No Glance support?!!!

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what could be the reason behind it?
It does have AMOLED screen, so it should fit it perfectly. Something funky with the hardware that prevents it or simply coming in a software update?

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
dealbreaker. Glance is once of the main reasons I switched to winphone. Looks like it's back to the Droid Maxx...

This completely sucks.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Wow. I was all set to talk to my business rep and tell her to order me the Icon next week. But then today, I see that it doesn't have Glance and I think I'll wait. Now that Black came out for the 928, the extra notifications on the glance screen are just awesome. In my opinion, the best feature of Black. I mean, is there any other OS out there that has a feature like the glance screen where you can see your notifications without turning it on? We have been asking for a notification "light" but this is so much better.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You guys are all assuming it won't be supported by the time the phone launches. For all we know, it might be. They didn't say it isn't EVER going to be supported, they just said it isn't at this moment and the phone isn't out yet.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So the Icon has an OLED screen, while the 928 has an AMOLED screen. I think those are different technologies.

The AM (active matrix) part of AMOLED allows each individual pixal to be turned on and off, that is why Glance is so battery friendly, you are not firing up the entire screen.

Plain on OLED doesn't have that.

For me it might be a deal breaker. I love Active Notifications on the Moto X and was hoping Nokiasoft was moving in that direction with Glance.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I hate it when Nokia lies blatantly about these things. They said the same thing about the 520-720. Hardware restrictions, so no double tap or glance. But as soon as Black came out, there were no more hardware restrictions haha. I think it'll be a matter of time. Probably because it is still preproduction hardware, they just haven't released the glance app for the Icon yet.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So the Icon has an OLED screen, while the 928 has an AMOLED screen. I think those are different technologies.

The AM (active matrix) part of AMOLED allows each individual pixal to be turned on and off, that is why Glance is so battery friendly, you are not firing up the entire screen.

Plain on OLED doesn't have that.

For me it might be a deal breaker. I love Active Notifications on the Moto X and was hoping Nokiasoft was moving in that direction with Glance.

No, the Icon will be AMOLED as well. Sometimes bloggers will write incorrect information. And more often than not, OLED and AMOLED are used interchangeably.

Nokia Lumia Icon - The Ultimate Video Experience - Nokia - USA

Display technology: ClearBlack, AMOLED

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
This is ridiculous. Do you guys really expect a flagship to not have one of the most beloved specs of a Nokia phone? Especially a feature that was even updated recently? Something that works even on the IPS's of the 720 and 620?

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Yep. I'm out. Total deal breaker. I'm highly addicted to Glance on my 928. Especially the double tap to wake the screen. Somebody really screwed the pooch on this one....

scsgoal

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I'm out. Total deal breaker. I'm highly addicted to Glance on my 928. Especially the double tap to wake the screen. Somebody really screwed the pooch on this one....

Double tap to wake is different than Glance. The Icon should still have Double tap to wake

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)