Think that if I waited for MWC, we'd see a Lumia Icon with SD support?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm just in a love/hate relationship with Windows Phones in general. Seems like not much consideration is going into making sure all bases are covered for these phones. What I need to be satisfied is actually quite simple; a phone with the internal storage for my many apps, power to play my games, and the external storage to accommodate my lossless audio collection plus pictures/videos without taking from the space I use for apps and games.

? Lumia 520: I love it's size and form factor because it matches my Surface Pro 2... but the processor sucks, the screen sucks, it doesn't have a front facing camera for Skype and half a gig of RAM means I can't even install everything I've paid for. Sadly, this is the only one that supports SD and isn't too large, so it ends up being my daily driver even though I own a vastly superior Lumia 1020... and even still, it seems like the external storage was an excuse for them to cut comers on providing adequate internal storage.
? Lumia 1020: It's powerful, we can't mention this phone without mentioning it's best-in-class camera, and the less-than-1080p screen has actually been a wonderful benefit for my battery life... but I'm furious that some DUMBASS seriously decided against expandable storage in a phone where high quality video/picture taking are top priority. That was just plain damn senseless. It's even worse now that we can shoot RAW.
? Lumia 1520: It's almost perfect. Pairs great specs with the consideration that 16/32GB just isn't enough for those who care about having apps AND multimedia... but no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise; it's just too big.
? Samsung and HTC make some good Windows Phones... but Nokia has such a heavy lock on the ecosystem that I can't consider them viable options.

I'd be lying if I said I weren't interested in the Lumia Icon because it's essentially the "Galaxy S4" of Windows Phones... but the lack of SD support would put me in the same boat that I'm already in with the 1020 I have. Think I should just wait to see what MWC has to offer? I hear rumors of a Lumia 1820 that sounds like the ultimate option for someone that wants a reasonably-sized high-spec phone with external storage capability.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1020: It's powerful, we can't mention this phone without mentioning it's best-in-class camera, and the less-than-1080p screen has actually been a wonderful benefit for my battery life... but I'm furious that some DUMBASS seriously decided against expandable storage in a phone where high quality video/picture taking are top priority. That was just plain damn senseless. It's even worse now that we can shoot RAW.

there was an exclusive limited edition of 64GB of the 1020. Do some digging if You're interested :)

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I hear rumors of a Lumia 1820 that sounds like the ultimate option for someone that wants a reasonably-sized high-spec phone with external storage capability.
Un-hear the rumors. They are definitely not true, and Nokia is not releasing any new Windows Phones at MWC, and if they were going to, they would release low end hardware. They usually host their own event for new releases, like the 1020 Press Conference and the 1520 Press Conference at Nokia World. The 1520 also has an SD card slot btw, so maybe you can overlook the size. People who thought it would be way too big for them now won't use a phone that is any smaller!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Word is MSFT is going to be all but absent from MWC this year as the MSFT event is in April.
That actually might have been the event I was thinking of when I said MWC.

there was an exclusive limited edition of 64GB of the 1020. Do some digging if You're interested :)
I actually have been looking into that since it was announced... can't get any solid information on whether they changed it's bands though. Do you know if it'll play well with GSM carriers in the US?

Un-hear the rumors. They are definitely not true, and Nokia is not releasing any new Windows Phones at MWC, and if they were going to, they would release low end hardware. They usually host their own event for new releases, like the 1020 Press Conference and the 1520 Press Conference at Nokia World. The 1520 also has an SD card slot btw, so maybe you can overlook the size. People who thought it would be way too big for them now won't use a phone that is any smaller!
I've actually already tried to... 1520 just wasn't working out for me so I went back to my 1020, then recently re-bought a 520 (just because someone was selling it for $48) and I've been regularly switching between the 1020/520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs