Nokia Lumia 1520 LTE Cat 4? and 802.11ac?

Reynaldo Sustaita

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I am just wondering does the AT&T version of the Nokia Lumia 1520 have LTE Cat 4 and 802.11ac? I am always on the go especially attending a university. Also, I realized some articles online recently from MWC that are highlighting the fact the phones have ac and Cat 4. I might be getting the phone through the AT&T Next program (please no convincing me of not going to the program, I want to be in the program. Best thing for me) so I need to know.

Thank you!

tomdjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey did some digging and yes the Nokia lumia 1520 does in fact have 802.11 ac as well as the LTE CAT 4 which is packed into the snapdragon processor.

Nokia Lumia 1520 - Specifications - Nokia - USA

LTE Advanced | Qualcomm

Indeed the 1520's chipset does support 802.11ac. However, when used with a 11ac router (using the normal 80 MHz channel), I have experienced very slow throughput, it seems to be a driver issue that hopefully Nokia will correct soon. In the mean time, it's better use a 11n router or set maximum 40 MHz channel if using 5GHz band.
Lumia 1520 - poor 5GHz Wi-Fi performance - Nokia Support Discussions

Jorlon

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Indeed the 1520's chipset does support 802.11ac. However, when used with a 11ac router (using the normal 80 MHz channel), I have experienced very slow throughput, it seems to be a driver issue that hopefully Nokia will correct soon. In the mean time, it's better use a 11n router or set maximum 40 MHz channel if using 5GHz band.
Lumia 1520 - poor 5GHz Wi-Fi performance - Nokia Support Discussions

I was curious about this, as I have the newer model Apple Airport Extreme (802.11ac) and while I knew the SD800 chip was "ac" compatible, I didn't think twice that my 1520 might be connecting with "ac" speeds. I confirmed with the Airport Utility that my 1520's mac address was connecting in "ac" mode, that it is set to use Wide Channels, and Speedtest on my 1520 gives me the normal 36 down / 10 up that I am accustomed to on my COX network.

So, mine seems to be working. No slow throughput that I can see. Is there another test that I can use other than Speedtest?

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Any one having WiFi IP address randomly changing? On my second 1520 and WiFi IP address changes after screen times out !!!!

I might guess that if you have WiFi not set to stay on when the screen times out, that when it comes back in, it goes through the DHCP process again and might be getting a different IP?
What is the lease time on your DHCP device?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I was curious about this, as I have the newer model Apple Airport Extreme (802.11ac) and while I knew the SD800 chip was "ac" compatible, I didn't think twice that my 1520 might be connecting with "ac" speeds. I confirmed with the Airport Utility that my 1520's mac address was connecting in "ac" mode, that it is set to use Wide Channels, and Speedtest on my 1520 gives me the normal 36 down / 10 up that I am accustomed to on my COX network.

So, mine seems to be working. No slow throughput that I can see. Is there another test that I can use other than Speedtest?

I thought your 1520 wasn't pulling data from that same access point.

Has that issue cleared up?

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I thought your 1520 wasn't pulling data from that same access point.

Has that issue cleared up?

You misunderstood the problem I reported in a different thread. I didn't say my 1520 wouldn't work with my WiFi. I described how my 1520 would suddenly be using cellular data instead of going through my WiFi, even though WiFi is turned on and the WiFi symbol is lit. It's a random problem and I'm trying to keep an eye on it, but when it is properly working on my WiFi, my speed seems normal when connected in "ac" mode as I described above.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You misunderstood the problem I reported in a different thread. I didn't say my 1520 wouldn't work with my WiFi. I described how my 1520 would suddenly be using cellular data instead of going through my WiFi, even though WiFi is turned on and the WiFi symbol is lit. It's a random problem and I'm trying to keep an eye on it, but when it is properly working on my WiFi, my speed seems normal when connected in "ac" mode as I described above.
same here on my second 1520 because my IP address changes after my screen times out need help .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon