Question about contacts back-up

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I came over from Android so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Do all of my contact automatically back up to my Microsoft Account? I added my Google Account and work email, so they are added to my Contacts in the phone, but I was wondering does that mean those contacts now are added to my Microsoft Account? Like, if I eventually get another Windows Phone in the future will they automatically load via my Microsoft Account or do I have to just add Google/work and they will reappear?

Also, when I go and add a new contact individually into the phone, it gives me an option to place it under Google, Microsoft, Work, etc. Is there a best practice or switch to put it in? For Android I would always add it to my Google. Should I start doing that again? I don't plan on changing my personal (gmail) email account.

Thanks.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just re-add your Google Account, and they'll appear, should you get a new Windows Phone.

Unfortunately, the process isn't always perfect. So, I'd recommend you add it to your Microsoft Account in case you plan on staying with Windows Phone for the considerable future.

(Oh, your personal email is GMail? Do what you do on Android, it'll be fine.)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
You can keep them all on Google, put them all in Outlook or have a mix of both. If you go to outlook.com on a computer, and click Add People, you should get an option to add your Google contacts. This will basically import them into your Microsoft account from Google. They will then automatically sync to your phone and you will have linked contacts from both Microsoft and google. You can however, filter what you see, both on your phone and online. Personally, I have both, and pretty much use Outlook as my primary contact location (well, actually Office 365).

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Question about this. If I link them, will they repopulate as double contacts when I have my outlook and gmail accounts on a phone?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
yes, and no. You can link contacts together. So i you have a contact for the same person in facebook, outlook, gmail, they will show up as 3 contacts but if you go into one of them and hit the link (middle button on bottom of screen) you can merge the contacts together. If they all have the same name its a pretty quick process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos