Lumia 520 as a music player?

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I currently own a Lumia 920, and have had it since December 2012. I'm pretty much locked in to the OS and enjoy it overall. I have a ton of pictures, videos, and other files on my 920 and the storage space is almost full. Since the Lumia 520 can be bought off contract for $100 or so, I thought about just buying one for a music player for my car at all times. I have a 2013 Ford with Sync (bluetooth and voice commands). It would be nice to use the Lumia 520 as just a music player with bluetooth and a mirco SD card with all my songs on it. Its also nice how in WP8 you can pin albums/artists to the start screen, so I wouldn't have to fumble through menus. I am willing to spend the money, but I wanted to get your opinions on this. DO you guys think there are better alternatives out there? I'm not interested in Apple products or iTunes.

I would NOT be using it with a carrier, I would pretty much leave it in airplane mode at all times with the bluetooth on. Is this possible? Will I still be able to update the phone and add apps via WIFI? I will not be using this as a phone in any way, nor will I need a cellular data connection.

Does the Lumia 520 have Bluetooth 4.0 or 3.0? I keep seeing conflicting reports on different sites.

What is the max storage size micro SD card I can use with the 520? It would be nice to get one of those 64GB or bigger cards, since I have a LOT of music. Can I just copy all my music files (all WMA & MP3) over to the SD card and have the phone recognize them?

I appreciate your help and opinions!

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
BT 4.0 support was added with the Amber Update.

L520 can use up to 64gb MicroSD card. Drag n Dropping MP3 files from my Win 7 laptop to MSD card was easy for me - some others have had some issues with music files being duplicated or issues creating/using playlists.

As to how well the 520 will work with Ford Sync system, I have no clue.

Last edited:

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How is he liking it?

And the Ford Sync already works decently with my Lumia 920 (just no integrated app support like Pandora on android and iOS) so I'm not too concerned about that.

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, he is enjoying, pretty much, because music+video doesn't consumes any battery. And of course L520 is the best low-end smartphone by now.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 520 got Bluetooth 4.0 with Lumia Amber. The Lumia 920 and all the other high-end phones got Bluetooth 4.0 after Lumia Black.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Problem of Lumia 520/521 is it doesn't have equalizer and Dolby enhancement.
You need wired headset for that. Since he's going to be using it with bluetooth, it doesn't really matter. I can't change EQ when listening to music on bluetooth headphones on my 925.

To OP:
If you have AUX in you car, I'd recommend using that rather then bluetooth (better sound quality), and if you have bluetooth in the car, don't you have SD or USB slot?

In bluetooth is your only option, then there is very little choice in mp3 players out there, I found one Sony but its very expensive compared to Lumia 520 (150 USD for the mp3 player with 8GB of non-expandable storage, bluetooth 2.1, you do get the bluetooth headphones included in price but you have no use for them). There is also Creative Zen X-Fi3 (135 USD for 16GB, also 8 and 32GB options (but I can't find the 32 one) with expandable microSD up to 32GB, bluetooth 2.1)
In both cases, Lumia 520 is cheaper (or costs the same), and you can get Samsung 64GB sd card for 30 USD. I say go for it.
Lumia also has wifi (streaming music when stationary), and is a fully functional phone which can serve as a backup in case something happens to your 920. Try using MP3 player for that.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the great information guys.

As far as using the Bluetooth, the quality is actually pretty decent through Bluetooth with the Ford Sync (and I consider myself an audiophile). Yeah there is a slight difference between it and the cable, but its pretty hard to tell. I have a friend with a 2012 Elantra, and the Bluetooth audio quality is downright rancid. I also get the benefit of using the steering wheel controls for skipping, pause, etc.

I'm gonna swing by the AT&T store and see if they have one on hand that I can fiddle with. Then buy one of Amazon.

So I have another question. If I decide to use this as a backup phone or give it to someone to be used as a phone, does the Lumia 520 do 3G or 4G on AT&T? I was looking at some forums where people said they were only getting 3G. I know it won't do LTE, but I was wondering about just 4G. Thanks!

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
LOL! LTE on 520 :D You're funny :)
Just kidding. This is a budget phone, there is no LTE on it, no matter what network you're on. 3G it is (HSDPA)

I didn't mean to be offensive at all, I hope you don't take it that way :)

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
There are phones that have 4G only and not LTE...

Can I buy it for $60 on AT&T's GoPhone and just never load it with minutes/data? How does that work? Do they make you pay a minimum each month?

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I use my 520 as a media device, and it's great. I bought my AT&T Lumia 520 last July, the 1st day it was sold, as I was getting rid of my Galaxy S3. I used it as my phone until last November when I bought a Nexus 5. I never activated a GoPhone account, but used the SIM from my S3. I have a postpaid plan. Since November, I've been using the phone as a media device, and it's great on wifi. I have downloaded apps via wifi all the time. The phone is 4G, but technically 3.5G. On the top notification bar, the 520 read 4G with the SIM in. I think it supports HSPA, up to 21 mbs. I'm on wifi more than cellular anyways. As far as audio, I'm certainly not an audiophile. As someone said above, it'll support a 64 GB microSD card. I have a 16 GB microSD card, and listen to some music as well as podcasts, audiobooks, radio dramas. It's so easy to drag and drop audio files to the 520 with the phone connected to a computer. For that purpose, it's great. As someone said, with the latest GDR3/Black update, it supports Bluetooth 4.0. I don't have any experience with using it in my car. My Hyundai has bluetooth, but doesn't support music streaming. I use the USB port anyways. The wifi radio is great. It locks on my work and home wifi excellently. I've never had any dropped connections. It automatically connects to my home with 100% reliability. Once I log into the work wifi (which is a public access wifi in a health care system), it stays connected all day. With an iPhone 4G (and a prior 3G), the wifi would disconnect, and then, I'd have to log back in. I think it's the iOS software. The 520 is superior in that respect.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Best. In my opinion. Is Android using bs player free.

you can play both music and music videos or just normal videos in the background with screen off. And it has a search feature allowing you to search by name.

it can also play music and videos at half speed or double speed.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Best. In my opinion. Is Android using bs player free.

you can play both music and music videos or just normal videos in the background with screen off. And it has a search feature allowing you to search by name.

it can also play music and videos at half speed or double speed.

I'm pretty sure he isn't interested in watching videos while driving. Besides, in this price range, lumia 520 wins any android phone.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I use my 520 as a media device, and it's great. I bought my AT&T Lumia 520 last July, the 1st day it was sold, as I was getting rid of my Galaxy S3. I used it as my phone until last November when I bought a Nexus 5. I never activated a GoPhone account, but used the SIM from my S3. I have a postpaid plan. Since November, I've been using the phone as a media device, and it's great on wifi. I have downloaded apps via wifi all the time. The phone is 4G, but technically 3.5G. On the top notification bar, the 520 read 4G with the SIM in. I think it supports HSPA, up to 21 mbs. I'm on wifi more than cellular anyways. As far as audio, I'm certainly not an audiophile. As someone said above, it'll support a 64 GB microSD card. I have a 16 GB microSD card, and listen to some music as well as podcasts, audiobooks, radio dramas. It's so easy to drag and drop audio files to the 520 with the phone connected to a computer. For that purpose, it's great. As someone said, with the latest GDR3/Black update, it supports Bluetooth 4.0. I don't have any experience with using it in my car. My Hyundai has bluetooth, but doesn't support music streaming. I use the USB port anyways. The wifi radio is great. It locks on my work and home wifi excellently. I've never had any dropped connections. It automatically connects to my home with 100% reliability. Once I log into the work wifi (which is a public access wifi in a health care system), it stays connected all day. With an iPhone 4G (and a prior 3G), the wifi would disconnect, and then, I'd have to log back in. I think it's the iOS software. The 520 is superior in that respect.

Thank you for the great information!! This pretty much answered all my questions! I think I will go to walmart or AT&T and see if they have the GoPhone version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers