Spontaneous restarts after Lumia Black

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm finding that my Rogers 920 is restarting itself more frequently since the black update.

Today it happened twice, once while I was using 6snap, and once just after I enabled internet sharing.

Prior to the black update it would occasionally restart itself, perhaps 1 every two weeks. I don't have app folders installed.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's really strange. My device hasn't rebooted a single time randomly since I've installed Black. I have 5 different app folders.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I should also add that I have never hard reset my phone, and have been continually using it for almost exactly one year. I have installed many many apps, and probably have more apps than the average user installed at this moment.

I also have a fairly small amount of free space, roughly, 3.4gb.

I still love my 920, even with the spontaneous reboots.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
What I can tell you is this: I had a similar issue right after I updated to black. I updated on a thursday and the following saturday the device rebooted three times. A few weeks later, the same thing happened, the phone would reboot twice on a saturday. It was then that I realized "Hey, it's only rebooting when I am at my parents place and when I am connected to their wifi!" because those were the only times the issue happened. I have then updated the firmware of my parents router but I haven't been to theirs in a few weeks now so I don't know if that fixed the issue.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed recently that I get restarts after the Lumia black update. It doesn't happen very often so I don't really know what it could be. Also, I have had the black update for a while but it only happened recently so I'm wondering if it is an app or something along those lines. Never had any restarts before.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a reset in several days, but I did notice a scenario where it has happened more than once now:

The phone has spontaneously rebooted while actively navigating with Waze AND I activate the camera and take a photo. It has done this twice, also the photo isn't saved.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I went 10 days without a random reboot then it happened again today while pulling up the menu bar in IE.

EDIT: also lost some screenshots I had taken 1-2 minutes just before the restart.

Last edited:

sasaen01

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I've also had random reboots...actually one happened just a min ago so I checked the forums to see if anyone else has had this problem. I installed the black update a while ago, but feel like these reboots are happening more often recently. This time I was browsing the internet. Other times its happened while playing games (can't remember which one). I know I didn't used to have this problem so much. I've had my L920 since November 2012 I think...

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually haven't had a restart since I posted about it. Maybe my phone just wanted me to acknowledge it :p For real though, I'm not sure what it could have been.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I went 10 days without a random reboot then it happened again today while pulling up the menu bar in IE.

EDIT: also lost some screenshots I had taken 1-2 minutes just before the restart.

and another random reboot. this time 11 days since last one. I also notice that when the phone turned back on it said battery was at 0%, before the reboot it had been in the neighbourhood of 50%.

I'm starting to think these reboots may somehow be linked to a battery glitch - I just wonder if it's a software or hardware fault.

Zaki Smile

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I think this is also happening to me, 2 or 3 times when I have picked up my phone from my pocket and turned of the screenlock it has asked me about the PIN code, and I know I have used the phone earlier that day.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
What I can tell you is this: I had a similar issue right after I updated to black. I updated on a thursday and the following saturday the device rebooted three times. A few weeks later, the same thing happened, the phone would reboot twice on a saturday. It was then that I realized "Hey, it's only rebooting when I am at my parents place and when I am connected to their wifi!" because those were the only times the issue happened. I have then updated the firmware of my parents router but I haven't been to theirs in a few weeks now so I don't know if that fixed the issue.

I would just like to follow up on my previous post, I have since been to my parents and connected to their wifi and it again randomly rebooted. That was the only time since my last post about this issue and the only time until this very moment. So it must be somehow related to the wifi, my parents are running a wifi router with ddwrt on it.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
18 days went by since last random reboot. I was hit today while web browsing. I lost some photos that I had taken 5-10 minutes before the random restart. Hope 8.1 fixes this.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
i'm getting random reboots now too. seems to happen after booting the phone on from cold. had black since it was released. apart from the nokia pre-installed apps, i have very few installed apps from the store. the only thing i have changed recently is my wifi router (virgin media superhub v1) at home. i'll try reverting back to my previous router (tp link) and see what occurs.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
8.1 doesn't fix the problem. Just had a restart right after I opened metro tube. Upon reboot, the battery level dropped from 100% to 25%

EDIT: I also noticed that I lost some text messages! even ones that I had received 8 hours earlier!

Last edited:

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Had two more reboots since my last post. That's two more that I noticed. Who knows how many times it's rebooted during the night or in my pocket and I haven't noticed.

I would do a hard reset on it but I have some apps installed that are no longer published and no way to reinstall them.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
i'm still getting reboots. haven't noticed them so much when in general use once the phone is up and running. but more so if i power down the phone, restart and then i'll get a couple of reboots then. it is as if there is something in the boot process that triggers it. unfortunately i've not go another phone i can use to make a video to show what is going on.

what is worse is i actually did i factory reset and that has not helped. nice waste of a couple of days getting the phone back to my previous pre-factory reset stage :sweaty: anyway, as posted earlier i thought it may be a wifi router problem but i have tried 2 different routers now and am still getting the reboots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre