First impressions and photos

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store bright and early this morning to grab my Icon - I arrived at the Center City Philadelphia store at 8:30, a half hour after opening, and the sales representative told me there had already been one other person that morning who bought one.

For me, coming from an HTC 8x, it is both lighter and easier to handle than it looked at first. I used to think the 8x's 4.3 inches was the perfect size, but I love having the full 5 inches for the extra row of tiles on screen. And it is a beautiful screen - the blacks are amazing, and everything pops fantastically. Only thing I'm not thrilled about is Verizon's screen protector - I'll likely swap it out for a matte one when I can find one.

Performance is better than I thought you could get on Windows Phone right now - it is as smooth as ever, but apps are faster and more responsive than I've ever experienced. What I had always assumed was due to poor app optimization on Windows Phone seems to have been fixed by the Icon's new specs.

WP_20140220_003 (1).jpg

WP_20140220_004.jpg

Pictures taken with my 8x.

Has anyone else gotten their hands on one? What do you think?

Feel free to move this post somewhere else so we don't get inundated by first impressions posts.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I got mine a few hours ago.

I love the feel and weight of the phone. It's a great balance (imo). Going back to Windows Phone after being on Android for the last year is like a breath of fresh air. I agree with you this phone is a smooth and fluid as I have ever felt.

I've only taken a few pictures but they look great. When I get my kids tonight I will snap a whole bunch and have a better idea.

I need some more time but so far I am loving it. No negatives except the lack of swype. Seriously how do people use phones without it!?!?!?

ajscalingi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Got mine. Went with the white. So far so good; I had the 928 and there's a noticeable difference in terms of speed and display. After (very) limited use, my only issue thus far is the vibrating that occurs when tapping the "back" "home" or "search" key. To my knowledge it can't be disabled, and surprisingly, the vibration feels odd? compared to my 928.

That said, please take my criticism with a grain of salt as I've only used the phone for about an hour. Beyond that, however, the phone is gorgeous, fast, and surprisingly light as compared to the 928. Happy with the white but in hindsight I may like black more.

alphacc82

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
"After (very) limited use, my only issue thus far is the vibrating that occurs when tapping the "back" "home" or "search" key."

It can be disabled with Nokia's latest update. I forgot what system app it was, but it can be done now!

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
There should be chance to turn vibrating of Windows Keys. It should be under Touch settings (or something like that, i have my own language). On same where you can set sensitivity of touch screen. Not sure if that was there before becouse i got update for that today.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Got mine. Went with the white. So far so good; I had the 928 and there's a noticeable difference in terms of speed and display. After (very) limited use, my only issue thus far is the vibrating that occurs when tapping the "back" "home" or "search" key. To my knowledge it can't be disabled, and surprisingly, the vibration feels odd? compared to my 928.

That said, please take my criticism with a grain of salt as I've only used the phone for about an hour. Beyond that, however, the phone is gorgeous, fast, and surprisingly light as compared to the 928. Happy with the white but in hindsight I may like black more.

I believe the vibration with the back/home/search buttons can now be disabled with the Black update. I'm curious to know if it can be done on the Icon, since I don't have my Icon yet. Let me know if it works!
Nokia Touch update allows you to disable button vibration | Windows Phone Central

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the touch vibrations feel a little bit different. I think it's the slight delay coupled with the decreased sensitivity of the buttons themselves compared to what I'm used to. I'm alright with this, as it means there is a smaller area that triggers them and will hopefully lead to fewer accidental presses.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Got mine in black today, just wasn't feelin the white. Phone is much lighter than I expected. Very solid feeling. So far so good, Trying to figure what all to put on my home page.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Got the white about 2 hours ago @ a corp. Store, phone looks and feels light years better than the 928. More professional feel as opposed to the 928. Screen is better but not like "wow" better, but it is very nice. There is a noticeable speed difference as well. Over size is exactly like the 928, you can't tell its a touch taller at all. I'm used to the 928's weight and can't tell that it is lighter. Will test the camera when I get home. Great so far , but missing glance & double tap to wake. Hope they get whatever is stopping from working figured out.

barkins

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Got mine this afternoon in black. Really fast and smooth. Solid build only the Qi coil making noises when pressing hard on the back but with a case it shouldn't be noticble.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I got mine a few hours ago.

I love the feel and weight of the phone. It's a great balance (imo). Going back to Windows Phone after being on Android for the last year is like a breath of fresh air. I agree with you this phone is a smooth and fluid as I have ever felt.

I've only taken a few pictures but they look great. When I get my kids tonight I will snap a whole bunch and have a better idea.

I need some more time but so far I am loving it. No negatives except the lack of swype. Seriously how do people use phones without it!?!?!?

Swype will be in WP 8.1 or MS version of it anyway.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia 1520 (RM-937)

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have to retract my last statement about the speaker. The 928 is louder. After a full days use @ a construction jobsite I had to turn it up to level 17 from the 928's level 14. Speaker phone goes from level 5 to level 7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs