Wireless Speaker to Stream 1520 to

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking for a wireless (wifi) speaker that I could use to stream music from my Lumia 1520 to. If I can stream from Windows 8 that would be bonus. So far all I've found is this speaker, but it looks like you need to buy an add-on wireless card for it. Plus it's a little on the expensive side. NEW! Allaire™ ARIS® Wireless Speaker System - Allaire™ Wireless Speakers - Speakers By Family - Aperion Audio

Are all wireless speakers still only bluetooth, or is there one that can connect to a wifi network for DLNA functionality?

air2liquid

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is what I'm dealing with right now. There's no good way to stream protected content from my PC/WP to any device. DLNA is fundamentally broke because it doesn't support protected content, and Miracast doesn't do audio-only (and it's point to point, no multiple rooms).

Bluetooth is your safest bet.

Best solution is still Airplay or Sonos.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. Is there a way to play music from Windows Phone through Airplay or to a Sonos device?

air2liquid

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. Is there a way to play music from Windows Phone through Airplay or to a Sonos device?

I don't know about Sonos, but there is no way to play music that is on your device to Airplay devices. What I've done is setup a Raspberry Pi that runs an iTunes server that has a 500GB drive attached to it loaded up with some (still ripping... hah) of my CDs in lossless (ALAC) format. I can control the iTunes server with "Remote for WP" and it will let me select the speaker I want to play the tracks to and it's volume. The only downside is I can't play Beats Music or Pandora from my phone to the Airplay devices. So I keep an iPhone 4S around for a remote control ;)

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about Sonos, but there is no way to play music that is on your device to Airplay devices. What I've done is setup a Raspberry Pi that runs an iTunes server that has a 500GB drive attached to it loaded up with some (still ripping... hah) of my CDs in lossless (ALAC) format. I can control the iTunes server with "Remote for WP" and it will let me select the speaker I want to play the tracks to and it's volume. The only downside is I can't play Beats Music or Pandora from my phone to the Airplay devices. So I keep an iPhone 4S around for a remote control ;)

I used to have a setup like yours years ago, but I had mostly Apple devices at that time so it made things easier. Microsoft really shouldn't be making things this difficult for Windows and Windows Phone users. I sincerely hope they introduce something to the effect of Airplay in the near future. It's a little unnerving how well Apple has gotten their ecosystem together, Microsoft needs to do the same.

More on topic, I'm probably going to go with a Beats Pill for the short term since Bluetooth is really my only option at the moment.

Last edited:

air2liquid

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Highly recommend the Jambox line of speakers. I've got an original one (shortly after release) and it still works great and sounds great. Never used the Pill, so I can't comment on it's quality. Beats stuff is usually decent though.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ultimate Ears UE MINI BOOM Wireless Bluetooth Speaker 984-000317 - Best Buy

My stepdad has one of these. I got to play with it when I visited my family last September. I was very surprised how well it sounded, very load and good bass.

Looks pretty decent, might have to check it out. Thanks!

We have Big Jambox and Mini Jambox. Both sound great. (The small one is for travel; the larger one for outdoor use at home.)

Highly recommend the Jambox line of speakers. I've got an original one (shortly after release) and it still works great and sounds great. Never used the Pill, so I can't comment on it's quality. Beats stuff is usually decent though.

Thanks for the recommendations. My local Microsoft Store has those on display, might be able to try it out before I buy. I'm interested in the big jambox but the price is a little intimidating.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Yep bluetooth streaming works really well from by 950 to an Harmon Kardon speaker on my desk.
Sound quality very good. Once paired its all very simple.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb