Network Signal Strength

jrotunda

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So I made the leap from my iPhone 5S to the Icon on Friday and I'm enjoying it thus far. One thing I've noticed; however, is that the Verizon Network signal strength isn't nearly as good and I'm not sure if there's a way to reset it or others can confirm. For example at my house, where I always had 3-4 bars of LTE with my iPhone 5s and the 5 before it - I now can only get 2 with the Icon. Any ideas?

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
So I made the leap from my iPhone 5S to the Icon on Friday and I'm enjoying it thus far. One thing I've noticed; however, is that the Verizon Network signal strength isn't nearly as good and I'm not sure if there's a way to reset it or others can confirm. For example at my house, where I always had 3-4 bars of LTE with my iPhone 5s and the 5 before it - I now can only get 2 with the Icon. Any ideas?

We have an iPhone 5s user and 2 Windows Phone users in our house and we almost always have different sets of signal strengths. I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with the manufacturer and how the phone reads the signal etc. If you have the old iPhone sitting around still, you might try downloading a speed checking app to each and see that they say.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine is exactly the same if not slightly better. With my iPhone 5S I get 2 bars of LTE at my house and the Icon bounces between 2 and 3 bars of LTE. This morning my wife and I went to our favorite breakfast restaurant where we eat every Saturday morning. With my iPhone 5S I would usually get no service or very poor service. I know this specifically because it's always a source of frustration for me every weekend. Today was the first day with the new Icon and the "restaurant test". The Icon dropped down to 3G with 2 bars and I was browsing the web just fine. Much better than the iPhone 5S which wouldn't give up trying to hang onto LTE resulting in almost no data throughput.

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
You also have to realize that the signal indicators on mobile phones are pretty arbitrary, and actually have little to do with actual reception. It may give you a general idea of what you're going to get, but isn't guaranteed to be accurate. Also, Apple in the past has been caught showing more bars than they should. Around the time of the iPhone 4 and the antennagate stuff they actually came out and said they were displaying signal accuracy wrong and re-calibrated it.

As long as you're getting the speeds you should be getting and you're not dropping calls I would not worry about it.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I was in an area today that has AWS band activated. Both my Icon and wife's 5s had 4 bars. Download speeds were low 50's . However the upload speed s the 5s was much faster. Just another useless data point but I have not noticed any performance difference between the two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb