No Glance support?!!!

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
This isn't true with a multi-colored LED light like the GS3. I can tell the difference between my messages, which makes it less "nanny" like the person above posted.

Yes, but if you have multiple notifications, it will only blink the color of the last notification.... It's not going to blink the entire colors of the rainbow.

Posted via the WPC App

reidbp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but if you have multiple notifications, it will only blink the color of the last notification.... It's not going to blink the entire colors of the rainbow.

Posted via the WPC App

I get it, and sometimes that's annoying, but far less annoying that NO NOTIFICATIONS AT ALL.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

Posted via the WPC App

Hah...every post about different colored led lights always forgets to mention this. You take 30 seconds to go take a **** in which time 5 urgent text messages come in and then one stupid email and you don't know the text messages even came in.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I had Icon envy but no Glance screen has cured that. My 928 rests on its charging pad and I don't have to power-up to see if there are any notifications. Glance screen is great. I got my 928 FREE! Maybe by the time that I am eligible for an upgrade this will no longer be an issue and it won't cost $200.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's another possibility.

Since I'm committed to VZW and WP8, and I want a better camera, I'll be upgrading from 928 to Icon.

I hated the idea of losing Glance and double-tap-to-wake, but I figured I might as well get used to it. So I turned off both of those features a few days ago.

Battery life has been considerably better since then!

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
So, I asked NokiaUS via their Facebook page about possible future support for Glance. Doesn't look good:

Me:
Nokia US, is there any chance that the Icon will be able to support Glance and double-tap to wake in the future?
I came from the Lumia 928 and am really missing those features!

NokiaUS:
Hi, due to hardware restrictions with the device, it will not support glance features. Thank you for reaching out!

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I asked NokiaUS via their Facebook page about possible future support for Glance. Doesn't look good:

Me:
Nokia US, is there any chance that the Icon will be able to support Glance and double-tap to wake in the future?
I came from the Lumia 928 and am really missing those features!

NokiaUS:
Hi, due to hardware restrictions with the device, it will not support glance features. Thank you for reaching out!

Would love to know what the hardware restrictions are. Really shame if they cannot get it to work. I really enjoyed the feature on my 822.

sethman916

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Would love to know what the hardware restrictions are. Really shame if they cannot get it to work. I really enjoyed the feature on my 822.

OLED Screens have burn in issues like old picture tube TVs. So any image, especially white ones that are displayed all the time will leave a ghost image permanently on the screen. While LCDs are not completely immune to usses with static screen images they do not burn in like OLEDs can. My guess is that this is why Glance was left out. Several of the OLED demo phones at my local verizon store have the demo screens burned into them while the LCD demo units do not.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Yea, that excuse doesn't work, given that the 928 has full Glance support and has an OLED screen. I think it has something to due with the pixel density of the screen and low power draw.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Double tap to wake is much more important to me than glance, so Nokia at least give us double tap and you can leave the display blank.

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I asked for them to elaborate:

Me:
Thanks for the response. But can you elaborate? Is it the high resolution AMOLED screen that's a problem? Other devices like the 928 had AMOLED but supported Glance.
As it stands now, with no notification light and no Glance, there's no way to see your notifications without unlocking the device. Kinda inconvenient.

We'll see if they respond.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I think one of the leaks showed that double-tap-to-wake is coming to ALL Windows Phones with 8.1, so I'm not sure how that's going to work with this phone if it supposedly isn't possible.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's response to Mary Jo Foley strongly hinted that the display panel was the problem (they basically gave the "Hardware restrictions" party line but followed with "but the display brings all kinds of other cool stuff!"). I wouldn't be surprised if it's around the amount of juice (battery and CPU) required to fire up the display, it may be more than the OS permits while the phone is in a sleep state (AMOLED needs more juice than the IPS in the 1520, and the Icon has a higher PPI than the other AMOLED devices in Nokia's portfolio, hence why the issue would be unique to the Icon).

Don't rule it out yet, "hardware restrictions" is the party line, we'll see what happens in the next few weeks... Chances are they'll figure something out, especially if Nokia plans to release a comparable handset globally.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's response to Mary Jo Foley strongly hinted that the display panel was the problem (they basically gave the "Hardware restrictions" party line but followed with "but the display brings all kinds of other cool stuff!"). I wouldn't be surprised if it's around the amount of juice (battery and CPU) required to fire up the display, it may be more than the OS permits while the phone is in a sleep state (AMOLED needs more juice than the IPS in the 1520, and the Icon has a higher PPI than the other AMOLED devices in Nokia's portfolio, hence why the issue would be unique to the Icon).

Don't rule it out yet, "hardware restrictions" is the party line, we'll see what happens in the next few weeks... Chances are they'll figure something out, especially if Nokia plans to release a comparable handset globally.

My hope is that WP8.1 hardware has some new glance features that we have yet to see and that the Icon is actually wp8.1 hardware. I'm just really missing Glance right now. My Icon is sitting on the charging stand at my desk, and I would LOVE to see a glance screen on there that I could just tap twice to wake up.

K Boston

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
The biigest thing I already miss from my 822 is double tap to wake. Glance is second. I really like the night time clock while the phone was bedside.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I have been weaning myself off of these missing features jn anticipation of getting an Icon. I turned off both glance and double tap on my 928 @ week ago.

I won't lie; I miss these features a lot. But I think I can live without them (just like 95% if smartphone owners do). And it is a plus to have extra battery life. Also, the power button is mounted in an easy to reach place, where the finger naturally falls.

There is also one thing about glance I don't miss -- that two step wakeup procedure where you see the notification on the glance screen but the. Have to go through the lock screen. I think the Moto active notifications do this better.

Anyway, I'm not pleased but I'm coping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss