How many plan "off contract" vs "on contract"?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell me how this "loophole" works?

Mrlugo88, pretty much spelled it out on his post above. If you have more than one line on your account, upgrade the line that doesn't have the unlimited data. When you get the phone activate on the line that has the unlimited data. Nothing says you have to activate a phone on the same line that you order for. The key is that you never touch the available upgrade on the unlimited data line. Never use it and don't transfer it to another line.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned, because of wanting to keep unlimited data.

I am tempted by what I read on another thread that Verizon is offering 6gb of data for $30 (which is the same as the unlimited data price), because even in my worst month I haven't gotten close to that. Of course I'm still on 3g (Trophy!!!) and I'd imagine with LTE (especially with an AWS future) that figure could go up.

Also, so I don't have to figure a way to come up with $500+ right away, I'm going to look strongly into the Device Payment Plan. It's the closest Verizon has to what T-Mobile is doing and it also let's us keep our unlimited data.

Marco Gomes1

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Allways unlocked phones and pre-paid plan. I can chose better options when they arise and the carrier, or i can drop`em whenever i want.
Made that contract mistake once with vodafone portugal Never again.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I used to do it to stay unlimited, but my mom used my upgrade apparently and renewed my contract.... now I just do it because I get multiple phones a year and dont want to wait 2 years to get a new one!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I was with AT&T for the past eight years and have only been on a contract the last year with one year to go. When my contract is up I will never get on ANY carrier under a plan again. Don't know who it will be with and it won't matter. Where I live I have good coverage with AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and several other smaller carriers. From then on it will be who gives me the best deal and when a better one comes along thats where I will go. Don't want to be holding to any carrier, you lose in the end and you can't do much about it if you are stuck with a plan.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I was with AT&T for the past eight years and have only been on a contract the last year with one year to go. When my contract is up I will never get on ANY carrier under a plan again. Don't know who it will be with and it won't matter. Where I live I have good coverage with AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and several other smaller carriers. From then on it will be who gives me the best deal and when a better one comes along thats where I will go. Don't want to be holding to any carrier, you lose in the end and you can't do much about it if you are stuck with a plan.

Well I'm stuck with one carrier, so it's cheaper to go with a contract. Although 2 yrs with one phone is really pushing it these days. I'd really like to see 1 yr contracts.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
On Verizon, it doesn't make sense to stay grandfathered in, since you have to pay the high plan costs + full price for the phone. Kind of a rip off. On the other hand with ATT, they let you get subsidized phones every 20 months, even if you're grandfathered. So if I were to switch to a prepaid plan, I would have to pay full price for the phone, AND I'd lose unlimited data. So...on contract for me! (Unless the phone is cheap like a nexus 5) On that note, I hope Microsoft and Nokia start trying to lower the price of their flagship phones so more people will buy them

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Looks like a lot of people buy off contract.

Not in the US. Buying off contract is fairly atypical... especially for non-poor people.

It's really a very personal decision. If you have a home phone and you are not a big chatter or texter a pay as you go plan may work for you. My first cell phone in the US was with T Mobile. I would pay them $100 and get 1000 minutes of talk time. It was pretty good. That would last me months.

Nowadays I have a smartphone and a grandfathered unlimted LTE plan. I don't text much so I just have a small texting plan and use Whatsapp. Combine that with my work discount and upgrade phone every 20 months and no monthly plan can really beat it.

The other thing you have to take into account is what carriers are available in your area. If TMobile is really good in your area and you don't really leave that area then maybe Tmobile off contract is for you. My problem is in my travels I have found Tmobile isn't as robust as at&t. But that is in my travels. You have to do your own travels and see what works for you. Frankly I think some of the group plans at&t is pushing are beginning to sound kind of reasonable. To be honest if it were not for subsidies phones, grandfathered unlimited data, and a hefty discount through work my cell phone purchasing and use habits would be very different.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I do both. I wait until there is a phone I really, really like then I buy on the 2 year deal. As I am on AT&T, I am grandfathered into a reasonable priced plan I see no advatage coming off. As my old plan gets no discounts for being off contract, there is no advantage to not doing it. I am not leaving, so I will take advantage of the subsidized phones. Kinda no brainer if you are not leaving your carrier to not do it in most conditions.

I buy off contract just due to need, (I am rough on my phones in my line of work) and a little boredom (2 years is a long, long time). I buy used, not new, and only after the one year warranty on defects runs out on my contract phone. I have been able to try new devices a ton this way, and see it as a fun little hobby.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, off contract is the way to go for GSM phones. I say generally because there are common exceptions, such as large family plans (e.g. 4+ lines), where a contract may work out cheaper.

While major carriers don't offer much incentive to go off contract (AT&T is the only one to offer slightly lower rates if your phone isn't subsidized - T-Mo doesn't even offer subsidies anymore, just full retail or monthly leasing), you can often save quite a bit with a prepaid carrier such as Aio or Straight Talk in the US. If a comparable plan can save you 30% or more per month, an off-contract phone may be the better option.

Also, if you purchase a factory unlocked device, you really have freedom to go with virtually any carrier any time.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I do both. I wait until there is a phone I really, really like then I buy on the 2 year deal. As I am on AT&T, I am grandfathered into a reasonable priced plan I see no advatage coming off. As my old plan gets no discounts for being off contract, there is no advantage to not doing it. I am not leaving, so I will take advantage of the subsidized phones. Kinda no brainer if you are not leaving your carrier to not do it in most conditions.

I buy off contract just due to need, (I am rough on my phones in my line of work) and a little boredom (2 years is a long, long time). I buy used, not new, and only after the one year warranty on defects runs out on my contract phone. I have been able to try new devices a ton this way, and see it as a fun little hobby.
Pretty much the same for me. New iPhones on contract, used windows phones from craigslist when I need a fix.

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
this year is my first year on contract in about 5 years. I got onto a family plan with verizon.
Im only paying $70 a month and sharing 6GB with two others (lame). So i am getting the best coverage for a great price. And i did get a "free" $500 phone. And sold my previous phone for $300.
But honestly I hate being under this contract. I wished i stuck with Tmobile and got my family on a plan there.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
this year is my first year on contract in about 5 years. I got onto a family plan with verizon.
Im only paying $70 a month and sharing 6GB with two others (lame). So i am getting the best coverage for a great price. And i did get a "free" $500 phone. And sold my previous phone for $300.
But honestly I hate being under this contract. I wished i stuck with Tmobile and got my family on a plan there.

$70 for three lines and 6GB on Verizon? The math doesn't add up. Or is it $70 for each line? For my two lines I haven't found anything that beats T-Mo so far....

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
$70 for three lines and 6GB on Verizon? The math doesn't add up. Or is it $70 for each line? For my two lines I haven't found anything that beats T-Mo so far....

I agree...it doesn't add up. For Verizon Share Everything, you have to pay a $40 monthly access fee per smartphone ($120 for three lines) plus the data package you choose (usually starts at $30 for 2gb). So either he got a hook up from a friend, he misunderstood the pricing, or he walked into another cell phone store thinking that it was a Verizon store.

Posted via the WPC App

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I use AIOWIRELESS. 60$ for 5gb LTE Unlimited everything else. after 5gb it's throttled. I've used them since sept and love it. I bought a 620 for 90$ and switch back and forth to my iphone5. I'm really tempted to buy a 1320/1520 in the future, I'm ready for a bigger screen.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just curious.

Looks like a lot of people buy off contract. I have never done it. What are the top reasons for doing so and what is the cost difference (over time)?

I'm on a "share everything" plan with 4 lines. I'm assuming it's a lot cheaper to remain on this plan vs going "no contract"?

If you buy off contract all that does is not extend your current contract. You are locked into that for the 2 years, so buying full retail just means you pay the $500+ compared to the $199 upgrade price. Since you are already on a shared plan and no loss of unlimited by upgrading, upgrading and getting the cheaper price would be better.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I use AIOWIRELESS. 60$ for 5gb LTE Unlimited everything else. after 5gb it's throttled. I've used them since sept and love it. I bought a 620 for 90$ and switch back and forth to my iphone5. I'm really tempted to buy a 1320/1520 in the future, I'm ready for a bigger screen.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Im going to look into them once my contract is up. I love verizon but not their prices. If AIO is still around in a year and still offering great prices I will choose them over TMO for the better coverage.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
On Verizon, it doesn't make sense to stay grandfathered in, since you have to pay the high plan costs + full price for the phone. Kind of a rip off. On the other hand with ATT, they let you get subsidized phones every 20 months, even if you're grandfathered. So if I were to switch to a prepaid plan, I would have to pay full price for the phone, AND I'd lose unlimited data. So...on contract for me! (Unless the phone is cheap like a nexus 5) On that note, I hope Microsoft and Nokia start trying to lower the price of their flagship phones so more people will buy them

It makes sense if you're grandfathered into unlimited data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel