What is your "backup plan? ?

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The problem is Touch Wiz. It is bloated and needs a refresh. Hardware is great as long as your okay with the plastic. Better options out there now though.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Have a gs3 and that was the biggest problem. Supposedly now that google sold motorola, there will be less "jealousy" between the two. Its rumored that google is gonna start putting pressure on samsung to ditch all the bloat, its out of hand on their phones.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
In the event that you are a.) Tired of waiting b.) Already moving or have moved on c.) Never were interested in the Icon... What handset are you, or have you moved to and what have you moved from?

I have an HTC One, can not switch carriers and So I have no VIABLE WP alternative, and I am considering a LG G2 or Note 3 for larger screen and better camera.

I wonder if the Android or iPhone forums have the "I'm tired of the Galaxy / iPhone 5S and want a new device now" type posts.

I mean, in your case O.P. you have an HTC One - by all accounts, a pretty great phone. From where I sit you have three choices:
1) Tough it out and wait.
2) Go to another carrier and get the device you want.
3) Forget the whole WP thing and get something else.

It sounds like you just want something new and don't care much about which o/s you have, so I'd suggest a Note 3. People really seem to enjoy those.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I kinda understand what he's saying! I'm on att and wouldn't mind an upgrade. But coming from a 920 ....theres not many choices. Went to a local att store to look at sum phones and on the WP section they had three phones! A 1520,1020,925! And the rest of the show room was filled with all kinds of androids .and I get it with apple there only a few choices also but they just work and there boring . I hope that's not what WP is aiming for. Any one heard of news on new att phone coming out??

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I have been wanting to switch to WP since last summer. That's when I first started taking a look around to see what I would be picking up in October, when my phone came off contract.

I have been with Verizon since the company was first formed, and the coverage is so much better than ATT this it's not a consideration to switch carriers.

I never had an iPhone, although I would have gladly bought one when they first came out (iPhone was originally an ATT exclusive, which is something of a recurring theme as a Verizon customer). I ended up on android because the Motorola Droid (the 2009 version with the hardware keyboard) was the first real smartphone available through Verizon. When iPhone came to Verizon I was already a happy android user, and saw no reason to switch. Quite frankly, my Droid Razor Maxx (my third Droid) is the best phone I ever owned, and by then it would have been inconceivable for me to switch to a tiny iPhone display. At that point I was also rid of iTunes (my iPod was handed down to the wife because I carried my tunes on my phone - drag and drop is so much easier), and I just couldn't see myself being restricted the way Apple required you to be.

In September, two of my daughters were up for renewal, and one got the Galaxy S4 and the other the Droid Ultra. Both love their phones, but by then I was really getting creeped out by the way Google was insinuating themselves into - and indexing - everything. I know they probably aren't indexing every word that a Droid Ultra is listening to, but they are not-so-subtly trying to get everyone on Chrome and Gmail, which they absolutely do index. To paraphrase what someone here recently said, I realized that am not Google's customer - I am their product.

After some reflection, I decided to start migrating away from Google. Unfortunately, with Android, it's not really possible to do so. I created an Outlook.com email account, and began taking all of my personal email there, but the calendar is still an issue. I moved my web searches to Bing, and found Bing to be 98% as good as Google, and improving. Once a week or so, I would find myself visiting Google to overcome a blind spot with Bing, and I used to get the result I was looking for, but recently, Google is presenting me with the same search results.

I use a Surface Pro as my main PC, and I am quite comfortable with Windows 8, which I really like. Unfortunately, Google crippled the integration between Google Calendar and Windows 8's calendar app, just as I have read they did with WP's native YouTube app. The Google calendar is what syncs my work Outlook calendar to my phone (I use a third-party program called CompanionLink), so I really want a phone where I can use my Outlook calendar as my main phone calendar and say goodbye to Google.

With all that said, when Nokia announced the 1520 I was ready to go pick one up that day. It had everything I wanted in a phone, only Nokia made it an ATT exclusive (the oversized nature of the phone doesn't bother me - my wife has a Note 2 and LOVES it). So I have been waiting and watching the forums for news and rumors and becoming more frustrated by the moment. In the meantime, my Razor Maxx has become quite long in the tooth and VERY laggy (maybe not everyone experiences this with Android, but I have tried just about everything and a 3-4 second wait while my 2-year-old phone freezes up is just too much).

If the Icon comes out this month, I fully expect to own one, although I am very concerned about the lack of a SD card slot (I have only 8gb internal storage on my Maxx, but also 32gb external, which is mostly full ATM) and the limited amount of storage on the phone. SkyDrive is nice, but I use already use SkyDrive for my work and I have about 6gb of work files that I use already synced to the HD on my Surface Pro. Buying more space is cheap enough, but then I am up against the limits of my Pro's 128gb hard drive (I use an external hard drive, so storage in general isn't an issue, but you can't sync that with SkyDrive and I have the full Adobe CC suite installed).

I am also concerned about having a bigger brighter screen than my Maxx with a much smaller battery. My Maxx's 3300mAh battery is more than 35% larger than the Icon's battery. It takes me all the way through the day on all but the busiest days - unless I am using it as a 4G hotspot for extended periods. It sounds like I will have to be charging the Icon at some point during most days - not exactly what I am looking for.

If Verizon delays this phone further and I hear about a new WP in the Verizon pipeline with an SD card slot (1520 anyone?) I might wait longer. But if my Razor Maxx dies in the meantime, the Galaxy note 3 is everything I want in a phone, including a 3200mAh battery. I might have to succumb to two more years of Google servitude.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I want to see how this Samsung Verizon WP goes. If that's bad then, I'll grab a 928 online. If not that my last resort is use my Moto X until December and see what's out then.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry 10 because security plays in huge factor now days and it is the right thing to protect yourself.

You understand that if you are just using a phone as an everyday device, and are not on an encrypted server, BB 10 offers absolutely no security advantages? Even if on a secure system, anyone who thinks BB hasn't given agencies a backdoor into their system is being very na?ve. BTW, the Android runtime in BB 10 Is just about as secure as any other version of Android. In fact, I believe a major security flaw regarding the runtime allowing Android apps access to secure information was just announced today....

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You understand that if you are just using a phone as an everyday device, and are not on an encrypted server, BB 10 offers absolutely no security advantages? Even if on a secure system, anyone who thinks BB hasn't given agencies a backdoor into their system is being very na?ve. BTW, the Android runtime in BB 10 Is just about as secure as any other version of Android. In fact, I believe a major security flaw regarding the runtime allowing Android apps access to secure information was just announced today....

If you don't run android apps you'll be fine. With BlackBerry 10 you can decide what apps have permission to use what. Android has this to an extent, being you have to use an app and be running less than 4.4.2. because Google removed it. Also it much less being scared of the the gov't looking at what you are doing and more being more scared by the amount of info Google itself collects. (Hint: if you are not aware of the Google Dashboard you'll be in for a shock)

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
In reality, how is the GS4? I've heard some pretty bad review from the people I know that have it.

The problem is Touch Wiz. It is bloated and needs a refresh. Hardware is great as long as your okay with the plastic. Better options out there now though.

I wouldn't recommend the GS4 with Touch Wiz. If you could get the Play edition or load a ROM it would be ok. But the VZW GS4 is laggy and not impressive on the performance front. The plastic isn't awful, but not my favorite. I can make it about 36 hours syncing one email and very little other use. Typically need to reboot once a day and I've been having random txt notifications with no txt. Then later I'll find an unread txt that appeared at some point. At this point I'd take an iPhone over this thing and I'm not a fan of Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss