Phone gets hot!

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia Icon has been getting hot in the bottom right corner, has anyone else had issues with this? Usually Lumia devices get hot near the camera, which is not very obtrusive since one does not primarily hold the device there. I only use the device for 5 minutes and it starts to warm up

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Mmm... I don't think that's normal. It all depends on what you were doing on the phone for those 5 minutes. My 820 gets very hot very quickly when playing games. If the phone gets hot under normal usage in that short space of time then I'm guessing there's a problem somewhere.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree...what are you doing? It goes from cold to hot and you are just looking at the screen for 5 minutes? Or are you playing a game?

I was looking for tear down pictures to see what would be in that lower corner but the pics are hard for me to get an idea of what is where... I'd just assume they moved the placement of the processor to make room for the PureView system. The only reason the 920 gets hot at the top is that is where the central processor is.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It could be having trouble syncing an account? Did you recently change a password? I've had that happen. Preform a hard reset. Press and hold volume down and power button until the phone vibrates and restarts. It clear the cache. You will not lose anything

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree...what are you doing? It goes from cold to hot and you are just looking at the screen for 5 minutes? Or are you playing a game?

I was looking for tear down pictures to see what would be in that lower corner but the pics are hard for me to get an idea of what is where... I'd just assume they moved the placement of the processor to make room for the PureView system. The only reason the 920 gets hot at the top is that is where the central processor is.
Could the central processor be located in the bottom now?

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
it's very bothersome that the phone gets hot in the bottom right, considering that is where most people hold the phone. Does everyone's Icon get hot? could it just be the black model? all I have to do to get it hot is go on twitter or the browser after 1 minute

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
It could be having trouble syncing an account? Did you recently change a password? I've had that happen. Preform a hard reset. Press and hold volume down and power button until the phone vibrates and restarts. It clear the cache. You will not lose anything

Off topic but that is a soft reset. Hard reset looses data.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
it's very bothersome that the phone gets hot in the bottom right, considering that is where most people hold the phone. Does everyone's Icon get hot? could it just be the black model? all I have to do to get it hot is go on twitter or the browser after 1 minute

And this is a downfall to getting a phone so early. No one to actually bounce ideas off of, haha

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

That sounds odd. Mine is not like that. How's your battery life? I watched a 30 minute video on youtube last night in HD and it wasn't hot at the end.

DeathByPlant

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
My phone gets hot only when I'm charging it and play games, it REALLY gets hot when I'm play VBA8 emulator, but I think it's because of the app

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
My phone gets hot only when I'm charging it and play games, it REALLY gets hot when I'm play VBA8 emulator, but I think it's because of the app

Side effect of the processor working its **** off, and electricity going to and leaving the battery is heat, so yea.

Heat focused in a specific part like that is odd... without a teardown, it's hard to say where the battery is (or how the cells are arranged) since that's usually where the radiated heat we feel comes from. I did notice that the metal band gets warm, so it might be the combination of heat from the phone + heat from your hand making it feel hotter than the rest of the phone.

I'd wander back to the store, and play with the display model doing similar tasks. Easy way to see if your phone is broken.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Heat focused in a specific part like that is odd... without a teardown, it's hard to say where the battery is (or how the cells are arranged) since that's usually where the radiated heat we feel comes from. I did notice that the metal band gets warm, so it might be the combination of heat from the phone + heat from your hand making it feel hotter than the rest of the phone.

There are teardowns, it is just hard to tell what is what from static pics. But the battery is not down there...the battery is right in the heart of the phone.

Whatever is causing the heat would be the thing in the lower center of picture 3.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...lumia-icon-disassembly-pictures-teardown.html

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
There are teardowns, it is just hard to tell what is what from static pics. But the battery is not down there...the battery is right in the heart of the phone.

Whatever is causing the heat would be the thing in the lower center of picture 3.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...lumia-icon-disassembly-pictures-teardown.html

Thanks, hard to tell since there's no frame of reference to the pics. I figured the battery would be in the middle somewhere, par for the course.

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
my Icon gets extremely hot when I'm on Instagram & Vine, all versions, the official ones and 6sec & 6tag. So hot that I might return this thing. I don't want this phone to explode in my hand or something. I never had a phone get this hot before

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
While that is a good idea, what you described is referred to as a "Soft" Reset. A "Hard" Reset will delete all apps / data from the device and return the device to factory settings (if you need a Hard Reset and can't use the one in the Settings menu, here is the buttons only approach: hold the volume down, power button and camera button until the phone vibrates, then release the power button and keep the volume down and camera button down for another 5 seconds)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Could there be a radio down there? We always assume the radios are at the top. It's the antenna that has to have line of sight, not the radio itself. If it is a radio, then it could be faulty and over heating.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You will lose some data but if you have the backup setting set to backup apps they will all come back and your "start screen" will come back exactly as it was.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Could it be the memory? 32GB of solid state memory doesn't take up a whole lot of space. But it could be heating up due to data transfers.

TechyMexican, are you noticing any slow down in performance?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999