Why does the Icon lacks the awesome Nokia Glance?

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
The other thread is full of a lot of stuff, so I'll spare you some time. Short answer to the question, no one knows. Officially Nokia says "hardware limitation", in reality they probably couldn't work out a bug before launch. There are no promises that the Icon will ever get Glance, but there were no promises that the Icon would launch till a week ago so who knows.

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I got a L 520 ( black ) and no Glance here.

Well I was in the developer preview program but got out of that and updated my Nokia with the att update that rolled out and I have double tap to wake. WP 8.1 is suppose to bring support for all phones not just Lumia but that probably depends on hardware. I don't use 520 as my primary phone, it is just a device I can use to experience wp

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey people, i had a nokia 3120 classic bought 6 years or so ago, it's screen pixels worked separate of the backlight, and thus it had something like a glance screen (showed message and calls, and time) all those years back :p. I had a nokia 2700 classic too, bought 4 months later, and it didn't have. Infact it's screen could not function without the backlight. Same is with Lumia 520, its screen is linked to the backlight, so if you somehow get glance on it, it would keep your screen on all that time, and that's not a very promising option :p. Its screen isn't meant to stay on after backlight is off, and as long as backlight is on, the screen is on, and your battery is dead :p. So 520+glance screen=forget it ! Icon might have the same problem, it doesn't have an AMOLED screen, so it might never get it. But I'm not,sure about this thing. But 520 isn't gonna get it.

Martog

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey people, i had a nokia 3120 classic bought 6 years or so ago, it's screen pixels worked separate of the backlight, and thus it had something like a glance screen (showed message and calls, and time) all those years back :p. I had a nokia 2700 classic too, bought 4 months later, and it didn't have. Infact it's screen could not function without the backlight. Same is with Lumia 520, its screen is linked to the backlight, so if you somehow get glance on it, it would keep your screen on all that time, and that's not a very promising option :p. Its screen isn't meant to stay on after backlight is off, and as long as backlight is on, the screen is on, and your battery is dead :p. So 520+glance screen=forget it ! Icon might have the same problem, it doesn't have an AMOLED screen, so it might never get it. But I'm not,sure about this thing. But 520 isn't gonna get it.

920 has LCD and not AMOLED so non-AMOLED phones can get Glance. Oh the beast 1520 is also LCD and has Glance. Both of these would be linked to their backlight due to having LCD as LCD requires backlighting to see.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
920 has LCD and not AMOLED so non-AMOLED phones can get Glance. Oh the beast 1520 is also LCD and has Glance. Both of these would be linked to their backlight due to having LCD as LCD requires backlighting to see.

Oh well, i know my nokia 3120 classic didn't have AMOLED either (laugh). I'm said that I'm not sure AMOLED is necessary, but there must be something which allows some screens to function without a backlight. And 520 doesn't seem to have that. :p such screens were very common in the long gone days, most of my dad's old phones displayed time without the backlight all that time. But well, i don't suppose 520 is gonna get glance, because it doesn't seem as if its screen can run without a backlight. I might be wrong though :p. But hey, it does have double tap to wake, that's great ! :-D

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 actually does light up completely...you just can't see how low the other part of the screen is versus the "Glance" part unless the room is dark...hardly uses any battery at all in constant on use in my experience.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Well that's a new thing for me. Sounds stupid to keep the whole screen on for that thing, wouldn't AMOLED be better where dark pixels actually get shut down ? :p Well anyway, I'm having a hard time believing all time screen on doesn't consume battery, but we all learn new things !

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Well that's a new thing for me. Sounds stupid to keep the whole screen on for that thing, wouldn't AMOLED be better where dark pixels actually get shut down ? :p Well anyway, I'm having a hard time believing all time screen on doesn't consume battery, but we all learn new things !

But LCD is such low power, it's use is negligible.

Last edited:

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you guys read the thread posted in another forum about glance. I'm posting the link below. They talk about pixel damage on OLED screen. I'm not an expert on this, but maybe some of you understand.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=263272

Posted via the WPC App

The Icon's screen is AMOLED, not LCD like some guys here said. Anyway, Glance is available for 1020 and 925 which have both AMOLED screens. Do you know Moto X? Its Active Display can work because of its AMOLED screen, which enables certains pixels to go on and black pixels to go off to save energy.

A problem that I could think with LED screens (especially on TV) is this thing called screen burn. When certain pixels are lit with the same thing over and over again, that thing (for example, the Nokia logo on reboot) will somehow be imprinted slightly on the screen which can be noticed when the screen is turned off! It is screen damage. That's one of the reasons why I chose the 1520 over the 1020, because I am not a frequent phone switcher.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
That's what i had been trying to say.. Anyhow, icon should've got glance, pity they chose to remove it, quite a deal breaker. Maybe apple paid Verizon off ? (conspiracy theory !! :p) (laugh) who cares ? There's no icon in India, and I'm just waiting for wp8.1 :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo