No Glance support?!!!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Wait, I'm confused...I was going to switch from an S4...how do you know you have a message or missed a call? No LED light? No "glace"? You have to physically turn on the device just to see if you missed a call? Do I have that right?
Some phones such as the HTC 8X have a notification light. Almost all Nokias (maybe all Nokias?) with the exception of the new Icon has Glance. And since it doesn't have Glance you can still use touch-to-wake. And if you don't have that, you can just press the power button to see missed notifications. Simple. Some notifications wake the screen up long enough for you to read them before going dormant again, with no touching required.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you as an Android user, a notification LED is a big freakin' deal...especially a customizable LED. To know exactly what type of notification you're missing is a nice time saver. With that being said, I'm still leaning towards trying out the Icon. We shall see

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Before coming to WP, I had Android handsets that both had (Moto Droid Razr on USCC) and did not have (Sammy Mesmerize on USCC) notification LED's. Its all personal preference, but that flashing LED came to be meaningless to me and I eventually just ignored them and checked the phone when I wanted to.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
So, Nokia eschewed an LED in favor of Glance, which it then didn't put on this device? And the double tap thing doesn't work either? Maybe Android spoiled me (and know that I WANT to go to a WP), but NOT having to pick up and power on to see if I missed a call or a message is a pretty big deal. Tell me I got it wrong...

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I can tell you as an Android user, a notification LED is a big freakin' deal...especially a customizable LED. To know exactly what type of notification you're missing is a nice time saver. With that being said, I'm still leaning towards trying out the Icon. We shall see

I came to WP from the Galaxy Nexus. It was nice having a notification light, especially given it's color changes based on type of notification. But after the first two weeks, I realized I didn't really use/need it that much. *shrug*

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Deal breaker for me as well. Don't understand at all. Was going to buy off contract as soon as it was available but now i will wait.
My sentiments exactly. I'm going to be buying off-contract but I'm probably going to wait until launch date or later to see if Glance comes to it. If it no news by BUILD, I'll wait to see what devices they hand out there since WP8.1 is speculated to be the big talk; I think they'll be handing out 8.1 devices and maybe the Icon (for free) or something new/better by that time will come my way.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't see what the hype is about glance. I tried it on my 928 and shut it off. Battery leacher is all I see.

I tried it again with the black update... Still don't like it.

johndmelvinii

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
This will be my first Windows Phone too. I wasn't familiar with Glance and had to look it up. It's a neat feature, but a deal breaker on this incredible device?? Call me old fashioned, but my wrist watch is pretty handy at telling me the time, and I don't even have to wave my hand over it first...

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I came to WP from the Galaxy Nexus. It was nice having a notification light, especially given it's color changes based on type of notification. But after the first two weeks, I realized I didn't really use/need it that much. *shrug*

Yea, I'm a truck driver so that's a pretty big deal to me. I can just glance (no pun intended) down and see what type of notification I've got.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

I never thought I'd survive without one.
Turns out, I was fine.

And this is coming from a guy that used to harass BlackBerry employees because my phone had an RGB LED indicator yet wouldn't let me do any damn customization for it.
Plus, I no longer have the issue of looking at my phone and having to keep my eye on it for a second to see if it blinks (you always had the fear you just missed a blink, so you watched for an entire interval!)

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I never thought I'd survive without one.
Turns out, I was fine.

And this is coming from a guy that used to harass BlackBerry employees because my phone had an RGB LED indicator yet wouldn't let me do any damn customization for it.
Plus, I no longer have the issue of looking at my phone and having to keep my eye on it for a second to see if it blinks (you always had the fear you just missed a blink, so you watched for an entire interval!)
lol you know I find this funny! Only because I spent so much time just looking at my led in the past just to see if it would blink when I could have tapped to wake or hit the power button 5 times over. Honestly reading that one line makes me realize I can survive lol thanks for that :)

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The blinking LED was something I initially missed when I went from webOS to WP, having also been on BB. The reality was, however, that if you frequently get junk/unimportant emails and messages, it starts becoming useless has it's starts getting set off frequently. With webOS, I could plunk my Pre+(with 2.0 installed on it)/Pre2 onto a TouchStone and Exhibition would start and would show notifications on the bottom, which you could even swipe away. Glance is kind of similar, though more static like the lockscreen. I have it turned on for the occasional quick check of the time, but the 822 doesn't have Black yet so I don't get the email notifications that I really want. I have most of my important emails coming through my Outlook.com address, which has a different icon and would be easy to tell if I should power the phone and check.

There's got to be something screwy going on to keep Glance off the Icon. I sincerely doubt Verizon would care if it was installed, and it shouldn't be an issue. I guess we'll see.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I can also live quite well without Glance.

Glance is a cool feature, especially now that it gives notifications (it was virtually pointless prior to that), but I don't really use it. I like that it happens, and makes me feel I have something high tech, but if you took it away tomorrow without telling me it'd take me a few days to realize it was gone. Ooo, I can't see what time it is! I wear watches, which are a hundred times more convenient than Glance. And if I'm reaching over to the phone to activate Glance (which almost always activates without me meaning to), then I can just as easily hit the button, see what I need to see, then hit it again to turn the screen off.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the hysterics here. We're losing something cool, but I don't think we're losing something useful. It certainly shouldn't be a make-or-break feature.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Notification light or glance IMO is required at this point.
No indicator at all is a step backwards.
We shouldn't have had to wait to begin with and now a flagship phone doesn't support it out of the box?

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Most are talking about how they don't need or want the light, okay, for you. But I still have a question. If there is no Glance AND there is no double tap, are you telling me the only way I will know if I miss a call or message is to physically pick up and turn on the phone? No snark here, just a real question.

That seems SO backward...

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Most are talking about how they don't need or want the light, okay, for you. But I still have a question. If there is no Glance AND there is no double tap, are you telling me the only way I will know if I miss a call or message is to physically pick up and turn on the phone? No snark here, just a real question.

That's the way I understand it, and it's why I'm not getting this phone. Regardless of all the snarky comments from people about it shouldn't be a deal breaker, it is for some people.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

Press the power button to light up the lock screen and see your notifications. Very simple to do. You don't even have to put in your password.

Posted via the WPC App

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Its always in my pocket, in my hand, laying on my desk next to me, or in the charging stand in line of sight. I'll either feel it vibrate (have sound off) or see it light up as the notifications hit the phone.

If its some time when I don't have the phone with me (night, yard work, workouts,etc) its easy enough to press the power button and see as mentioned above. I usually have a notification of some type, so even if there was an LED or if I used Glance, I would be turning on the phone anyway.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
From someone who LOVES Glance, here are two reasons why for me...

1) I have my 1520 in a charging cradle on the table next to my bed at night. Glance is set to "always on" and set to enter night mode between 11 p.m. And 6 a.m. Basically, the display turns red (one of a few color choices) at reduced illumination to save battery life. Just "glancing" at the phone any time I am in bed tells me the time and also any notifications of my choosing. Mine are currently set to show my work email, instant messages, Facebook and Twitter notifications. I can double. Tap to wake and check any very easily.

2) I use the Quiet Hours app during the day at work so my phone makes no noises during the many meetings I have (apparently this will be a standard feature in 8.1). Glance allows me to see how many work emails only I am receiving versus personal ones so I am not checking my phone every time it buzzes.

Those are just the two main reasons I love Glance and I don't think anyone can really appreciate it without using it....certainly not by reading a review based on a basic description of the function. And this may be just because I have a 1520, but battery drain is negligible....practically none over an overnight period when I was traveling last week and forgot to plug in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99