About 1020 camera speed

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, was wondering can the speed of the mentioned device camera be improved via software, or is it dependable on hw? Went to local store to try it out, and it indeed was bit slow in between shots.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's a link to a good round up of cameras. It includes information about speed as well. Nokia PureView showdown: Comparing the Lumia 920, 925 and 1020 cameras | Windows Phone Central

From my understanding though, the 1020 has a mechanical shutter which is part of the slower speed. Saying that, using SmartCam (part of Nokia Camera now) you can take multiple shots fairly easy and quickly. there's also Blink by MS. When taking larger size images you have to compensate somewhere and that's speed. Whether it will get faster with better hardware is anyone's guess.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey, was wondering can the speed of the mentioned device camera be improved via software, or is it dependable on hw? Went to local store to try it out, and it indeed was bit slow in between shots.

I see you came from android environment
No fan war intended, I know you are talking about mods for our device and just like to find out more.

The reason behind the slower speed after shot can be attributed to the oversampling algorithms that occurs for each 5MP photo; I would not say its the only cause.
As 1020 has only dual core 1.5, the processing can take a bit of the time, and it will create a bit of wait. Then if you are saving 5MP+34MP or DNG, there will be additional wait time for the extra photos to be saved, and these files aren't small.

So are there ways to increase the speed? Yes. Use the built-in Camera app. The speed is almost similar to what you should be accustomed to with android stock camera. Because Camera doesn't have all the additional features of Nokia Camera (Pro Cam), less, if not no processing time is really required.
But the end result photos will not be as good.

How about in-depth mod'ing, like opening up and changing everything, from apps, firmware, to kernels? No. Windows Phone 8 OS is built closed and unbreakable, or at least no one has really broke Nokia. There's no way to change any values, yet.

Welcome to Windows Phone forum once again. Hope you do the #switch. :p

Kon Bick

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The reason behind the slower speed after shot can be attributed to the oversampling algorithms that occurs for each 5MP photo; I would not say its the only cause.
As 1020 has only dual core 1.5, the processing can take a bit of the time, and it will create a bit of wait. Then if you are saving 5MP+34MP or DNG, there will be additional wait time for the extra photos to be saved, and these files aren't small.

So are there ways to increase the speed? Yes. Use the built-in Camera app. The speed is almost similar to what you should be accustomed to with android stock camera. Because Camera doesn't have all the additional features of Nokia Camera (Pro Cam), less, if not no processing time is really required.
But the end result photos will not be as good.

That's a very detailed answer which clears what I read the other day. Actually, the processor in the Lumia 1020 is not able to handle 41 mega pixel shots (I think 20 was max) but the Nokia team together with the team that developed the processor could make it work for 41 megapixel but hence had to sacrifice speed.

Now, I asked myself why it takes a long time to even shoot (or in that case save) the 5MP shot. But I forgot that probably oversampling takes place anyway...

However, I don't find the native camera app a lot faster...just a little bit..

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for kind answers. First thing I look in phone communities is how people answers to newb questions. So far in wp communities everyone have been very kind. That could be reason enough to switch. Me? Getting tired of openess of android (flash-holic), starting to miss more closed environment. Now back to topic, I have decided to switch over later this year. Gonna see new hw being released by Nokia. Could be that even if 1020 gets successor, I would still get that original 1020 as the price would skyrocket down. And still the hw in it is future proof, as wp doesn't need that much horsepower to be lag free. Oh and as I live in Finland, it's mostly cold as.... Well it's cold mostly so that hyper sensitive screen is more than a deal breaker to me. And as android and ios has already enough users, I wanna support this "newcomer" by choosing to use it, and recommend maybe even. (tho it is hard to get my wife to switch from ios^_^)

Demonchld

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
When u see the Photo quality the speed becomes A thing of the past I got used to it already cause it takes so damn amazing shots.

Honestly when u can take photos like this you will forget all about how fast u can take photos :) Once the camera is up and running its really not that bad
download (8).jpg
download (9).jpg
download (10).jpg
download (11).jpg
download (12).jpg
download (13).jpg
download (14).jpg

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You may also want to take a look at ProShot Camera, for 1.99. Even more control than Nokia Camera. Many cool features including HDR and burst mode of 5 frames per second if you are shooting an action where you need to fire rapidly. Not sure if the resolution is as high on burst mode but they looked good when I tried it.

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
When u see the Photo quality the speed becomes A thing of the past I got used to it already cause it takes so damn amazing shots.

Honestly when u can take photos like this you will forget all about how fast u can take photos :) Once the camera is up and running its really not that bad
View attachment 57503
View attachment 57504
View attachment 57505
View attachment 57506
View attachment 57507
View attachment 57508
View attachment 57509

Awesome photo quality for a smartphone :) will consider this phone as next model to buy.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs