Nokia Lumia Icon Bugs and Defects

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
So I was looking for a pair of nice in ear headphones with a mic and remote control functions. Tried one pair with no success then i ordered the Nokia wh-920's. Still no success. I'm of the train of though that my phone has a faulty headphone jack.

Last edited:

drpaulk

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that when my Icon is on Navigation it gets very hot as well.

Anybody have a similar experience?

[Quick disclaimer, I'm very particular about this sort of stuff.]

Owned the Icon for about 4 hours now, here's what I noticed. When messing around with the Nokia Pro Cam, the phone got really hot. Almost to the point of burning your skin hot. I was also downloading a bunch of the Podcasts at the same time, not sure if it's related.

Second thing I noticed, the keys are not consistently lit up, this was the same thing on the Lumia 928. Not biggie, but just bad quality control in my opinion.

Lastly, when pressing down on the back of the device, it feels like inside back is sticking up against the battery pack and then quickly unsticking making a squishy noise. It seems there's a bit of room between the inside back of the case and the battery. Once I receive a case for the phone, this will become less noticeable I hope.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
OK, got my new (used) replacement today, set it up, and within a few hours I experienced the same issue with the WiFi and push notifications (really, not a push issue, but a failure to be able to update the accounts issue). At this point I am sending the "new" one back and keeping the one I have and hoping that some future software update fixes it.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Tried the headphone jack on the display icons at the store and my headset did not work on the first icon I tried. The second one I tried worked flawlessly. Anyone else with issues with thier headphone jack? well i guess i should clarify that it plays music just fine but the mic functions and inline remote doesnt work with the nokia purity headset ans well as another headset( jbl Synchros s100) either. it does not respond the the remote functions.

Last edited:

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Tried the headphone jack on the display icons at the store and my headset did not work on the first icon I tried. The second one I tried worked flawlessly. Anyone else with issues with thier headphone jack?

Have never tried it. If I can find some headphones I will give it a try and let you know.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that when my Icon is on Navigation it gets very hot as well.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Your phone will get hot during power intensive activities. That's true for any high powered device. Are you using Here Maps? If so, make sure you download the map that you are navigating to your device for offline use. You can do that by going in the settings on Here Maps. That generally helps with the power consumption, not to mention the various benefits of not using data while navigating.

Other than that, heat is expected.

orman62

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Lastly, when pressing down on the back of the device, it feels like inside back is sticking up against the battery pack and then quickly unsticking making a squishy noise. It seems there's a bit of room between the inside back of the case and the battery. Once I receive a case for the phone, this will become less noticeable I hope.

I got my Lumia Icon on Feb 21. The first week, no issue with squishy noise when touching or lightly pressing the back cover. The second week, I started hearing squishy noise often. The third week (this week), the hear squishy noise all the time. Anytime I pick up the phone, can not avoid touching the back panel, it makes the squishy noise. Light pressing of the back panel feels there is a hollow space beneath it, and makes the squishy noise. As mentioned by others, this is probably the Qi coil or something. But the question is why isn't there some filler underneath that supports the back cover.

This is really becoming very annoying. The squishy noise is very noticeable even to other people who pick up the phone to look at it. I have a feeling the increasing squishy noise is due to using Qi charger which results in the coil (if there is such a thing) to get hot and maybe damaging the back cover or the coil itself.

So I would like to ask all Lumia Icon owners (who experience this) to comment on this topic and let everyone know whether they notice the same. And please don't tell me to use a case. I do not like to use one, because it defeats the whole purpose of having a very nice looking and high quality phone (and it looks ugly in a case).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I got my Lumia Icon on Feb 21. The first week, no issue with squishy noise when touching or lightly pressing the back cover. The second week, I started hearing squishy noise often. The third week (this week), the hear squishy noise all the time. Anytime I pick up the phone, can not avoid touching the back panel, it makes the squishy noise. Light pressing of the back panel feels there is a hollow space beneath it, and makes the squishy noise. As mentioned by others, this is probably the Qi coil or something. But the question is why isn't there some filler underneath that supports the back cover.

This is really becoming very annoying. The squishy noise is very noticeable even to other people who pick up the phone to look at it. I have a feeling the increasing squishy noise is due to using Qi charger which results in the coil (if there is such a thing) to get hot and maybe damaging the back cover or the coil itself.

So I would like to ask all Lumia Icon owners (who experience this) to comment on this topic and let everyone know whether they notice the same. And please don't tell me to use a case. I do not like to use one, because it defeats the whole purpose of having a very nice looking and high quality phone (and it looks ugly in a case).

Squishy... Noise... What? Have you dropped it or bumped it somehow?

orman62

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I am using the word "Squishy" (to be consistent) because another user used that description. So I am trying to findout if this issue is affecting only two of us or other people are also experiencing it.
I have not dropped or bumped the phone at all (response to Indistinguishable).
What did you do to fix the problem (question to Novron).
If you are experiencing the same issue, or you know what is causing it, please respond (before I request a replacement phone).
Thanks

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I am using the word "Squishy" (to be consistent) because another user used that description. So I am trying to findout if this issue is affecting only two of us or other people are also experiencing it.
I have not dropped or bumped the phone at all (response to Indistinguishable).
What did you do to fix the problem (question to Novron).
If you are experiencing the same issue, or you know what is causing it, please respond (before I request a replacement phone).
Thanks
The ear speaker had also gone out on mine so I did a replacement under my insurance plan with Verizon. Nokia should be able to do a warranty repair. You'll be without a phone for awhile. Verizon will try to make you use your insurance.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I now have a replacement for my old icon with the screwed up headphone jack and it was indeed a hardware issue with my old phone. All is well now and the headphone jack works as it should for voice music and the inline remote control.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, or just something wrong with my phone. If I take a portrait picture almost straight down (like a picture of my cat on the floor from overhear), it will automatically save the portrait picture as landscape. If I immediately tilt the phone up (still in portrait) and take a normal picture of the wall or the rest of the room or something it saves it as portrait, as one would expect. Any one else notice this?

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Also...make sure that you don't have a bunch of Apps running in the background. That will contribute to the heating of the phone and the quick battery drain.

Your phone will get hot during power intensive activities. That's true for any high powered device. Are you using Here Maps? If so, make sure you download the map that you are navigating to your device for offline use. You can do that by going in the settings on Here Maps. That generally helps with the power consumption, not to mention the various benefits of not using data while navigating.

Other than that, heat is expected.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
MAPS: NO VOICE GUIDANCE ON BLUETOOTH. I cannot hear the voice guidance for maps on my vehicle when the phone is connected to Bluetooth. Is anyone else having this issue. Voice calls on Bluetooth work just fine. I know it's not an issue just with the Icon because I had the same issue with my android and iPhone. The only difference is that I was able to find a workaround with the android and iPhone, but am unsuccessful finding a solution for the Icon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
MAPS: NO VOICE GUIDANCE ON BLUETOOTH. I cannot hear the voice guidance for maps on my vehicle when the phone is connected to Bluetooth. Is anyone else having this issue. Voice calls on Bluetooth work just fine. I know it's not an issue just with the Icon because I had the same issue with my android and iPhone. The only difference is that I was able to find a workaround with the android and iPhone, but am unsuccessful finding a solution for the Icon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

What vehicle you drive? I have no problem with voice guidance through the bluetooth in my car on the Icon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077