Image quality on Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare... Sucks :(

CarlosRM82

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm very sad after making some tests of image quality on twitter, instagram or foursquare... I put some examples of the original photo, and what applications make them:

On foursquare vs original:
6207.png

On instagram vs original:
r3oh.png

On Twitter:
yuw7.png

The point is, if I have the best camera on the market, WP8 ruins that experience with the quality of their applications. I don't know the reason for that, maybe WP8 applications are not prepared for the size of the images lumia 1020, or directly they sucks...

Does anyone know a trick to up with decent quality pictures to social networks? I'm very angry with this issue, it seems that I'm taking pictures with a Sony Ericsson T610...

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
One option is to upload the full quality, uncompressed image, to a host website. Then you could simply share the link to that picture in your social media apps. Social media usually don't allow uncompressed images, so there's isn't alot you can do. However, I can't say for sure uploading from a PC or another device won't improve the quality. You'd think compression would be universal, for a specific App/website, but I don't think it always is.

So 1. Upload to a file sharing website and "share" the direct link. 2. Try uploading the media from a PC or another device and see if there's a difference.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been complaining about the lower picture resolution in my rate and review for instagram beta, to no avail of course.

Demonchld

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
This is not a Lumia problem this is a Facebook Instagram twitter issue a free service just can not afford to allow uploads of 40mb picture files upload it to skydrive or imageshack and it looks great facebook all those other social media sites downsize the rez of the photos

CarlosRM82

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Damn. That doesn't really surprise me. Yet another area where MS doesn't seem to get it. Little things like this are just frustrating.

I have a 41mpx sensor on my phone, but when I want to share a picture on twitter, Windows Phone resize it to 0,6mpx and 75kbs... Really really frustrating :(

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea...this is REALLY annoying actually, I've made a similar post about this before and didn't get a good result either. It sort of defeats the purpose if we have to go on a computer everytime we want to upload a picture.

wrxdrunkie

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed this also. Really disappointing!!!

I recently recommended the 1020 to a family member that loves to upload photos and the photos on his timeline are actually worse now that he has a 1020... and he came from an iPhone 4.....

bjones9942

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried the Proshot app? I believe it's $1.99 and allows you to take your pics at varying degrees of resolution from 5mp to 12mp. Has other nice features as well.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree there are some compression issues maybe. Photos I upload through 6tag or Igbeta on my 928 or icon look a good bit degraded than when send my file to my nexus7 and upload from it. This thread has me looking through various post of pics uploaded with my lumias and ones of various means and my Lumia uploads are noticeably worse. Maybe not my leaps and bounds but you can immediately tell the difference .

Rob Mulally

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think I have a solution for this, if someone wants to verify it?

I take a lot of pictures and use Instagram (www.instagram.com/robmulally) mainly using 6tag to upload pictures, if the "Picture resize" is done by the SDK, which would explain the problem in all apps. I think this the culprit.

This is how i get around it.
One of the picture editing programs I use.. (Fhotoroom) has a "resize" option under "edit" i resize my images here to 640 by 640 or 1280x1280 so the reize SDK doesn't do much to picture when uploading.

(SDK is speculation... )

I have found this to have much better results than letting the social media apps do the resizing.

I hope this helps! please let me know if it does, i use this technique a lot...

Cheers
Rob

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this too, quality of people's photos on instagram beta doesn't seem as good as on 6tag or instagram for iPhone. I think this will be addressed in wp8.1 (hopefully). Probably some missing component hindering the quality from under the roof.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
If you want to share your photos in their native resolution (and when viewed on a smaller screen the quality remaining at a good level) use Flickr. At least when that takes a 38MP image it creates multiple downsized versions which appear, to me, to be a better quality than those on Instagram etc...

Or you share the 5MP photo that has had the PureView treatment as per Nokias design.

kseniaa

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I have lumia1020 and had same problem. I have tried to reduce size in Fhotoroom by 640x640 and it didn't work for me, the image quality was still poor, but 1280x1280 makes it perfect! Thank you for your advice, Rob Mulally !

CarlosRM82

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I have again a Lumia 1020, but now whith 8.1 update 1, and its look like that the problem is fixed, finally the photos has better quality (1200x960 aprox).

Thanks M$ ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium