Battery Tests. Results, NOT discussion.

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
This thread is mostly for fulfilling some curiosity. However, it may provide 1520 users with some estimation of battery capability and asses the real usage downers. I hope others will follow suite and try some other scenarios. Regardless, I hope others find this useful. The post was inspired by Michail71's thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/264018-3-days-get-20%25-battery.html

This is not entirely scientific and some variables or circumstances may not be accounted for. With that said, maybe a few guidelines.
1. If you provide a test result, be as thorough as possible and annotate usage/service activity during test.
2. Try to vary test parameters and use different applications and services than other testers.
3. Spectators should ask questions of testers to fill in information and data gaps.
4. Spectators should NOT challenge test results or provide non-relative information.
5. This is not a competition of who has the longest lasting battery. That does not help estimate real world usage. This thread is only as valuable as your contributions.

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
STREAM & SCREEN TEST:

1. Music will be streamed from Nokia Mix Radio over 4G/LTE connection. External speaker connected through headphone jack (25/30).
2. Xbox One SmartGlass will be used as the active application to prevent screen timeout.
3. System Battery Saver is disabled.
4. Display Battery Saver is disabled.
5. WiFi disabled.
6. Location service active.
7. A screen shot will be taken with time and date at 99%-100%
8. The test will begin with the battery register at 99%-100%.
9. The test will end with the battery register between 0%-20% or it shuts off.
10. A final screen shot will be taken with time and date at lowest notable level.
11. Communication during testing will be noted.

The test has begun as of: 10:14am, 2/17/2014
Update: 18:57, 8Hrs running, 1Hr Standby, 67% Battery

Update/Result:
12 hour period: 10:14 - 22:14
Battery: 47% Used / 53% Remaining

Non-interactive usage:
TuneIn & MixRadio LTE Streaming - 11.15 hours
Smartglass feature access - 10.5 hours

User Activity:
Phone - 7 minutes
Text - 3 in, 1 out
Email (read) - 3 minutes
AlphaJax - 13 minutes
PuTTY software update

Very promising, but incomplete results. I did not expect it to last this long. I will have to re-test next weekend when I do not have to go to work. At this rate, it looks like the battery will be in the 20% range when I need to leave in the morning. That would be an unsatisfactory situation.

Last edited:

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
This is a place holder for the re-test. I am open to suggestions for scenario criteria. If you think a different data service should be used or you have another way to keep the screen active, let me know.

Hope someone else gives it a shot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb