Hello WPC community! My grandmother would like to purchase a cheap smartphone. I am looking at the AT&T prepaid Lumia 520 as it's very reasonably priced. She would like to be able to use it in the United States, and take it back to her home country of Bangladesh, change the SIM and use it there. I'm hearing that the Lumia 520 does not support GSM and therefore might not work in other countries. Does anyone know if this device would work for these purposes?
    02-07-2014 10:13 PM
    The Nokia Lumia 520 definitely supports GSM. What carrier does she plan to use in Bangladesh?
    02-07-2014 11:24 PM
    Hello WPC community! My grandmother would like to purchase a cheap smartphone. I am looking at the AT&T prepaid Lumia 520 as it's very reasonably priced. She would like to be able to use it in the United States, and take it back to her home country of Bangladesh, change the SIM and use it there. I'm hearing that the Lumia 520 does not support GSM and therefore might not work in other countries. Does anyone know if this device would work for these purposes?
    Make sure you understand the issues involved with unlocking an AT&T phone. Here is the official guidance. Please note the Lumia 520 from AT&T is a GoPhone...

Unlock a prepaid or GoPhone device

In addition to the general eligibility requirements, your device must have been active for at least six months.

Unlock your AT&T wireless phone or tablet - AT&T SupportÂ*

There is a rather long thread on the AT&T forums concerning issues getting phones unlocked that you may want to read before your purchase...

Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (Al... - AT&T Community Support

In addition you might look for a international unlocked version. Here is one example on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-52...pUvbUpU2340388

Make sure of the return policy in case the phone does not work as advertised...
    Last edited by Sooner Al; 02-08-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    02-08-2014 05:45 AM