So... Do I have this right?

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
The Icon is real. Check!

It actually has a release date that is CONFIRMED by Microsoft as being right NOW... BUT only if you go to one of their stores... However Verizon, who the media claims will offer the phone has no mention of it yet... So, as of yet Verizon seems to think it's still a secret? Even though it's actually been reviewed already by WPC and CNET.

So, VERIZON, still having nothing to say about it - including the fact that it will be released on the 20th, which seems common knowledge is still pushing the 928.

Further, Verizon (who is keeping it secret) and Microsoft (who has told everyone about it but will not let you get it unless you live near a Microsoft Store) still will not tell anyone how much it is off contract and CNET seems to think it is heavy, thick and uninspired? Oh, and the leaks about release date were all wrong entirely as no one suggested the 20, other than some dude in this forum who clearly has better Intel than @evleaks who still thinks it will be released on March 5th?! Wow... If this is how WP are rolled out. I may rethink my purchase entirely.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Carrier stores are typically clueless. AT&T isn't any better than Verizon in that regard. The reps usually don't know anything more than people on the forums.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
You are way too worked up. First of all my Verizon store said they would have it on the 20th when I called today. Second the Microsoft store in Tulsa confirmed the 199 contract/ 549 off contract piece. Third, nokia tweeted the off contract. Fourth this phone isn't gonna fly off the shelf so just go to your Verizon store on the 20th you won't have it before then regardless of how you try and purchase it. Fifth and finally, the chances of Verizon releasing another high end lumia this year is slim with this release and the new acquisition by Microsoft. If you want to wait for the rumored Samsung hurron go for it. But id rather go with the company that knows WP8 the most.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If you are an android guy I wouldn't even consider the Icon until you see the G5. The Icon will still be available should the G5 disappoint but I think its going to be the hottest smartphone on the market once its released in March which is only a couple weeks away.

You owe it to yourself to hold your ground until that G5 is available. What's a couple more weeks? Be patient.

Yes the Icon is nice but you're going kick yourself for not waiting a couple more weeks for the samsung tidal wave that's coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
If you are an android guy I wouldn't even consider the Icon until you see the G5. The Icon will still be available should the G5 disappoint but I think its going to be the hottest smartphone on the market once its released in March which is only a couple weeks away.

You owe it to yourself to hold your ground until that G5 is available. What's a couple more weeks? Be patient.

Yes the Icon is nice but you're going kick yourself for not waiting a couple more weeks for the samsung tidal wave that's coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or...get both. And the iPhone 6 later in the spring. A great year for all three platforms. Corporate expense accounts, yay!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You are way too worked up. First of all my Verizon store said they would have it on the 20th when I called today. Second the Microsoft store in Tulsa confirmed the 199 contract/ 549 off contract piece. Third, nokia tweeted the off contract. Fourth this phone isn't gonna fly off the shelf so just go to your Verizon store on the 20th you won't have it before then regardless of how you try and purchase it. Fifth and finally, the chances of Verizon releasing another high end lumia this year is slim with this release and the new acquisition by Microsoft. If you want to wait for the rumored Samsung hurron go for it. But id rather go with the company that knows WP8 the most.

Sixth-

"CNET seems to think it is heavy, thick and uninspired?"

Yet they gave it a 4 star (EXCELLENT) rating.

Personally I love the way it looks. If it's not "jazzy" enough for you stick a cover of your choice on it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is real. Check!

It actually has a release date that is CONFIRMED by Microsoft as being right NOW... BUT only if you go to one of their stores... However Verizon, who the media claims will offer the phone has no mention of it yet... So, as of yet Verizon seems to think it's still a secret? Even though it's actually been reviewed already by WPC and CNET.

So, VERIZON, still having nothing to say about it - including the fact that it will be released on the 20th, which seems common knowledge is still pushing the 928.

Further, Verizon (who is keeping it secret) and Microsoft (who has told everyone about it but will not let you get it unless you live near a Microsoft Store) still will not tell anyone how much it is off contract and CNET seems to think it is heavy, thick and uninspired? Oh, and the leaks about release date were all wrong entirely as no one suggested the 20, other than some dude in this forum who clearly has better Intel than @evleaks who still thinks it will be released on March 5th?! Wow... If this is how WP are rolled out. I may rethink my purchase entirely.

No... You don't have this right. Verizon is not keeping this a secret. Verizon put out a press release the exact same time Nokia announced the device. Noka Lumia Icon - Windows Phone 8

The phone releases on the 20th, as they have acknowledged. Why wouldn't they continue to push the 928? The 928 doesn't cease to exist, so why should they cease to sell it with still a week to go?

Why the hell does it matter that leaks about the release date were wrong? @evleaks was basing his last guess purely off the fact that the widely used picture of the Icon had "Wednesday the 5th" set in the calendar live tile.

Don't base the decision of which platform/device you use on how well or poorly Verizon chooses to roll it out. It's pure foolishness.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Indistinguishable, in the end what does matter what the roll out was like. If you want the phone get it, if you don't, don't!

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So, wait for a bloated scumsung laggy pos that will crap out on you after a year of use - id rather be "the guy with the windows phone" - kind of like when I got my first droid 6 years ago - I was "that guy with the droid phone". When 8.1 is released, Windows Phone will have no weaknesses from what I can see.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So, wait for a bloated scumsung laggy pos that will crap out on you after a year of use - id rather be "the guy with the windows phone" - kind of like when I got my first droid 6 years ago - I was "that guy with the droid phone". When 8.1 is released, Windows Phone will have no weaknesses from what I can see.

I have to agree with this, and I'm not an Android or iPhone hater. I had three Trophy's on my plan prior to WP8. All worked fantastically well throughout the life of the contract, all gained updates repeatedly, and all work even today just as well as they did originally. I use them as loaners for friends when their iPhones or Galaxy's crap out, they are always surprised that such an old phone performs so well even today. My HTC 8X, which was my Trophy upgrade, also performs like a champ despite several updates, and likely will still perform great after 8.1. It will be my new backup/loaner device and I'll retire the Trophy's (especially if I can get $100 for each on the VZ trade in deal). Again, having it as a loaner is a great way to remind people that OS updates do not have to destroy device performance (iOS), and furthermore that device OS updates actually can happen and keep an older device current (Android).

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It does seem like Verizon is trying to keep the launch a secret, especially since it's so hard to find the phone on their website. I went into a Verizon store today and asked about the Icon and the rep said, "The 928 is out now free on contract." I told him, "The Lumia Icon was just announced, it's a new phone that's coming out on the 20th." Then comes the line that makes me so sad inside. He said, "That's news to me!" How does Nokia expect to sell a phone without even announcing it? I get there was a press release and a YouTube video and whatnot, but the only devices that sell well are the ones that are made known and it doesn't seem like the carrier exclusivity is helping out at all. Another bad launch experience was on a local news channel. They had a technology segment and talked about the Icon saying, "We all love the iPhones and Galaxies, but we can't forget about chintzy Windows Phone! The Lumia Icon was announced..." I don't think the public image is very good for Nokia or Windows Phone and that's something they need to fix.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
MS really needs a massive ad push on TV showing the top features and the smoothness. Plaster it all over the place. But if they really want to spend some money right, get someone in most of these stores and train these sales folks. In addition, give some of the top sales folks free phones and incentives for others. Pull out all the stops for a few months and get the traction they need. Once the ball hits the top of the hill, it will roll down and snowball. Right now they're still trying to get the thing to the top.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Several of my staff are in the market for a new phone. Not a single one knew what the 929 or Icon was. In fact when I said "Nokia" a couple only knew they made "yellow phones." They did however know that the iPhone 6 is supposed to have a larger screen and will be released in the summer and that the GS5 is coming out soon... Several were planning on buying iPhone 5S and HTC One. Some, intelligent marketing is important Verizon.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
When the rumors about Microsoft having a Superbowl commercial broke, I thought great! Here's where they're gonna announce and push the Icon! Wouldn't that been a great idea? But what do I know? Not like a marketing director or anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99