Lumia ICON Camera

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
How are you guys disappointed in the camera ? The 1520 has one of the best cameras on the market, which bonds very well for the icon ...

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Would love to hear your explanation why

You didn't hear?
No glance, no double tap to wake, no microsd, not the best camera on the market, only a quad core processor, only 2GB of Ram, and it doesn't make my breakfast.
Seriously though, I didn't expect microsd coming from VZW, glance is a bit disappointing as I love it, but I think it will come in the future, and people complaining about the camera are basing it off of reviews from people that have had the camera for 10 minutes and don't know the difference between digital and optical zoom.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
You didn't hear?
No glance, no double tap to wake, no microsd, not the best camera on the market, only a quad core processor, only 2GB of Ram, and it doesn't make my breakfast.
Seriously though, I didn't expect microsd coming from VZW, glance is a bit disappointing as I love it, but I think it will come in the future, and people complaining about the camera are basing it off of reviews from people that have had the camera for 10 minutes and don't know the difference between digital and optical zoom.

It doesn't have the best camera because nokia put a 41 megapixel beast on the market. Find me a phone in the U.S that has something more than a quad core. The LG G pro 2 phablet that just got announced has an 800 and 3gb of ram. Its not like other phones are running around with octacores and 6gb of ram. And your forgetting that the windows phone operating system is much lighter than android. Look at the S4, top notch specs and people still complain about the laginess and a bunch of other problems, the 928 had measly specs in comparison and it runs much smoother.

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't have the best camera because nokia put a 41 megapixel beast on the market. Find me a phone in the U.S that has something more than a quad core. The LG G pro 2 phablet that just got announced has an 800 and 3gb of ram. Its not like other phones are running around with octacores and 6gb of ram. And your forgetting that the windows phone operating system is much lighter than android. Look at the S4, top notch specs and people still complain about the laginess and a bunch of other problems, the 928 had measly specs in comparison and it runs much smoother.

Hmmm, must have missed my sarcasm?
I was coming up with the lame excuse that the haters might come up with or the people throwing the word 'dealbreaker' around left and right.
I think we are in complete agreement.
It is the second best cameraphone on the market (only to the 1020) and it has the top specs.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, must have missed my sarcasm?
I was coming up with the lame excuse that the haters might come up with or the people throwing the word 'dealbreaker' around left and right.
I think we are in complete agreement.
It is the second best cameraphone on the market (only to the 1020) and it has the top specs.

Yea that totally flew right over my head!

Anyways, I'm just going to post this in response to all the ICON video samples making their way around youtube. I'm gonna call BS because the video I attached is from my 928 shooting 1080. Theres not a single ounce of lag (besides what youtube causes). Go to ~2:00 (Make sure you put it on 1080) to see how well it handles everything going crazy. I have no doubt in my mind that the ICON will blow people away with its video recording. I get so many questions on my channel about what camera I use, theyre blow away by the fact that its a phone. I also can say with a good amount of certainty that noone had a better recording of the audio.

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Anyways, I'm just going to post this in response to all the ICON video samples making their way around youtube. I'm gonna call BS because the video I attached is from my 928 shooting 1080. Theres not a single ounce of lag (besides what youtube causes). Go to ~2:00 (Make sure you put it on 1080) to see how well it handles everything going crazy. I have no doubt in my mind that the ICON will blow people away with its video recording. I get so many questions on my channel about what camera I use, theyre blow away by the fact that its a phone. I also can say with a good amount of certainty that noone had a better recording of the audio.

Yea I am not at all worried about what this thing is going to pump out in terms of video and photo quality. People are always amazed at the video I take with my wife's 928, especially when it is running after my kid. It is almost as steady as our professional steadicam rigs that are worth thousands of dollars.
If you want to remain incompetent like most of the reviewers out there and take mediocre images, go ahead and pick up your iphone. I will be enjoying the superior video, photo, and audio capture that this thing will provide.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if all the reviews are using the stock microsoft camera software instead of the Nokia Pro Cam. Is Nokia Pro cam default now cuz if it isn't, it should be.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see the camera(photo,video) comparison between 928&929. Photos using flash as well Xenon vs 2LED

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Remember that there's a hump in place for the camera on the 1520, while on the Icon there is none. I think if they would have attempted to change out for a bigger lens, it would have created the need to hump this out too. I'm personally pretty glad they didn't, as this camera should be more than adequate for a novice like me.

Right. And we all know that Verizon ain't Humpin' Around ...

*cue 90's reference*

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Icon bashing? This is not your baby. If the phone is disappointing it is ok to call it out. Just because it is the best windows phone available does not make it up to par wit the rest of the 2014 field.

This isn't yours as well so you can't call it out. Reviews are a way for people to know what to expect but from my experience, mileage will always vary. They say the Lumia 920 had horrible battery life but when I got it it's actually twice as long as my previous iPhone 5.

You guys do have 30 day return policy for items you didn't like right? Well why don't you try it out and use that privilege instead? You guys are very lucky to have a privilege like that, in our country we can't do that. We can only return an item if it is defective not if we didn't like it. 30 days is a long *** time to know whether it's a keeper or not. If you didn't like it then return it. It's really better to try it yourself.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
"Horrible camera"??

There's seriously no pleasing people on this board. Reviews rate it as the best smartphone camera shy of the 1020 and it's now "horrible" and a "Deal breaker"

Some people are just spec junkies. They look at the specs and like Roman emperors, look over the phones and put a thumbs down. I say, if you want SLR, get an SLR and keep it moving. This is a phone. It takes great pictures and great family video. Nobody is looking to send camera video to Sundance.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Here's my theory about the 1520 camera, Its has an aperture of 2.4f which is a bit smaller than Lumia 1020's 2.2f and a lot smaller than Lumia 92X 2.0f

Basically if the same light got captured by those three on locked ISO and shutter speeds the Lumia 1520 would've consumed the least light.
Now what if you were taking 30 frames not enough light will accumulate to make up for a clear image, by now most of you are saying that Iphones take good low light videos while having an 2.4f aperture, well BSI sensors are affected by electric cross talk, and I would think having a big magnetic ball bearing structure would add up to that problem.
Of course this could be software only and the above is all in my head, lets wait it out and see. :)

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
This isn't yours as well so you can't call it out. Reviews are a way for people to know what to expect but from my experience, mileage will always vary. They say the Lumia 920 had horrible battery life but when I got it it's actually twice as long as my previous iPhone 5.

You guys do have 30 day return policy for items you didn't like right? Well why don't you try it out and use that privilege instead? You guys are very lucky to have a privilege like that, in our country we can't do that. We can only return an item if it is defective not if we didn't like it. 30 days is a long *** time to know whether it's a keeper or not. If you didn't like it then return it. It's really better to try it yourself.

I agree with your point ... but the return / exchange policy on Verizon is now 14 days not 30!

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I am also confused as to why they moved away from the f/2.0 aperture of the 920, 928. It is clearly superior than 2.4. Downsampling wont help with lack of light.

Horrible mistake by nokia imo.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I do think *some* of the criticism in general is fair (microSD, LED versus Xenon or even the multicolor LED approach, even Glance). Considering the naming they are going for, nickel and diming specs out of it is a bit less "iconic". Heck, have you seen the complaints in the 520 forum about no Glance? Now try releasing a flagship level phone without it...

As for the camera, the WPC review liked it. The 1520 had a solid review from DPReview Connect. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for me, I will probably wait and see what WP8.1 is like on my 928 with the Dev release *hopefully* in April.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

EDC Las Vegas 2013 Ferry Corsten-Live Forever Vs Mammoth(HD) - YouTube

I should post the videos I took from a concert a few months back.
My 928 couldn't handle it. The flashing lights in the center of the screen just blew out the imaging processor. Everything was either pitch black or bright white, absolutely nothing in between. People around me with iPhones could actually see the band in the lights. Me? I just saw lights.

Now, my sound was better, but the video accompanying it is utterly worthless.

And, for everyone going "it's better than the iPhone!," what makes the iPhone camera nice is that you can spam the shutter button and take pictures as quickly as you tap. They're saying this is 8.5 seconds between shots. The iPhone is about .5 seconds. That's a huge, huge, huge difference.
8.5 seconds isn't really acceptable these days.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I just want my next WP to have a faster shutter speed. I don't like iPhones, but you can probably take 5 good looking pics in the time it takes for a single great looking one on a modern WP. Maybe these phones are more for amateur photographers or something, but in that case it should just be a setting that defaults to "take the picture as fast as possible". I know there IS a setting, but it doesn't really get the job done the way I want it to.

I love whipping out my phone to take a pic of something moving and just getting a big blurring splotch of crap. I don't care if the camera has 41mp or 8, as long as I end up with the picture that I intended to take.

I admittedly have never touched the icon, let alone taken a picture, but I am willing to bet it suffers from the same problem.

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
People are complaining about slow shutter yet using the Nokia Camera app, and taking a full sized image and a smaller image at the same time. You can't seriously be comparing that to what the iphone is doing. If this is a problem then use the build in WP camera app or the smart cam function on Nokia Camera. Much much faster and fantastic images. Not Nokia Camera fantastic, but still smartphone fantastic. Apparently giving the option for the best photos is not desirable?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo