Possible to use AT&T 920 in UK for trip?

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Got the wife a 520 to replace her "dumbphone" and she is liking the smartphone experience (although she swore she wouldn't). She has an upcoming trip to the UK and was going to take her 520, but realized that there is no front-facing camera. In looking for a 920 or 1020 for her, I realized that there may not be any "global" versions of the 920 or 1020. I see unlocked versions that seem they won't work well on AT&T in the US and AT&T US versions that won't work in UK (wrong bands).

Ideas? I want to get her a decent phone with decent camera for pictures and one with a front-facing camera for selfies and video chat.
I don't care too much if 4G/LTE doesn't work in the UK, but need voice and SMS capability.

Thanks for suggestions.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I would be surprised if any modern GSM smartphone didn't support basic 2G and probably 3G on common international bands. AT&T use GSM, correct? My European phones have worked on AT&T and other operators in North America for well over a decade.
You should check with AT&T that roaming is enabled on the account before you travel.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I would be surprised if any modern GSM smartphone didn't support basic 2G and probably 3G on common international bands. AT&T use GSM, correct? My European phones have worked on AT&T and other operators in North America for well over a decade.
You should check with AT&T that roaming is enabled on the account before you travel.

Thanks. If I understand correctly, I would have to unlock the phone from AT&T if I wanted to use a UL Prepaid SIM card in it, correct?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got back. My AT&T 920 worked fine, but pay as you go phones are so cheap in the UK! A phone and 30 GBP credit only costs 20 GBP... that's only good for text and voice, but a great price.

Remember you can use Wi-Fi on a 920 or 520 if you are at friends or stores etc. for email and web and then Skype back to the USA for free.

If you do want to use your phone abroad, enable International Roaming on the online account. And you can pay a plan which includes much cheaper voice and data for a trip too.

The best route depends on what you really want the phone for...

lots of calls to UK - buy a local phone
lots of calls from USA - AT&T international plan for a month
as a safety net etc. just go as you are and aim not to use it except in an emergency.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Iancorp, if you want to be able to travel with your 920 then you would want a pentaband version. I don't know if the one that ATT sells/sold is. I remember reading here that lots of people were purchasing the Rogers version from up here in Canada which definitely is. Unlocked should work fine on both ATT and international travel. If you don't want to purchase from Rogers directly, I know that this website sells unlocked pentaband versions www.canadagsm.com.

Good luck. If your wife likes the 520 she is going to love the 920!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99