Wireless Charging Questions

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
The Icon is the first wireless charging device that I have had. I have it on the desk at work and I wanted to know if it is okay to continually lay it on the charger and take it off throughout the day (charging it from 90% to 100%) several times a day? Also... Is it okay to leave it on the charger after it gets to 100%?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is the first wireless charging device that I have had. I have it on the desk at work and I wanted to know if it is okay to continually lay it on the charger and take it off throughout the day (charging it from 90% to 100%) several times a day? Also... Is it okay to leave it on the charger after it gets to 100%?
My understanding is that this latest generation of batteries are "Smarter" and you won't overcharge them by doing what you're doing.

Allen Whitehead

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from 822 to Icon. I use wireless charging. Have used it on the 822 since I bought it year and half ago. No problems. Now when I put the Icon on the wireless charger at night it charges fine. After it completes charging, at some point during the night it resumes charging and makes that same sound as if you are initially beginning to charge the phone. I would like to keep my phone by my bed at night. The only way to keep it there and not make the sound is to plug it in to charge. Does anyone have another solution? I do not want to put it on vibrate as I have children and parents that may need to call during the night.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP's question is regarding constantly topping off the battery with Qi charging in the form of leaving it on the charger all day, but continuously picking it up to take phone calls, text, etc and putting it back down every 5 min at a time. If that is correct I am here to say that is how my 928 has lived the past 9 months and I have not noticed any degraded battery life because of it (if anything longer battery life through the OS updates since then).

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Battery cycles on Li-Ion are different than older batteries or even say the newer NiMH. Every battery has a finite number of cycles. For older style batteries (NiMH, Lithium, NiCd, alkaline, etc...), even if you just charged the batter from say, 30% to 50%, that would count as one cycle. Li-Ion don't suffer from the same memory problems. Li-Ion really don't have a memory/cycle, per se, but to make the best sense of how Li-Ion "cycle" works, think of it as 1 cycle = sum of charges too equal 100% charged

For instance, if your phone got down to 10% and you threw it on the charger until it got to 50%, let it drain down to 20%, then put it back on and charged it to 70%, let it drain down to 40%, then charged it to 50%, that would equal one cycle.
50-10 = 40%. 70-20 = 50%. 50-40 = 10%
40% + 50% + 10% = 100% = one Li-Ion cycle

In addition, Li-Ion have a lower self-discharge (charge loss while stored) rate. You should expect near zero loss in capacity for the first 400-500 cycles. After that, Li-Ion batteries will produce 65-80% of its original capacity.

sethman916

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the real misnomer here is that Qi or the wall adapter is a "charger". They are not. They simply provide power to the internals of the phone. Inside the phone there is a battery charger controller chip that actually handles when and how to charge the battery, whether it be full current mode or trickle mode. If the battery is continually being topped off it is a function of the internal battery charger chip and not the Qi dock or micro USB charger. If the software is designed properly and or they use a good quality charger controller then it shouldn't matter whether you leave it on the Qi charger or not. The charger chip/software will properly terminate the charge and leave it as is.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Battery cycles on Li-Ion are different than older batteries or even say the newer NiMH. Every battery has a finite number of cycles. For older style batteries (NiMH, Lithium, NiCd, alkaline, etc...), even if you just charged the batter from say, 30% to 50%, that would count as one cycle. Li-Ion don't suffer from the same memory problems. Li-Ion really don't have a memory/cycle, per se, but to make the best sense of how Li-Ion "cycle" works, think of it as 1 cycle = sum of charges too equal 100% charged

For instance, if your phone got down to 10% and you threw it on the charger until it got to 50%, let it drain down to 20%, then put it back on and charged it to 70%, let it drain down to 40%, then charged it to 50%, that would equal one cycle.
50-10 = 40%. 70-20 = 50%. 50-40 = 10%
40% + 50% + 10% = 100% = one Li-Ion cycle

In addition, Li-Ion have a lower self-discharge (charge loss while stored) rate. You should expect near zero loss in capacity for the first 400-500 cycles. After that, Li-Ion batteries will produce 65-80% of its original capacity.

While all of this is true, I feel the need to point out that the battery in the Icon and most high end phones these days is LiPo, not Li-Ion. Lithium Polymer batteries have much longer endurance and should well outlast the useful life of the device before losing maximum capacity. The tradeoff is that they are not as energy dense. A few years ago manufacturers made the switch to LiPo as energy efficiency gains in silicon made it less important for the battery to be as energy dense as possible. This also made it possible to seal batteries inside devices as the reason for them to be replaceable became essentially moot for most use cases.

robertc88

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Qi charger from Verizon for my Nexus 7 2013 back when and I was getting buyer's remorse because of the price after awhile. Now I find out that this Nokia works with the Icon. Feeling better! :)

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Do we know how well the Qi charger works thru the phone case? Those with different type cases care to comment please?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nokia cover for my phone, and it charges up just fine on the wireless charger. Not sure what some of the non-Nokia covers/cases work like. The one I have is fairly thin, possibly around 1mm. CC-1043 is the product code.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Do we know how well the Qi charger works thru the phone case? Those with different type cases care to comment please?

You should not have any issues charging Qi with a case on. I am still awaiting an Incipio Dual Pro case for this phone but with my 928 I had a somewhat thick Trident case on and had absolutely 0 issues charging it.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
While all of this is true, I feel the need to point out that the battery in the Icon and most high end phones these days is LiPo, not Li-Ion. Lithium Polymer batteries have much longer endurance and should well outlast the useful life of the device before losing maximum capacity. The tradeoff is that they are not as energy dense. A few years ago manufacturers made the switch to LiPo as energy efficiency gains in silicon made it less important for the battery to be as energy dense as possible. This also made it possible to seal batteries inside devices as the reason for them to be replaceable became essentially moot for most use cases.

Do you have any links for me to read up on this technology? I've read that even with newer batteries to not retain a full charge after a while and there are good ways to charge your phone. For example charging from 25% to 95% is healthier for the phone than charging it 40% here, 50% there, and so on.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

I have the Incipio Feather case no problems using QI charging. I am using the Nokia charging stand that the Microsoft store included for free with my phone purchase.

robertc88

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the Incipio Feather case no problems using QI charging. I am using the Nokia charging stand that the Microsoft store included for free with my phone purchase.

Good to know as I bought that case yesterday. I really didn't think about Qi charging when the case was on the Icon to tell the truth. I just wanted to have a case on this beauty for some protection and options are limited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)