Verizon's "boxy shape" design for the 929.. like it or hate it?

Keith Petrovich

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I was at a windows store today, generally trying to gather more info on the lumia, to no avail, when I got a good look at all the other lumia's that are offered across the different carriers. The 1520 and the 1020 of course stood out, nice colors, different design, and it made me think.

Who happens to like the simple box like design that Verizon has with it's windows smartphones? Of course there's the argument that a case can change that, but without cases, what do you guys think? Should verizon and windows try to make some new phones with color or what?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
At this point, beggars can't be choosers. I am just glad Verizon is getting a high end Windows Phone.

The design really doesn't bother me much, anyway. It looks professional, which makes me hope that Verizon will be pushing it towards their business users.

Although, I DO love my California Blue 8X. This thing is so fragile, though, that I keep it in an Otterbox. I can only see the front and rear speaker grills, really.

Keith Petrovich

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
At this point, beggars can't be choosers. I am just glad Verizon is getting a high end Windows Phone.

The design really doesn't bother me much, anyway. It looks professional, which makes me hope that Verizon will be pushing it towards their business users.

Although, I DO love my California Blue 8X. This thing is so fragile, though, that I keep it in an Otterbox. I can only see the front and rear speaker grills, really.

Totally agree, specs are a huge factor and I wanted to say that aside from specs, this phone does look very professional. That being said, I really did like the blue 8x, and colors are fun here and there.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a sleek beautiful phone.

Still not sure if I am going to keep my note 3 or get it.. I could always run both but that's tiresome.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to see it in person but if it's as similar to the 928 as it looks it will be a good looking phone. Maybe not sexy or stunning.....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I like it. I think the design is a little more masculine than most smart phone designs you see out there. It is very professional looking as well.

I've been thinking that many phones that we're seeing coming out now, particularly low-mid end Lumias and iPhones, are a bit on the girly side. No offense to those who have them - but they just don't scream masculinity. The 925, 928, and 929 designs do seem to be a bit more rugged and manly in appearance.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I was concerned about the shape before I got my 928 - I carry my phone in my front pants pocket. I thought the square corners would be a problem, but its actually the opposite. The shape keeps the phone vertical in my pocket, making it easy to pull out. Smaller phones, and those with rounded corners, tend to fall sideways, and then get caught.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Meh, it's kind of boring looking. Very little aesthetics but whatever.

Now, what really chaps my azz is the ever-present, ugly and obtrusive Verizon check mark and logo on the phone. Why can't they just write "Verizon" without that ugly check mark?

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Verizon keeps its phones bland to satisfy its business customers. I personally like my electronics (and cars for that matter) to be bold and eye-catching. However, I also hate having conversations with iPhone and Android users that go like this..."Oh, is that a windows mobile, cool cool, I heard those phones have no apps." Verizon's bland phone designs help me avoid those people 99% of the time.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I like it. I think the design is a little more masculine than most smart phone designs you see out there. It is very professional looking as well.

I've been thinking that many phones that we're seeing coming out now, particularly low-mid end Lumias and iPhones, are a bit on the girly side. No offense to those who have them - but they just don't scream masculinity. The 925, 928, and 929 designs do seem to be a bit more rugged and manly in appearance.

Please do not take this offensively, as I generally enjoy your posts. But there is no such thing as girly design. There is good design, and bad design, and niche design, but designs are not inherently 'masculine' or 'girly' despite what many people think. Half the guys on my team at work carry iPhones despite the supposedly 'girly' design of them, and only one of the women on my team carries one, the others run Samsung/Android devices with the exception of one woman who has the same 8X as I do.

Do a lot of girls like iPhones? Sure. A lot of guys do too. But we are or at least should be past the point of claiming that a design, color or motif is tied to a gender or sexual orientation. That is simply stereotyping and lazy thinking.

Again, I am sort of calling you out but its not so much you specifically but the commonality of these beliefs. A good primer on this topic can be found here: Flowchart: How not to design a "woman’s" tech product | Ars Technica

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll agree with that because the pic is cut off a little bit. But what really doesn't add up is the edges. Look at any leaked picture of the Icon from the side. The edges are flat like the 928. The picture above is beveled towards the back, like the Surface.

Unannounced Nokia Lumia 929 up for sale in China for ?3800 | ThePocketTech

I'm inserting a hyperlink to an article (with pictures) I found on Bing because my employer won't allow us to attach pics. Anyway, look at the pics from the side.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll agree with that because the pic is cut off a little bit. But what really doesn't add up is the edges. Look at any leaked picture of the Icon from the side. The edges are flat like the 928. The picture above is beveled towards the back, like the Surface.

Unannounced Nokia Lumia 929 up for sale in China for ?3800 | ThePocketTech

I'm inserting a hyperlink to an article (with pictures) I found on Bing because my employer won't allow us to attach pics. Anyway, look at the pics from the side.

You're holding it wrong...

Lol yeah I did notice that and that confused me a bit. Ive seen some pictures that make it look completely square, some that make it appear slanted slightly, and then this one that makes it look slanted ALOT! Everything else in the picture checks out though on all of these but idk lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz