No Glance support?!!!

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been tweeting Nokia Care US and Nokia US to be more specific on the "hardware limitation," but they keep using that same vague answer. I'm starting to think that the "hardware limitation" is that ugly white word that starts with a "V" pasted at the top right.

Why would Verizon not want Glance on their flagship WP?

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Why would Verizon not want Glance on their flagship WP?

Because Verizon would rather sell iPhones or Samsung devices than Windows Phones. Verizon told Nokia, "Fine, you can sell the 1520 here as long as it has a non-numeric name, no SD card support, 5'' screen (which actually benefits most users), oh, and no glance screen."

I really wouldn't put it past them... We're talking about the company who's flagship (and sole) Windows Phone was the HTC Trophy for over a full year...

I think Microsoft pissed Verizon off back in the Windows Mobile years and they're still butthurt (At least that's a rumor I've heard from not-too-knowledgeable-but-more-so-than-you-or-I sources).

I just can't imagine the elimination of glance is due to hardware seeing as even the 920 has it with an older display technology. Naht buying it.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Ummm....business is business....

The ONLY reason they would limit features on one phone over another is that they want to gain market share in the WP arena without having people make a "switch" from a more profitable phone.

If the Icon brought in more margin dollars than the iPhone or Galaxy, Verizon would be pushing it big time with every feature they could get with it (as long as it din't affect their cost).

I seriously doubt any past experiences with Microsoft would affect decisions on what money they could make now with a new phone.

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ummm....business is business....

The ONLY reason they would limit features on one phone over another is that they want to gain market share in the WP arena without having people make a "switch" from a more profitable phone.

If the Icon brought in more margin dollars than the iPhone or Galaxy, Verizon would be pushing it big time with every feature they could get with it (as long as it din't affect their cost).

I seriously doubt any past experiences with Microsoft would affect decisions on what money they could make now with a new phone.

Why did Google revoke Microsoft's developer key for a stellar YouTube app that met all of their initial demands? Why did they move the finish line? I feel as though they could do nothing but benefit from the additional ad revenue from an app they didn't need to pay to produce.

You're right, business is business. But politics is politics and people are people. Until we get a firm answer from Nokia on what the specific hardware limitation is, I'm leaning towards this being Verizon's fault for one reason or another.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, a 928.
One of the main reasons I switched was for Glance. I don't wear a watch, so I check the time on my phone quite frequently. I loved it with Amber and it's even better with Black now that the notifications are there.

I had been so excited for the Icon, but I am let down now. I guess I could buy a watch, but I hate wearing one.

Or maybe I will switch to a Moto X or Droid Maxx, both of which display time + notifications without turning on the screen.

Do you currently have a WP?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes, a 928.
One of the main reasons I switched was for Glance. I don't wear a watch, so I check the time on my phone quite frequently. I loved it with Amber and it's even better with Black now that the notifications are there.

I had been so excited for the Icon, but I am let down now. I guess I could buy a watch, but I hate wearing one.

Or maybe I will switch to a Moto X or Droid Maxx, both of which display time + notifications without turning on the screen.

Or you could hit the power button.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Why did Google revoke Microsoft's developer key for a stellar YouTube app that met all of their initial demands? Why did they move the finish line? I feel as though they could do nothing but benefit from the additional ad revenue from an app they didn't need to pay to produce.

Because, Microsoft did not build the app according to Google's clearly specified terms....just business. Well known if you just Google it.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Or you could hit the power button.

Or he could get a watch?
The point is there's this convenient feature that's available on every other Lumia phone, but not the Icon for some reason. Obviously people like this feature and if its not on the latest phone , they have a right to voice their displeasure and particularly choose not to buy it .

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I really do understand the frustration. Its just really funny listening to people elaborate why. It sounds like the biggest first world problem ever.

"You mean I have to press a button to see if I have a message?!?!" Like I said, I understand the frustration, and I'm with everyone on it

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Wanted to update this thread w/ some real substance from Mary Jo Foley:

I'm also not happy that Nokia didn't (or couldn't) include Glance on the Icon. I've asked for an official statement as to why and haven't heard back so far. But WPCentral said the lack of Glance (the feature that provides time and other notifications on the screen when in standby) has to do with "certain hardware restrictions" and that it still may come to the Icon at some point in the future.

Update: Here's what Nokia officials are saying re: the lack of Glance support on Lumia Icon. The statement via a spokesperson:
"Due to certain hardware restrictions, Lumia Icon doesn’t support Glance screen – however, there are many other unique benefits that this device screen provides from support for HD 1080p, virtually glare-free outdoor readability and nearly 180 degree viewing. Certain features in the Lumia Black software are dependent on device hardware and software functionality."
The spokesperson had nothing to say as to when/if the Icon might get Glance support in the future but did add "we're not ruling it out."

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Some of these reasons are down right laughable. I give it 3 months(6 tops) after launch before there's an update that supports Glance.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Some of these reasons are down right laughable. I give it 3 months(6 tops) after launch before there's an update that supports Glance.

Laugh away, but some of us care. I've disabled Glance and double-tap-to-wake on my 928 just to see how annoying it is. Guess what? I'm annoyed.

I'll probably wait until they support Glance. Or I'll switch to a Moto X / Droid Maxx.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Read the post above your's. I wouldn't be so sure. It's the same as hoping the FM Radio would just magically appear after an update.

reidbp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
An LED doesn't really add to the information other than constantly reminding you to check. I find it to be a very minor setback in real life. I do want Glance with notifications though, as that is better than an LED or brief lighting of the display.

This is completely not how I feel at all. The different LED light colors on my GS3 are a huge deal for me, and not even Glance replaces that. My light blinks a dim blue most of the day from work email but when it lights up to one of my other notifications it's extremely nice to see that. AND I can see it across the room. I don't enjoy having my phone in my pocket or on me at all times, I like to set it down on silent/vibrate and do other things around my house/office, and being able to see that light makes a huge difference. I wouldn't be able to have my phone across the room charging while I cook and notice when I have a text message without it, not even with Glance.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This is completely not how I feel at all. The different LED light colors on my GS3 are a huge deal for me, and not even Glance replaces that. My light blinks a dim blue most of the day from work email but when it lights up to one of my other notifications it's extremely nice to see that. AND I can see it across the room. I don't enjoy having my phone in my pocket or on me at all times, I like to set it down on silent/vibrate and do other things around my house/office, and being able to see that light makes a huge difference. I wouldn't be able to have my phone across the room charging while I cook and notice when I have a text message without it, not even with Glance.

A customized notification light is infinitely better than Glance. As I said in the other topic, you need to be close to Glance to see it. From more than a few feet away it'd be hard to tell which inbox has email, and from 10 feet away good luck telling anything much. If you're close enough for Glance to make sense, you're probably close enough to give the phone a quick squeeze and see if anything needs attention.

A custom notification light gives you all the info Glance does, but can do it from across the room. It's so much more powerful than Glance it isn't even funny.
Once I got rid of a notification light (something I never thought I could do without) I decided it felt more like a nanny to me than anything useful. It became a nag. And, with work email on my phone, it was an especially hard way to tune out, because it would constantly tell me I had work email to check. Without it, it's much easier to just check out of work for a bit and check in when I want to. If anyone needs me, they'll call. For all those emails, I'm happy not having the constant blinking.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
A customized notification light is infinitely better than Glance. As I said in the other topic, you need to be close to Glance to see it. From more than a few feet away it'd be hard to tell which inbox has email, and from 10 feet away good luck telling anything much. If you're close enough for Glance to make sense, you're probably close enough to give the phone a quick squeeze and see if anything needs attention.

A custom notification light gives you all the info Glance does, but can do it from across the room. It's so much more powerful than Glance it isn't even funny.
Once I got rid of a notification light (something I never thought I could do without) I decided it felt more like a nanny to me than anything useful. It became a nag. And, with work email on my phone, it was an especially hard way to tune out, because it would constantly tell me I had work email to check. Without it, it's much easier to just check out of work for a bit and check in when I want to. If anyone needs me, they'll call. For all those emails, I'm happy not having the constant blinking.
they both have pros and cons

A notification light can be seen from further away but you can't actually tell which app got a notification

The glance screen tells you which app received a notification but cannot be spotted from far away

Personally I don't care about the lack of a notification light because my phone is always in my pocket and thus I can quickly glance at my phone to see if any apps received a notification :)

reidbp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
they both have pros and cons

A notification light can be seen from further away but you can't actually tell which app got a notification

The glance screen tells you which app received a notification but cannot be spotted from far away

Personally I don't care about the lack of a notification light because my phone is always in my pocket and thus I can quickly glance at my phone to see if any apps received a notification :)

This isn't true with a multi-colored LED light like the GS3. I can tell the difference between my messages, which makes it less "nanny" like the person above posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss