it. When I sold the 1520, I just put my old sim back into the 920 and activated it.
I use my 920 as an MP3 player and the 1520 as daily driver... Just wish ATT hadn't borked my 1520 by removing the qi charging.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I said in my own review that after being on the 1520 for just a few days, I can't imagine going back. I had to grab my 920 to get something off of it that didn't transfer and it was very strange just picking it up, and then trying to type on it? There is no hyperbole when I say it was night and day. This thing is the real deal for me and I wouldn't know what to do if I had to go back to my 920, and my 920 was the single best cell/smart phone I've ever owned, including anything Apple (who makes a fine product in my opinion).

Yeah, come to think of it, I'm scaring myself into needing a case now...!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss