Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) camera problem

Ookiie

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,
I've checked the forums for all lumia phones with OIS but couldn't find anyone mentioning this issue, but I found one video on youtube of a 925 with same problem and somewhere on some forum (can't remember) a 1520 with same problem.
Anyway, most of the times when pointing my 920 downwards at about 90 degrees (shooting at the floor) the camera starts to shake itself with hands steady (even with my elbows on a rock solid table), and when I move it just a bit it gets stable, then after a moment it starts to shake again. This is far more noticeable on the default WP camera app, or actually on any other app then Nokia Camera (it happens in Nokia Camera too, but is less noticable and can be fixed with moving the phone a bit). So I suppose this is a software issue rather than hardware as it looks like the OIS gyro gets wrong data and tries to "unshake" the pic. I took a video to show you guys what it looks like, but it also happens when taking photos, and yes they get blurry.
I'm running on Nokia Black with gdr3, but the friend who owned the phone before said he noticed this on previous versions too.

here is an example I made, notice the shake in the video while phone held as steady as I could with my hands, with elbows on the table and how it improves for a moment if I move it just a bit:
Lumia 920 shake problem. - YouTube

Also I noticed that photos taken with anything else then Nokia Camera usually gets totally blurred out, even not facing the phone down and with flash on - which is supposed to freeze the pic (not bad quality, but blurred like I was running, while actually standing TOTALLY still), this doesn't happen always but I'm rarely able to make a good photo with anything else then Nokia Camera app. Nokia Camera makes perfect photos though, ok, sometimes auto settings fail, but there is no bluring problem, I use it as default lens, but it is a problem using 6tag or facebook to directly take a photo as it rarely results in a good photo. I don't think this has something with the problem I described before, but rather a bad firmware optimization.

Is this a common problem or it might be bad OIS system/bad gyro? Anyone else experienced this kind of behavior and got it solved?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That is crazy looking! Was not expecting it to be that noticeable at all! There is for sure something up!

I've never had this issue though. Taking pics straight down (capturing receipts or what have you) always turn on great for me.

Ookiie

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
yeah I know... it's usually actually even worse than this. It might be the OIS gyro that is not well calibrated or the OIS system is broken itself.. weird though, the phone never fell down or anything. I've found this video on youtube, this dude has far bigger problems than me :D Lumia 920 - Broken image stabilizer - YouTube
But it seems like I'd need to send it for a repair, the phone is luckily still in warranty.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for bringing this camera problem. I hope Nokia will be aware of this.They are so hyped about adding a lot of features but they forget to fix the main features of lumia.

amiltoncosta

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Could you help me? My Lumia 1520 presents a similar problem in image stabilization, you managed to solve? Any solution?
Thanking you in advance for help.

Lessram

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Since 2 days exactly these problems on my 1520
I hoped it was a software/settings problem so did a hard reset.... factory restore and even re?nstalled WinPhone8.1
Didn't help at all.
The video shows exactly what I have, though on my 1520 it's even worse. Zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, zoom out etc.... Screen starts vibrating, apps randomly starting up, and on-screen buttons don't work anymore. Using the middle button (Display On/Off) makes the phone work again, as long as I don't use the camera.

So must be a hardware problem. :(
So have to send it..... Gladly my experience with Nokia Service is great. had to send in my daughters 520 twice before, and both times received fixed within a week.

toby182

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
THIS IS WHAT I FOUND. Not 100% if it is what everyone is looking for. I recently had the same problem after changing my housing for the phone. The picture appears shaken is due to its focusing mechanism. I stripped my 1520 and played around with it to find out what caused it. The camera VIBRATES like a mad dog when it is doing its work, causing the camera to see double.

All this problem could happen if your camera did not fit in its new housing properly, or falling out or not fitting into the rubber pad that sits around the housing (not the chassis), Making the camera dangling lose in the device. Think of those parts as its absorbers.

After opening it up, I find it interesting the 1520 is almost built in reverse, it greatly depends on the shell to hold everything in place, not just the chassis alone. NOW, the camera has nothing around it, but only hanging off its connecting socket. It has a good 1mm - 2mm of empty space around it, and a good empty 1cm from its connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05