No Glance support?!!!

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
About glance support....

First, I really like it. I have it on my L822 and right now its what is stopping me from getting the Icon. The 822 does its job so I really cant justify spending $200 and then losing a feature I like. I'm sure the Icon will blow away my 822 in all other aspects but since I don't have it, I don't really know what I'm missing. And since I have Glance, I already know what I'll be losing. Now, with that said...

I contacted Nokia 3 days after Launch day for the Icon and the CSR told me the same old "Hardware Limitations" stuff but he also told me they were working on Glance for the Icon but they didn't know if they would release it in an update or not. It just seemed that the whole thing was not decided yet (I know I'm extrapolating a lot from our short online text chat). So I just started to wonder why they wouldn't be actively working on Glance. Well, With WP 8.1 due out in the very near future, and if you were MS/Nokia, where would you be putting your resources? Would you have people working on Glance for the Icon or would you have all your people working on polishing WP 8.1 for all Lumia phones? I'm pretty sure I'd have every available person testing and tweaking 8.1 so each and every possible bug was squashed prior to the release. This would even make more sense to me if something in 8.1 is slated to replace or revamp Glance.

So, I'm sitting on the sidelines with my trusty L822 (and glance), waiting to see what goodness 8.1 brings to the table. Can I live without Glance? Sure. I was living without it before it became a feature. Will notification center be more usefull and make glance obsolete? I dunno. I'll have to wait and find out. Either way, I'm sure that WP8.1 is the priority now and all other non essential features in WP8 have been put on temporary hold. I waited a long time for the Icon to be released. I can wait another month or so.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
So, is the wisdom here that we will at least get the "double tap" with 8.1? Or is there some other mysterious bug that prevents that?

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
hope so. I don't love tht the only way to turn on the screen is to pinch the side button. when the phone is lying on a table that's a drag.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
hope so. I don't love tht the only way to turn on the screen is to pinch the side button. when the phone is lying on a table that's a drag.

Or on a QI charging stand.

Has anyone heard anything more from Nokia about glance support for the Icon? Or are we beating a dead horse here? Glance support for 8.1 won't matter if we Icon owners don't have access to the app in the first place...

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So here's my theory.

1. For some reason unknown to use it's tricky to do Glance on a 1080p OLED screen.
2. Verizon was mad and delayed the Icon launch to try to fix it, but finally relented because they wanted a 5" 1080 phone out before everyone else got it (i.e., the 930).
3. It's hard to imagine that Nokia would be satisfied never having Glance on any 1080p OLED screen, so they are working feverishly on it for the announcement of 8.1 and the 930. But not doing an interim update for the Icon - after all, the phone was only released a month ago.
4. Thus 8.1 will bring Glance to the Icon (and double tap).

I know nothing more than any of you out there, but this is my bet.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So here's my theory.

1. For some reason unknown to use it's tricky to do Glance on a 1080p OLED screen.
2. Verizon was mad and delayed the Icon launch to try to fix it, but finally relented because they wanted a 5" 1080 phone out before everyone else got it (i.e., the 930).
3. It's hard to imagine that Nokia would be satisfied never having Glance on any 1080p OLED screen, so they are working feverishly on it for the announcement of 8.1 and the 930. But not doing an interim update for the Icon - after all, the phone was only released a month ago.
4. Thus 8.1 will bring Glance to the Icon (and double tap).

I know nothing more than any of you out there, but this is my bet.

I think this is a pretty safe bet. Although I think you give Verizon too much credit. I hope you're right, though.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
still doesn't add it to the Icon.

Has anyone heard anything more from Nokia about glance support for the Icon? Or are we beating a dead horse here? Glance support for 8.1 won't matter if we Icon owners don't have access to the app in the first place...
you're beating a dead horse. it's hardware-limited. period. always. forever. full stop.

https://twitter.com/NokiaUS/status/447190802872414208

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Nokia was never clear why some phones don't get certain features.
For example, Double Tap to Wake wasn't available for the 520, 620, 720 and the 625 because of "hardware limitations", but when Black came out, they made it available, that means it's just software related and has nothing to do with hardware. Anyways, I think in the end Nokia will bring Double Tap to Wake and Glance for the Icon...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
yeah i'm sure you're right. the hardware limitation (display memory) will be increased by a firmware update later.
Let me know when and i'll get one.

Until you can explain to me what the hardware limitation of "display memory" means as it pertains to glance, we still don't know whether or not the Icon is capable of handling Glance with an update. If Nokia Blue comes along, and we still don't have Glance, then i'll be willing to say with some certainty that the Icon is never getting it.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
There us a flaw in my above logic. Nokia may abandon OLED screens entirely in favor of IPS. So the icon could be end if the road and never get Glance.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Take this with a grain of salt and over thinking this...

Today there's an update for Extras+Info and when I when to check the setting I noticed this in the list of apps, "Glance PinBoards App Agent 1.2.0.0". I don't know if it was there before the update and if the version changed.

If Glance isn't supported; supposedly. What is "Glance PinBoards App Agent" then?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa