A few 520 questions from a 1020 owner

liquidphantom

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have acquired a new nokia 520 which my father purchased just before he unfortunately passed away.

I know it's not worth much to sell on so I'd like to use it as an alternative to ipod touch, but I have a couple questions.

1. I need to do a hard reset as it's locked, can I setup again without a sim (I don't need to make calls or text on it)
2. As I have a Nokia 1020 can I download Drive+ on the 520 and have access to all maps as I have that app in my account or do I still have the 520 and sim country limitation?

Thanks

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your father.

To answer your questions, even though I'm not a 520 certain things are common on all WP.

1. If the phone doesn't have Black on it you can't set it up with without a SIM. With Black you can use WiFi. If you don't know if you have Black and since you're doing a hard reset, which erases all data anyway, you can use this software - http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-quietly-releases-software-recovery-tool.html

If Black is available for the phone it will install it.

2. Only the flagship devices have access to Drive + and all the maps. The 520 only allows local country maps. You can pay for Drive + and get all the maps if you want.

Help - HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have two 520's and that is not true. You can use the 520's wifi without having black or amber on the system and without a sim installed. I got both of my 520's before they had amber or black on them and they both were used without a sim for awhile as a wifi only unit. Since then both have been upgraded to amber and then black and both are now in full use by my wife and daughter with a AT&T sim. I bought them as a backup to my 820; but my wife and daughter decided they wanted a smart phone instead of a feature phone. No backup now. I used the one my wife has for almost three weeks as a 4"tablet using wifi only and it worked great, no sim until she borrowed the unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss