Lumia Icon on Microsoft Store

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Microsoft Store Wednesday night and put my $25 down. I'll be buying off-contract.

I know I may have posted this before, but these are the reasons why I'm buying from the Microsoft Store and not from Verizon:

1. I actually had a corporate Verizon Store rep tell me I couldn't buy any phone full-price/off-contract! He said I would have to buy from a 3rd party like the Microsoft Store. I don't know if that 100% true, so don't quote me on that. Maybe broadwaylos or bertongbadtrip can clarify that.
2. With the Microsoft Store, for $100, I can get insurance for 2 years and can get a brand new phone if it is damaged or defective.
3. With Verizon, for insurance, you have to use Asurian and I know it's at least $10 a month, and you'll most likely be getting a refurb as a replacement.
4. With Verizon, if your phone is defective, you may get a refurb as well. That happened to me with my Lumia 822. Verizon wanted to offer me a crappy refurb and my phone was less than 6 months old and still under warranty! They said they don't offer new phones as replacements. WTF!!! At least with the Microsoft Store, I'll get a brand new phone, no questions asked.
5. With the Microsoft Store, I'll avoid the Verizon reps trying to sway me to buy an iPhone or Android!

In conclusion, if I want to buy a new phone and Verizon wants my business, they need to have better customer service than the Microsoft Store has, and have better policies than they do. And yeah, that'll happen when hell freezes over!

So for anyone who lives near a Microsoft Store like I do, these are the Top 5 to avoid Verizon when buying a new Windows Phone.

Another reason I'd add is that I'd rather give a bit of extra profit to a Microsoft corporate store than to a Verizon corporate store.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I'll be going to a Verizon store to get one for a few key reasons. 1) To give WP presence to the salesfolks that people are insterested in WP. 2) To see what the salesfolks attitude is toward the Icon and WP as a whole. And 3) based on the results of the second reason, educate some misguided salesfolks / customers in WP specs, ability, or apps growth. It wasn't that long ago when a salesperson told a customer that the WP tiles only come in one color. I facepalmed so hard I almost broke my nose.

Man, if it wasn't for the free wireless charging plate I would be with you 100%. My local Verizon store is not WP friendly and I'd love to endorse Windows over there for at least one sale. But free stuff... I love free stuff. :evil:

Assuming I can even scratch up enough cash by March to take advantage of the free wireless charging plate. Just got whacked with a big bill estimate I need to save up for that I wasn't planning on. Being a grown-up bites. :eck:

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Microsoft Store Wednesday night and put my $25 down. I'll be buying off-contract.

I know I may have posted this before, but these are the reasons why I'm buying from the Microsoft Store and not from Verizon:

1. I actually had a corporate Verizon Store rep tell me I couldn't buy any phone full-price/off-contract! He said I would have to buy from a 3rd party like the Microsoft Store. I don't know if that 100% true, so don't quote me on that. Maybe broadwaylos or bertongbadtrip can clarify that.
They do that often in the hopes of getting new contract customers. It is against verizons "official" policies but they do it anyway.

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

i've never had an issue buying a phone off-contract at a Verizon store. Now BestBuy - they love to rip you off on off-contract as they charge $100 more than the normal price at carriers or manufacturer stores. They do it because they don't make any money off of just selling phones so they charge a premium to make something.

qwank

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I want this phone but will have to use an upgrade from another line on my contract, will I have any issues doing this at the Mircrosoft store? also, my line has unlimited data still, is this going to also be an issue? Am I going to have to go through Verizon? I like Microsoft's warranty much better, and the free charger is a bonus.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What horror stories?

And some people are ordering at the Microsoft Store to get the free wireless charger.

Posted via the WPC App

Have a look at the 920 & 1020 forums, plenty of issues listed when ordering from Microsoft, but I'm sure there will be plenty in the Icon forum once it gets released.

rbzane

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I am torn between pre-ordering from Microsoft and waiting until Verizon trains their representatives on a phone that will be available in less than a week. I'm eligible for an upgrade from Verizon. Multiple trips to local Verizon stores (last one last night) and web chats (last one this morning) have gotten me nowhere. They couldn't even tell me what the price would be for my upgrade and then went as far as to quote me the 928 costs like I couldn't read! Can anyone on WPC provide Verizon pricing if eligible for an upgrade?

For your reading pleasure, here is my review of this morning's web chat (0 on a scale of 0-10)... "The representative knew nothing about the product about which I was inquiring (even though it is available for pre-order at Microsoft stores. When I asked about the MORE plan, she asked for my billing password. In these times of identity theft and fraud, why would anyone representative request a password?"

2. With the Microsoft Store, for $100, I can get insurance for 2 years and can get a brand new phone if it is damaged or defective.
3. With Verizon, for insurance, you have to use Asurian and I know it's at least $10 a month, and you'll most likely be getting a refurb as a replacement.
4. With Verizon, if your phone is defective, you may get a refurb as well. That happened to me with my Lumia 822. Verizon wanted to offer me a crappy refurb and my phone was less than 6 months old and still under warranty! They said they don't offer new phones as replacements. WTF!!! At least with the Microsoft Store, I'll get a brand new phone, no questions asked.
5. With the Microsoft Store, I'll avoid the Verizon reps trying to sway me to buy an iPhone or Android!

In conclusion, if I want to buy a new phone and Verizon wants my business, they need to have better customer service than the Microsoft Store has, and have better policies than they do. And yeah, that'll happen when hell freezes over!

So for anyone who lives near a Microsoft Store like I do, these are the Top 5 to avoid Verizon when buying a new Windows Phone.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Does the Microsoft 2 year warranty charge you a deductible if the phone needs to be replaced?

Yes. I did call my local Microsoft Store to confirm this too. $100 covers 2 replacements in 2 years. Each replacement requires a $49 deductible.

Answer Desk - Microsoft Store
At the bottom of the website page:
3. Customer is allowed two (2) claims within the two-year warranty period; each claim is subject to a $49 deductible.
4. Certain items subject to a $49 deductible, see store associate for additional details

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I called my local Microsoft Store, asking about if the free wireless charger is true with the order of the Icon. They sad yes, and you actually have a choice of the plate charger OR the charging stand! I thought that this was good information to pass on. Now which charging stand, I have no idea (if more than 1 type of charging stand exists, as I never had a stand). Will have to see once it arrives!

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I called my local Microsoft Store, asking about if the free wireless charger is true with the order of the Icon. They sad yes, and you actually have a choice of the plate charger OR the charging stand! I thought that this was good information to pass on. Now which charging stand, I have no idea (if more than 1 type of charging stand exists, as I never had a stand). Will have to see once it arrives!

I'm thinking it's maybe these two?

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/accessory/dt-910/

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/accessories/accessory/dt-900/

Posted via the WPC App

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
i've never had an issue buying a phone off-contract at a Verizon store. Now BestBuy - they love to rip you off on off-contract as they charge $100 more than the normal price at carriers or manufacturer stores. They do it because they don't make any money off of just selling phones so they charge a premium to make something.

Best Buy will match verizon off contract pricing. At least down where I live they will with no problem.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Ordered my Icon today at the Microsoft Store! Great experience. They seemed to be excited that I was ordering the Icon.

Posted via the WPC App

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ordered my Icon today at the Microsoft Store! Great experience. They seemed to be excited that I was ordering the Icon.

Posted via the WPC App
Did they give you an option of buying without contract at full price? I wonder what price they say without contract (is really 549)?

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Did they give you an option of buying without contract at full price? I wonder what price they say without contract (is really 549)?
When I put my $25 down on Wednesday, I asked them if they knew the off-contract price and when the official release date was. They didn't know the answer to either question because they said Verizon is keeping them in the dark on both accounts for now...

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

They didn't give me a price for off-contract. I did ask, but the guy that helped me said they didn't know yet.

Posted via the WPC App

ajscalingi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up, I pre-ordered today (16th). I mentioned the free wireless charger and was told I would receive it when I get the phone on the 20th.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Every time I have tried to purchase a product "off contract" from a Verizon Store they have told me that they will not sell the product without activation. I wanted to buy the Nokia tablet and they refused. So I'll simply order from Microsoft because I hate the attitude and hassle that I get at Verizon. My HTC One was purchased from Best Buy because of this. They tell me to buy it somewhere else... So.. Done!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss