WP8 on Lumia 1520 is a fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is a big fail et all. 1520 is simply awesome and great feel in hand. Love the way it is designed , streamlined.

About new features you mentioned - it is always good to have them but they are not deal breakers for me.

About pushing windows 8 on phone - we are at least 2-3 years away from it as it involves solving battery issues , overall dimensions of a phone etc.

for record - Lumia 1520 is not just an awesome phone - it is mind blowing :)
what part of it is mind blowing when you got all these features introduced on previous lumia phones ?? except for the large display ofc

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It's funny - this sounds so much like the 'Metro / Desktop' (WP / W8) discussion when it comes to hybrid PCs. Not enough desktop on this one, not enough Metro on that one. Too much tablet-centric here, too much clamshell there. *shrug*

I hear what you're saying about what could be, but I doubt you thought you'd find a forked WP8 OS on this phone when you bought it. There was nothing in any review that would suggest that. And since you love Lumias you got exactly what you knew you'd get.

For me, the phone is excellent. But then, I look at it as a phone (since that's why I bought it) and not a tablet. Perhaps you should look at some of the W8 8" tablets and carry a smaller phone?
you misunderstood me , I don't own alumia 1520, I own a 920 which is perfect for me , and I do have a W8 tablet, but I was just wondering about how awesome it would've been if Microsoft designed something spectacular to a hardware as good as 1520

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
There is some valid points here, but 1520 is a kind of "pioneer" and driving the development of Operative System and Apps, in many aspects.

WP has just added 1920 x 1200 support, but they didn't do much else to take advantage of this huge real state. The WP development team seams to have been taken by surprise, but the real evolution will come when App-developers start taking advantage of this new big and high-resolution screens. It's just a matter of time, soon both WP and Apps will be adjusted/redesigned for high-res screens, and of course the future holds 2k and even 4k screens.

The same is true about the new powerful Snapdragon 800 SoC. It has enough juice to run a full blown Windows 8.1, but the WP development team seams to be hanging behind, again. The WP 9.0 will probably use one unified Operative System for Phone, Tablet and Desktop. But In case, it couldn't be relisted without these kind of powerful SoCs.

The hardware specification of 1520 is too good for it's time actually, but it's driving the development of Operative System and Apps to catch up. All technology pioneers face similar challenges for a period of times..

I really like what you said but that's the same scenario again and again and nothing seem to change as years pass by :s

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd just like to point out that other than the Galaxy Note series, there really aren't any phablets with functionality that differs from related phones.

yeah because I was referring to the galaxy note series , im sure Microsoft can come up with something better

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
This thread is a fail. You bought a phone and expected a tablet. Next you'll be buying a 2520 and wondering why it isn't a phone.

As for "nothing new other than an oversized 920," it has
- Extra column of buttons
- 1080p for the first time
- Some apps taking advantage of extra space, but obviously not all
- Nokia Black which brought in a lot of it's own new features:
-- Glance screen
-- individual app shutdown (big red x)
-- Grouping (you know, like on windows 8)
-- Beamer
OMG can you and everyone else calm their tits ?!
I didn't buy the friggin phablet, I own a 920 and its perfect. And im sorry but even the list you just typed is a big fail. I have all of these features on my 920 except for 1080p and the 3 columns and they are deal breaking if you ask anyone. all the new lumias will have them

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Basically, what you are saying is OEMs should add more features to the software?

seriously ? you left the whole argument and commented on that ?? you know what I mean, I'm addressing Microsoft because they didn't add extra features and I'm addressing Nokia because they didn't include windows 8 and since Microsoft acquired Nokia, you're lovely line is invalid because I can address both of them as one
thank you.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
wel how many phablets does come with a stylus, i know samsung does ,but who else?
So no one expects a stylus.
The tech Samsung is using is completely differant, its not just the stylus but its also the screen.
Its a Phone with a big screen, not a fulgrown Tabled

its a phone with a big screen, exactly ! you might as well use that for your advantage and throw in a stylus or an exclusive software to help make use of all of the potential of the 1520 under the hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea