Since so many people have been having trouble with Verizon reps, I made a thread on reddit.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
and God forbid someone accidentally put today's date as their birthdate and there is NO WORKAROUND for your one-day-old customer other than making a Windows account yourself, "acquiring" them as a child, changing their birthdate, then releasing them from child status.

I'm fairly certain you can just log into the Microsoft Account and change your birth date in the account settings.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Nah. Just tried it. At least in the US, I'm pretty certain that's by design with minors, or at least up to a certain age. It does warn you that you need to have a parent sign in to "authorize" the account, but it does "create" or hold the account login just created - even if you hit cancel. So, if the customer wanted to use that login, they would need to have an "adult" account authorize the new one.

Google just refuses to create the account, unless you use the appropriate age.

So, 2 ways of handling it. In practice, Microsoft's is probably more "honest", as Google's requires you to fudge the age. You could do that as well on Outlook.com, but then there's also the credit card bounce they use as well.

Its not like the "Enter Your Birthday" field is pre-populated though. It would be good practice to verify the date before continuing though.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
This is a no win situation. According to some reply's on that thread it seems that reps are extreme afraid to sell WP because of their bad past experiences. That is sad and a serious obstacle for WP to over come.

Some said that they wont sell WP because of the returns. Going further buying a WP is on you. And that's why they try to talk you out of buying.

Well that's explain why this is a common problem every where. Thanks for this post.

The next question is. How can MSFT win back the sales reps on all these main line stores?

Its a simple answer, better product and money. To get people to change to windows phones they will have to be better than iphone and android and not in the eyes of you and me but reputable reviewers will have to say it. Being equal ain't gonna cut it. The high end phones will have to be cheaper than the competition and sellers will have to receive extra compensation for selling WM. Actually having 8.1 make it to all the devices it is supposed to might help also. It's vaporware until it's actually on a consumers phone.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Nah. Just tried it. At least in the US, I'm pretty certain that's by design with minors, or at least up to a certain age. It does warn you that you need to have a parent sign in to "authorize" the account, but it does "create" or hold the account login just created - even if you hit cancel. So, if the customer wanted to use that login, they would need to have an "adult" account authorize the new one.

Google just refuses to create the account, unless you use the appropriate age.

So, 2 ways of handling it. In practice, Microsoft's is probably more "honest", as Google's requires you to fudge the age. You could do that as well on Outlook.com, but then there's also the credit card bounce they use as well.

Its not like the "Enter Your Birthday" field is pre-populated though. It would be good practice to verify the date before continuing though.

Ah, I guess I can log in and change mine because it already sees me as an adult. I wonder if I changed my birthday to one of a child's age if it would lock me out.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
That is a very biased comment.

I support Android, iPhones and Windows Phones.

If something goes wrong with your iPhone it's not a simple two button press (frequently) and your phone requires a nice trip to apple care or you can wait for 3 hours at the Apple store. Also iPhone upgrades blow up SOOOOO much. At least 1 out 6 require a lot of extra work to get it to talk to iTunes, get contacts back or just plain boot up.

Android phones require reboots 3-4 times a week on average, act flaky frequently and are notorious for bad battery life, lockups and hardware failures.

Our older Windows Phones just work (Still have a handful of Samsung Focus's around that have to be the best phones ever made).

Sadly our Nokia's are not as good as the Focus. Some of what he said is true. I feel Nokia still has a lot of work to be where they should be but they are still really good. Nothing as bas as what he described.

I still feel it's terrible sales people that have kept Windows Phone from taking off. I am not trying to be mean but most of them just are not smart people. It's probably beyond their scope of intelligence to really know much about another platform.

Last edited:

NawfSideWillyB

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Good lord, just looked at the thread.. SMH. I go with AT&T and have gone through an 900, 920, and just got a 1520, and they attempted to talk me out of the first two. This one, I just went in and said " I want that and a screen protector. Not interested in anything else."
AT&T is just as bad although the reps I've experienced at least know about the phones and how to use the thing they try to talk you out of.
Seems like WP is becoming a stereotyped minority to the mobile world.
Damn shame, all I can say if you're like me and enjoy WP, spread the word.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Funny, I called a nearby Verizon store today to ask if they were for sure going to have the Icon in stock on Thursday. I was testing him a bit, so all I said was "will you have the new Nokia Lumia phone" on Thursday. Right away, he said "you're talking about the Icon, right?"

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
That is a very biased comment.

I support Android, iPhones and Windows Phones.

If something goes wrong with you iPhone it's not a simple two button press (frequently) and your phone requires a nice trip to apple care or you can wait for 3 hours at the Apple store. Also iPhone upgrades blow up SOOOOO much. At least 1 out 6 require a lot of extra work to get it to talk to iTunes, get contacts back or just plain boot up.

Android phones require reboots 3-4 times a week on average, act flaky frequently and a notorious for bad battery life, lockups and hardware failures.

Our older Windows Phones just work (Still have a handful of Samsung Focus's around that have to be the best phone ever made).

Sadly our Nokia's are not as good as the Focus. Some of what he said is true. I feel Nokia still has a lot of work to be where they should be but they are still really good. Nothing as bas as what he described.

I still feel it's terrible sales people that have kept Windows Phone from taking off. I am not trying to be mean but most of them just are not smart people. It's probably beyond their scope of intelligence to really know much about another platform.

My experience managing our account(1200 lines) at work backs up that summary 100%.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
All phones have issues. Some are just more familiar to people, so they know how to get around the occasional software glitches. My wife's iPhone 4S trashed itself when she connected it to her laptop and backed it up. Luckily, because iCloud backup got turned off at some point, the backup actually succeeded before the phone got trashed, so I was able to recover it. Had it not...factory restore and one pissed off wife (not at me, of course). The simple fact is all of these phones area complex, and run into software glitches. The VZW rep's comments were utter cr u know what. If you are in sales, you need to know your products. I don't care if you think you're not making enough. You make more money than 90% of the world's people, and you live a life the majority would consider as rich. Get off you lazy a__ and do a little research.

Windows Phone is probably the best OS for older people, people who don't want to tinker a lot, and people who just want to get stuff done. That's probably a good half of the market. The iPhone would be the ONLY other phone that should be marketed to those folks, but there are some distinct advantages to both OS' that you need to know your customer's needs to help with. Android should be reserved for the techy/geeky type, or people who need a lot custom things. I'm an Engineer and can't stand Android. It's just too much of a hodge podge of stuff thrown all over the place. I've sat at one of the tables in our cafeteria at lunch watching a couple co-workers who have the exact same phone, but on different carriers, trying to figure out how to turn on certain settings, or use certain functions that are in totally different locations simply due to the carrier. WP and iOS don't have that issue.

And I certainly haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned either. I'm sure most of them could have been resolved very quickly if the rep actually knew what the heck he was doing.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully all of my reps except one guy (who's on a final written anyway) know their business and know about our products and services. Including Windows Phones. It's a shame so many people look down on Windows Phone.

The worst part is Verizon corporate store sales reps probably make $50-60k a year if they're tenured or decent at their job. It's not like they're overworked and underpaid.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Its a simple answer, better product and money. To get people to change to windows phones they will have to be better than iphone and android and not in the eyes of you and me but reputable reviewers will have to say it. Being equal ain't gonna cut it. The high end phones will have to be cheaper than the competition and sellers will have to receive extra compensation for selling WM. Actually having 8.1 make it to all the devices it is supposed to might help also. It's vaporware until it's actually on a consumers phone.

That's sounds great in all. But what about those reps who got burned repeatedly by WP. How can MSFT regain their confidence? Ouch!

When I bought my phone at t-mobile the rep ask me if I like Nokia. I reply no I like MSFT and he ask me why? I reply I am a Windows Baby. And he smile. But He did try to talk me out of buying the phone. But now I understand why. Perhaps he was burned many times by WP before and felt that he was doing me a favor.

To help some what with this situation.
I am going back to that same rep to buy my next new Lumia 925. And I will assure him that things have changed at WP and he can recommend WP again.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have At&t, just thought I'd chime in.

I don't mean to offend anyone so please don't take offense to anything that I say.

I have At&t like I said, I love their customer service. Whenever I have a bad phone, even after warranty, I can still get a replacement. For example, in the last 4 weeks, I've had 6 Lumia 1020's. I say what's wrong, they say okay, and ship me a new one. However, their service is only decent. Data wise, yes, I get good signal, but voice call wise, it's a struggle. Verizon people never have this problem! I'm currently on my family plan with At&t and have been thinking about getting Verizon. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I stay with the cheaper yet better customer service At&t or should I go with the most expensive, better signal, but poor customer service Verizon? Just a side note to the thread. I do love the Lumia Icon and would take that over my 1020 any day of the week btw.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
You get Verizon for the amazing network. My family has been with Verizon before they were even Verizon and we've never had a customer service. However some people haven't been that lucky.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have At&t, just thought I'd chime in.

I don't mean to offend anyone so please don't take offense to anything that I say.

I have At&t like I said, I love their customer service. Whenever I have a bad phone, even after warranty, I can still get a replacement. For example, in the last 4 weeks, I've had 6 Lumia 1020's. I say what's wrong, they say okay, and ship me a new one. However, their service is only decent. Data wise, yes, I get good signal, but voice call wise, it's a struggle. Verizon people never have this problem! I'm currently on my family plan with At&t and have been thinking about getting Verizon. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I stay with the cheaper yet better customer service At&t or should I go with the most expensive, better signal, but poor customer service Verizon? Just a side note to the thread. I do love the Lumia Icon and would take that over my 1020 any day of the week btw.

It sseem that you know what you want. Hell yeah go for it. This thread I perceive is geared more towards the uneducated customer who never heard of WP and is redirected straight to Android or iOS. I don't think that this apply to you. Go get that Icon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss