WP8 on Lumia 1520 is a fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Other than those running Windows or with TouchWiz, how many tablets allow you to have more than one app(lication) on screen?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is a big fail et all. 1520 is simply awesome and great feel in hand. Love the way it is designed , streamlined.

About new features you mentioned - it is always good to have them but they are not deal breakers for me.

About pushing windows 8 on phone - we are at least 2-3 years away from it as it involves solving battery issues , overall dimensions of a phone etc.

for record - Lumia 1520 is not just an awesome phone - it is mind blowing :)

The OP is certainly not the only one considering this.

Windows 8 Phone? No... it's not a typo | Windows Phone Central

How viable it is or how well it would work is certainly up for discussion.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's funny - this sounds so much like the 'Metro / Desktop' (WP / W8) discussion when it comes to hybrid PCs. Not enough desktop on this one, not enough Metro on that one. Too much tablet-centric here, too much clamshell there. *shrug*

I think the Acer R7 is a perfect balance. The clamshell gets replaced with an easel style display.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Wp8 was designed in the first place for 4" handsets.
Then came the bigger phones, but WP was not ready for that.
This support came lateron with WP8 Gdr3, but stil isn't fulgrown.
The update in 8.1 wil correct that for the most part.
The rest is in the hands of the developers, thats why they get the 8.1 sdk's and the first updates of the WP 8.1 os.

The same thing you saw in the "early days" with Android and ios, the early apps were not build for tablets or phablets,
so they looked in the beginning quite "oversized" or blow'n up.

In this case its not any different, the hardware developing goes faster then the Software or OS developing.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It's still true...especially for iOS...Instagram still doesn't work on an iPad without turning it into portrait mode and viewing the iPhone version of the app.

Mohammad Arshad

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday, and the only thing I don't like is how the tiles cannot be stretched to cover the entire length of the screen, like we were able to do in other (albeit smaller) lumia phones.

But its not really a fail, jut a minor annoyance.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wanted a tablet, so I bought one. I wanted a phone so I bought one, and I wanted a Laptop so I bought one. Each has it's job to do.

1) Tablet
Acts like a computer when I am away from home in a hotel or something like that.

2) Phone
Acts like a phone when I need to receive and make calls, and text, also act similar to a computer when I am on the move between home and hotel

3) Laptop
It is a computer that isn't tied down to a desk...

All 3 can print to my printer, all three can watch movies, surf the web, get my email. All three have similar OS's (Windows 8) So I am familiar with all three. Screen sizes go from 6", 10.2" and 17.3" so all large screens. I like the 1520, it feels better in my hands than the Note 2 ever did. I sold it because it felt too big.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I wanted a tablet, so I bought one. I wanted a phone so I bought one, and I wanted a Laptop so I bought one. Each has it's job to do.

1) Tablet
Acts like a computer when I am away from home in a hotel or something like that.

2) Phone
Acts like a phone when I need to receive and make calls, and text, also act similar to a computer when I am on the move between home and hotel

3) Laptop
It is a computer that isn't tied down to a desk...

All 3 can print to my printer, all three can watch movies, surf the web, get my email. All three have similar OS's (Windows 8) So I am familiar with all three. Screen sizes go from 6", 10.2" and 17.3" so all large screens. I like the 1520, it feels better in my hands than the Note 2 ever did. I sold it because it felt too big.

Based on this 3-point detention, 1520 is 1+ 2 = Phone + Tablet = Phablet.

Phablet is a very new concept. It's still under development/evolution, but at the end it's meant to act as a full blown Phone AND a full blown Tablet. at the same time.

But if I may speculate about trends and future, since 1 + 2 is equal to 3, so it must be equal to a Laptop too, at least based on this 3-point detention. The hardware of this little monster (a powerful SoC and large high-res screen) is capable of replacing the Laptop anytime, but the software (both Operative System and Apps) needs to evolve and provide that little extra that can make it functions as a Laptop. The potential/promise of Laptop-replacement is there, I would speculate.

Almost all big players and manufacturers have committed to developing Phablets. New models with more powerful SoCs and even higher resolution screens is popping up everywhere. This is speeding up the development of Operative System and APPs to a new level, worthy of a Phablets.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP, the 1520 has nothing more than bigger tiles and better camera. One would expect a phablet to have a stylus and some level of true multitasking. Running two apps side by side like in Windows 8 would have been so awesome.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the list of new features in WP 8.1, the 1520 will become an even more amazing device.

I decided to keep my 1520, put it on my AT&T share plan for $15/mo and using the time to learn more and more.
The more I learn, the more I like it. Now, I just have to get over the SIZE thing. :)

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
One would expect a phablet to have a stylus and some level of true multitasking. Running two apps side by side like in Windows 8 would have been so awesome.

wel how many phablets does come with a stylus, i know samsung does ,but who else?
So no one expects a stylus.
The tech Samsung is using is completely differant, its not just the stylus but its also the screen.
Its a Phone with a big screen, not a fulgrown Tabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans