No Glance support?!!!

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It wouldn't be missed by me. Seems like a gimmick add on. I don't need to wave at my phone to see the time or notifications.
I did have it on my 822 but since all this has come up I turned it off and it's like a relief not to bother with that step anymore.

I'm confused...i don't "wave" over my 1520 to turn Glance on....I have it set to "always on."

Again, people seem to be limiting info in their "reviews" of Glance based on only how they use it and not all of the options.

As mentioned above by someone else, name one other phone that tells you exactly what notifications you have simply by looking at the phone?

And FYI...you can set the iPhone to flash the camera flash if you have a notification.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused...i don't "wave" over my 1520 to turn Glance on....I have it set to "always on."

Again, people seem to be limiting info in their "reviews" of Glance based on only how they use it and not all of the options.

As mentioned above by someone else, name one other phone that tells you exactly what notifications you have simply by looking at the phone?

And FYI...you can set the iPhone to flash the camera flash if you have a notification.

I wouldn't recommend setting the flash on the iPhone as a notification. That flash is blinding! Good luck if you're in a meeting when that flash goes off... You'll be the center of attention.

Posted via the WPC App

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend setting the flash on the iPhone as a notification. That flash is blinding! Good luck if you're in a meeting when that flash goes off... You'll be the center of attention.

Posted via the WPC App

Hah...I agree....but it is possible.

Was in a meeting Friday and the guy had his going off. Even with the phone on it's back, the distraction of the flash was coming out around the edges of the iPhone.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

First off, I'm considering this phone, be my first WP, but I already have a surface2 and love it. Second point my HTC ONE's lock screen gives me this info without unlocking I can see any calendar appt's upcoming, missed calls, texts or emails. So there are other phones that have this feature. No waving required.

Now this is an interesting feature. Don't think I need to know that spectacularly that I have a message , but to each their own. Funny WP doesn't have a notification light(from what I've been reading here) but they have a bright white flash option instead? That's different. How about just the little green blinking light instead?

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Second point my HTC ONE's lock screen gives me this info without unlocking I can see any calendar appt's upcoming, missed calls, texts or emails. So there are other phones that have this feature. No waving required.

You don't have to unlock a WP phone to see your missed calls or anything. You set five things that you want displayed on your lock screen, mine are voicemail, email, texts, missed calls and snapchats. If I have anything from those 5 services I have an icon at the bottom of my phone. So this isn't about having to unlock your phone to see if you have a text, its about not wanting to push the power button.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, i liked the blue led notification on my n900 better than glance.
Having nothing at all on wp, i gladly accepted glance.
Although i'd rather have the windows button breath or have a heartbeat (whatever it's called).

Right now by default i put my 920 down on charging pads when at home. It's nice to "glance" at it as i walk by and i know whether or not i have to pick it up. Optimal for me? Not really, but i'll take it.

Nothing at all just isn't right.
And the hardware BS excuse is just that, BS.

I truly am getting a nostalgic nokia feeling. Spent a lifetime using their phones, but the same things still happen. They short us on one or more things on every device. Never do we get the phone that has everything.
I get cost saving by doing away with hardware, but to do away with software? It's idiotic regardless of the reasoning.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Does iPhone have anything like glance or a notification LED?

No.
Nor did the original Samsung Galaxy, at least on Verizon. I was still using my awful BB Storm (which did have a notification light) at its release, and refused to buy it because it didn't have a notification light.

I finally moved to the Trophy, which also didn't have one.
I don't miss it.

As a guy that refused to buy phones without one, trust me people, I don't miss it. And no, you don't need to unlock your phone to see if you missed anything.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Uuum.... You do realize that on the iPhone you have to press the home button to see your notifications. On an Android phone you have an LED light, (yes, you can customize the color of it for each type of notification), but it will only blink the color of the last notification, which means that you would still have to press the home button to see what notifications you have. So that's better than a Windows phone without glance, how?

This whole "I'm not buying the Icon because it doesn't support Glance" argument is ridiculous.

Posted via the WPC App

If you're someone that absolutely needs notifications, I somewhat get why you wouldn't want most Windows Phones, but I just can't imagine a user that absolutely needs Glance. In order to actually see if you have a message, or what kind you have, you need to be almost close enough to touch it, even if you have it set to Always-On. It isn't like a blinking light you can see clearly across a room and in the dark that always blinks at you, making you want to check it even if you know its blinking for something you don't want to be bothered with at that moment.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
There are a number of possibilities here: Nokia may have to rewrite how Glance handles different pixel densities, something the OS handles on its own, but glance may run outside of the OS's purview on this. Also, the hang up may be with the backgrounds (look at how they're rendered, could be a challenge), and Nokia is holding it back so people don't get a gimped version.

The other thing I can think of that would explain the omission of Glance is if the Icon doesn't have a proximity sensor, but instead uses the camera or light sensor to handle proximity while on the phone (it's what turns the phone screen off when you're on it). Glance uses the proximity sensor to keep the screen off while it's in your pocket, and it picks up the hand wave to turn it on. Not sure why Nokia would leave that out, possibly to allow for the larger display without making the phone much bigger than the 928. Verizon could've specified the size, but the omission would be on Nokia. I doubt they'd leave it out, but it's possible.
[EDIT] It does have the proximity sensor.

Personally, I like Glance, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The ability to shoot RAW more than makes up for the loss (and possibly temporary) of Glance. If the phone does have a proximity sensor, I'd imagine Nokia will push out an update to support Glance soon.

Last edited:

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This whole "I'm not buying the Icon because it doesn't support Glance" argument is ridiculous.

Posted via the WPC App

What makes it even more silly is the argument its needed for the notifications. Anyone who's already on Verizon and has Glance JUST GOT BLACK! It's been out for what, a week on the 928? Before that, Glance was just a clock.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
What makes it even more silly is the argument its needed for the notifications. Anyone who's already on Verizon and has Glance JUST GOT BLACK! It's been out for what, a week on the 928? Before that, Glance was just a clock.

You guys are forgetting that double-tap to wake is tied to Glance. I use this religiously as my phone is always sitting on my desk in less im using it. If the windows button on the front would wake the phone it wouldn't be an issue, but as is, it's a deal breaker for me.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Second point my HTC ONE's lock screen gives me this info without unlocking I can see any calendar appt's upcoming, missed calls, texts or emails. So there are other phones that have this feature. No waving required.

Sigh....okay...believe me, you are NOT stupid....it is just very hard to explain what Glance is and how it works. It is that innovative and kewl!

Here is a pic of my phone right now...not the lock screen....unless it is "off," this is what I see...again, NOT the lock screen...this is. Glance. Always shows the time, and in this case, I have a text message and I can see that the phone is plugged in and charging.

image.jpg

No "bubble" notifications that pop up when they come in and then disappear back to a blank screen....it will look like this until I read the message. And yes, I will still see "notifications" pop up on the lock screen or the home screen.

Make sense? No other phone has this....it is awesome....I love Glance and my 1520. :smile:

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
FYI....here is my lock screen right now...looks like I just got a Face book notification...I have it set to show Bing weather and what my next or current meeting is...

image.jpg

And here is my main screen (top half)

image.jpg

So please...I hope everyone now understands what Glance is..versus a lock screen...versus a home screen....:smile:

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been tweeting Nokia Care US and Nokia US to be more specific on the "hardware limitation," but they keep using that same vague answer. I'm starting to think that the "hardware limitation" is that ugly white word that starts with a "V" pasted at the top right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05