The Sharks Are Already Circling

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I always expect articles like this, and don't think this one is particularly bad in the grand scheme of what reviewers typically offer. However, if you gave everyone a Windows Phone and told them to use it, invariably less than 5% would ultimately feel handicapped by using the OS. Most people don't need the newest, greatest thing, and that concept varies dramatically based on demographics anyway. Thus, even if what he says is true it doesn't follow that most people shouldn't even consider using a Windows Phone. He's trying to apply an uber-geek mindset to the average consumer, which just isn't accurate. WP will hopefully overcome this impediment, but as we can see it is a struggle.

Wanting to use Uber and Nest is now super-geek level? #TIL.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A lot of new construction will have the Nest and other similar devices. For instance, in Texas, the utility companies will give you a Nest for free with every new electricity connection because it saves energy in the long run. Here in CA, I get Rush Hour Rewards, discounts on my electricity bills because my Nest pre-cools the house before an expected hot period. Anyone who wishes to take advantage of these features will be handicapped by the lack of availability on WP.
That's true. However, many people rent older properties. My apartment complex is ca 1946; I don't even have air conditioning. The original steel-framed casement windows were finally replaced with thermal pane double-hung windows in 2012.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried "wellNEZTed"? 3rd party Nest app in the Windows Store. 60 ratings 4 star. Images look good and it has live tile support.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I remember reading articles just like this when the first android handsets came out. Same tone too, "Just give up, you'll never make it"

All those articles missed out on one crucial factor: the iPhone was only available with AT&T for the longest time, and people on other carriers were the ones driving Android's growth. Also, if you remember, Verizon went all out with Android since they didn't have the iPhone, resulting in the original Motorola Droid series. That, IMO, was what gave Android the crucial momentum it needed.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
A lot of new construction will have the Nest and other similar devices. For instance, in Texas, the utility companies will give you a Nest for free with every new electricity connection because it saves energy in the long run. Here in CA, I get Rush Hour Rewards, discounts on my electricity bills because my Nest pre-cools the house before an expected hot period. Anyone who wishes to take advantage of these features will be handicapped by the lack of availability on WP.

Are you talking about the IP controlled thermostat? That's manually programmable.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about the IP controlled thermostat? That's manually programmable.

And it's controllable from any computer, so technically, you could use your Windows Phone and simply use the browser to adjust the temperature in your house...because we know everyone does that all the time.

The whole point of Nest is that it does it for you and you shouldn't even NEED the ability to adjust "prior to coming home" or whatever...

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Implying that one can't live without an official Uber and Nest app is super-geek level. Look, I wish there was a Capital One app for my credit card account. Am I hamstrung by not having one? No. To say someone should not consider WP because there is no official app for everything is ridiculous.

TURNERO

May 20, 2013
Visit site
He really didn't say anything that wasn't true. I also have a 920 and it's a great phone, but the OS needs to continue to improve and do it rapidly. The new boss needs to put the pedal to the metal if WP is going to hang around.

Hopefully the fact that it's selling well in Europe will drive people to write apps for it which will hopefully drive sales in the US and elsewhere.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Implying that one can't live without an official Uber and Nest app is super-geek level. Look, I wish there was a Capital One app for my credit card account. Am I hamstrung by not having one? No. To say someone should not consider WP because there is no official app for everything is ridiculous.

How the Capital One mobile webpage? My bank has an application, but it's 100% easier and faster to use their mobile webpage. Just a thought.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
How the Capital One mobile webpage? My bank has an application, but it's 100% easier and faster to use their mobile webpage. Just a thought.

My bank's mobile site is better too. Not to mention, I use an app called WebApps to create custom tiles for mobile sites that don't have a WP app yet. It looks nicer on your start screen even though it's just an IE favorite pinned to start.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully the fact that it's selling well in Europe will drive people to write apps for it which will hopefully drive sales in the US and elsewhere.

That's a good point. I am in France a couple of times every year and I see many more people with a WP in France than I do in the state. I think the states are still pretty much iPhoneified. :straight:

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

You can, I can't. Similar case for many users. More importantly, the idea that someday I might want to use Uber and that day the WP app may not be available is not exactly comforting. And Uber isn't some niche geek thing either, it's a very popular service among a large cross-section of society. Not having it just means that I'll have to call a cab company, but it's just so much easier with Uber.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
You can, I can't. Similar case for many users. More importantly, the idea that someday I might want to use Uber and that day the WP app may not be available is not exactly comforting. And Uber isn't some niche geek thing either, it's a very popular service among a large cross-section of society. Not having it just means that I'll have to call a cab company, but it's just so much easier with Uber.

From the wikiHow How to Use Uber: 8. Get a car through the website or via SMS. If you don’t have access to the Uber app, you can request a car through the Uber mobile site or by texting your pickup address and city to UBR222.

I'm not disputing your reasonable preference. My statement was that 95% of the people who use smart phones would not be hamstrung by using a Windows Phone. I stand by that statement. For 95% of the people, using an occasional mobile website instead of an official app is not that big of a deal.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This is the type of stuff that pisses me off. The New York Times (a supposed respected publication) runs a review of a phone that NEVER TALKS ABOUT THE PHONE! No mention of screen size or processor. No mention if it takes a memory card or how much storage it has. Nothing about what colors it comes in or how much ram it has. No talk about size or weight, how it feels or what kind of camera it has. Instead the "review" dumps on the OS and us "loyalists" that would dare debate the app argument.

The app situation as been debated since the introduction wp7 and will probably continue for a little while longer but that review (or this thread) isn't the place for it. What burns me the most was that a great number of people that knows little about windows phone will read this hack job review and won't give it a chance........smh

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Not having Uber or Lyft in Seattle is actually a huge, huge frustration. Yeah, there are ways to still get Uber, but they're slower.
Inevitably, no one wants to wait for you to figure it out when they can just take out their phone, see the nearest cars, and call one. So you get mocked.

It isn't huge, but it's a frustration. There are very few apps I really feel I'm missing out on. That's one. Tinder is another, as though it's coming, I had to buy a used iPod Touch to use it (and it's another very important social life app.)

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Not having Uber or Lyft in Seattle is actually a huge, huge frustration. Yeah, there are ways to still get Uber, but they're slower.
Inevitably, no one wants to wait for you to figure it out when they can just take out their phone, see the nearest cars, and call one. So you get mocked.

It isn't huge, but it's a frustration. There are very few apps I really feel I'm missing out on. That's one. Tinder is another, as though it's coming, I had to buy a used iPod Touch to use it (and it's another very important social life app.)
There is a proper reply to this but i can't word it correctly without getting banned, still thinking.....

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
From the wikiHow How to Use Uber: 8. Get a car through the website or via SMS. If you don’t have access to the Uber app, you can request a car through the Uber mobile site or by texting your pickup address and city to UBR222.

I'm not disputing your reasonable preference. My statement was that 95% of the people who use smart phones would not be hamstrung by using a Windows Phone. I stand by that statement. For 95% of the people, using an occasional mobile website instead of an official app is not that big of a deal.

And I say that your numbers are ridiculous. To say, arbitrarily, without any reasonable data at all, that 95% of smartphone users will not be inconvenienced so, is unacceptable. The Uber app has significant advantages over the mobile site, which include Wallet integration such that I don't even have to take out my credit card. This is easily extensible to apps which are "niche" in your perception, but which may be of significant value for many people.

Why should these people choose a platform which is objectively less capable than others? What benefit accrues by this to ME, the User?

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
This is the type of stuff that pisses me off. The New York Times (a supposed respected publication) runs a review of a phone that NEVER TALKS ABOUT THE PHONE! No mention of screen size or processor. No mention if it takes a memory card or how much storage it has. Nothing about what colors it comes in or how much ram it has. No talk about size or weight, how it feels or what kind of camera it has. Instead the "review" dumps on the OS and us "loyalists" that would dare debate the app argument.

The app situation as been debated since the introduction wp7 and will probably continue for a little while longer but that review (or this thread) isn't the place for it. What burns me the most was that a great number of people that knows little about windows phone will read this hack job review and won't give it a chance........smh

Why do you feel so?

In my opinion, this review is very fair, it praises what is to be praised about WP and criticises what is to be criticised. To wit:

a graceful design, a brilliant display, a remarkable camera and an innovative set of microphones to make better-sounding home videos. The Icon runs Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating system, which has a cleaner and more coherent user interface than Google’s Android, and a more flexible and more informative home screen than Apple’s iOS.

But:

Windows Phone doesn’t have access to almost all the latest games that crowd the most-popular list on the iOS App Store and it lacks some of the most creative and useful apps by start-ups (like the credit-card reader Square). And Windows isn’t supported by many of the companies making intelligent devices that are controlled by your phone, like health-tracking devices or smart home appliances. There are no official Windows Phone apps to support the Fitbit health tracker, the Withings bathroom scale, the Nest home thermostat or Sonos’ multiroom speaker system.

It's not disputable that apps like Uber and Square are immensely helpful to people in their daily lives. These are no Flappy Bird or the latest infinite runner game. They are available on iOS and Android, and not on WP. This is not arguable.

Thus, I would like to ask you to expand further on this opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb