Nokia Lumia Icon or 928?

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post (or if there even is a right place to post), but I would like opinions on which phone I should go with.

Background:

I am a Verizon Wireless subscriber (and there is nothing I can do to change that at this point) and I currently use a 32GB Samsung Galaxy S III. My S III is starting give me trouble with connecting to Wi-Fi, lag, a weak battery, and filling up the RAM way too quickly. In the past I had an iPhone 4s, but I abandoned it for the better battery and supposedly better camera of the S III. I have never really liked the camera on the S III, especially in low-light situations. I learned to enjoy the benefits of Android as opposed to iOS, but at this point I feel that I am done tinkering and tweaking just to make using my phone bearable. I again, want a phone that "just works" and isn't marred by an interface as atrocious as TouchWiz.

Desires:

I would like a phone that has a camera that is capable of producing high quality images, especially in low-light.
I want my battery to be able to make it from 6AM to 9PM under moderate usage.
I want to be done with keyboard lag (which is all too prevalent on my S III).

Conclusion:

I would like opinions on whether I should spring for the new Icon, or go with the tried and true 928 (which many colleagues of mine own).

Thank you all in advance for the words of wisdom.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, by the list you have both the Icon and the L928 qualify. I am an AT&T user, so I am going by pure reputation on our boards, but that is not to demanding of a list, and the early reviews on the Icon camera are excellent, and it's battery life has been fairly well recieved. The L928 has been packaged as an exceptional camera phone, and it's low light reputation is excellent.

If price is no factor, I think you will be hard pressed to come up with a solid reason to not take the Icon over it's older brother. There is too many other advatages: Better processor, better graphic processor, a better screen in both size and tech, support will be around longer from MS as they promised 36 months of updates and firmware improvements for all WP8's and the L928 has been out longer, and just all around coolness. (Okay, that last one is all me.) I love the look of that phone.

Go play with both. But if you are not sold on the Icon at first look and use, I would be surprised. If price is a factor, have no fear in grabbing the L928.

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I too am on AT&T, that being said you did specifically mention the camera performance in low light conditions. The only advantage the Lumia 928 has over the Icon is the flash, but it's only one advantage... I would like to see a comparison on WP Central for Verizon customers. I personally believe that the xenon flash on the 928 would produce better photos than the Icon under specific conditions, but that wouldn't still outweigh the other advantages of the Icon: camera and otherwise.

qwank

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I can't upgrade or I'll lose my unlimited data. If I could upgrade I'd get the Icon. Since I had to buy off contract I went with a used 928 from a member here. Both phones seem to get great reviews online, and they will both get 8.1 when it comes out so I'm happy with my desicion

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have both, and while I loved the 928 the Icon is a huge improvement and is much more future proof. If you can afford it, go with the Icon, you won't be disappointed

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I never really used glance much, found it kind of useless, so no problems for me. The camera is, in my opinion, significantly better (though the 928 is no slouch). Low light seems pretty much the same. I also have an HTC One and a 5s, and its now competition.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I never really used glance much, found it kind of useless, so no problems for me. The camera is, in my opinion, significantly better (though the 928 is no slouch). Low light seems pretty much the same. I also have an HTC One and a 5s, and its now competition.

Thanks for the insight!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I am a 928 user since the beginning and looked at the Icon today at the store. The build quality seems very good and it is almost the same size as the 928. I couldn't tell much difference in the screen quality, except for the Icon's higher resolution. It was a little brighter on the same settings. I tried a number of apps and some opened faster than the 928 and some opened about the same speed. I didn't have any trouble tapping on tiles at the edge or corners of the screen like some have mentioned, and the "buttons" at the bottom all looked good on the demo unit. The speaker on the Icon seems a bit weak; in fact, it's just a single hole on the back of the phone. That being said, I have a business account with a number of lines and the 928 is free for us. To be honest, I really didn't see a huge difference between the two phones. Obviously, the resolution and camera quality is an upgrade. Otherwise, it would be hard for me to justify $199 for the Icon, over the very capable and free, 928. And with glance lacking in the Icon, I'm not in any hurry to order the Icon. Of course, if the business price drops, I will probably get one just because. But, the 928 is a very capable and good phone.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I am a 928 user since the beginning and looked at the Icon today at the store. The build quality seems very good and it is almost the same size as the 928. I couldn't tell much difference in the screen quality, except for the Icon's higher resolution. It was a little brighter on the same settings. I tried a number of apps and some opened faster than the 928 and some opened about the same speed. I didn't have any trouble tapping on tiles at the edge or corners of the screen like some have mentioned, and the "buttons" at the bottom all looked good on the demo unit. The speaker on the Icon seems a bit weak; in fact, it's just a single hole on the back of the phone. That being said, I have a business account with a number of lines and the 928 is free for us. To be honest, I really didn't see a huge difference between the two phones. Obviously, the resolution and camera quality is an upgrade. Otherwise, it would be hard for me to justify $199 for the Icon, over the very capable and free, 928. And with glance lacking in the Icon, I'm not in any hurry to order the Icon. Of course, if the business price drops, I will probably get one just because. But, the 928 is a very capable and good phone.

Thank you. This highlights my dilemma, seeing as the 928 is free to me as well.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm also trying to hold out on moving from the 928 to Icon. I checked out the phone in store and it really does feel close to the 928. A larger screen is attractive, and if it were 5.5" or larger, then it would feel much more like a different device and I'd be more inclined to jump at the upgrade.

I have unlimited data and buy new devices at full price to keep it. I don't mind doing this as I typically get the latest and greatest, so I just sell previous devices to make up the cost.

This is more of praise for the WP OS itself as even with the beefed up specs of the Icon it doesn't immediately make my 928 feel slow or old.

I'll most likely end up getting an Icon, but I'm more inclined to wait for a price drop at this point.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I moved from 928 to Icon and there is no going back. I liked it so much, I upgraded my sister for her. There is no comparison. The Icon drives Windows Phone 8 like it stole it!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I just finally looked at my Icon next to my Surface 2, and realized two things. 1, the transition feels in many ways like going from the Surface RT to the Surface 2 and 2, this is as close to a Surface phone as we are going to get (they really complement each other).

If you aren't the type of person to upgrade often, you will get a lot of use out of the Icon, as the 928 SOC is almost 2 years old at this point, while the Icon's is a few months. I think you may see the old WP 8 handsets (920, 928, 8x) a bit feature constrained in 8.1 and definitely by 9 (to be fair, this speculation), but the Icon will get everything.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I moved from the 928 to the icon last Friday. I had been through a couple 928s due to the screen freeze issue before I got a good one. I do miss the Xenon flash a bit. But that's it, I found glance to be less useful for me than others have since it would cause more battery drain. Also, since I have an exchange account with employer enforced security, I would have to unlock to respond to anything anyway. A simple click of the sleep/wake button gave me enough glance at the new notifications. Needless to say, that wasn't really a deal breaker for me. The 5" screen size is ideal for me, (there's another forum post on this topic on here if you want to get more opinions on that). The premium feel of the aluminum sides, gorgeous screen, fastest mobile Qualcomm processor made right now along with a great camera (even with dual LED flash) was what sold me. I am very pleased with my upgrade. I am typically someone who upgrades every 9-12 months though. The 928 is a great phone still and the pictures I captured with the 928 were amazing and would be a great upgrade to the GS3. (re: OP)

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I moved from the 928 to the icon last Friday. I had been through a couple 928s due to the screen freeze issue before I got a good one. I do miss the Xenon flash a bit. But that's it, I found glance to be less useful for me than others have since it would cause more battery drain. Also, since I have an exchange account with employer enforced security, I would have to unlock to respond to anything anyway. A simple click of the sleep/wake button gave me enough glance at the new notifications. Needless to say, that wasn't really a deal breaker for me. The 5" screen size is ideal for me, (there's another forum post on this topic on here if you want to get more opinions on that). The premium feel of the aluminum sides, gorgeous screen, fastest mobile Qualcomm processor made right now along with a great camera (even with dual LED flash) was what sold me. I am very pleased with my upgrade. I am typically someone who upgrades every 9-12 months though. The 928 is a great phone still and the pictures I captured with the 928 were amazing and would be a great upgrade to the GS3. (re: OP)

At this point anything is an upgrade over the keyboard lag on my GS3. I'm probably going to end up with the Icon, I just wanted some solid reasons to get it. Thank you.

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
reading beyond the hype of getting the newer phone seems 928 may have the same or better battery, better flash, better night time shots, less shutter lag, better speakers, and glance support.
not to mention cheaper off contract. $170 vs $650

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
reading beyond the hype of getting the newer phone seems 928 may have the same or better battery, better flash, better night time shots, less shutter lag, better speakers, and glance support.
not to mention cheaper off contract. $170 vs $650

1.) The Icon's battery is better than the 928's.
2.) Flash and night time shots depend on needs. I think the Icon can be better for both depending on circumstance.
3.) The Icon and the 928's camera is about the same speed.
4.) The 928 does have better speakers.
5.) The 928 does currently have the glance support that the Icon does not. But who's to say the Icon won't get it in the future.
6.) Please find me a new Nokia Lumia 928 for $170...
7.) The Nokia Lumia Icon is better in every way that you did not mention. It's thinner, has a bigger screen in almost the exact same device dimensions as the 928, it's faster, has a 1080p screen, a better camera, better sound recording, and it's got a significantly more premium feel to it than the 928.

They're both great devices. But no one in their right mind will argue than the 928 is on par with, or better than the Icon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077