Bluetooth Low Energy aka Bluetooth Smart (BT 4.0 LE) devices for T-Mobile Lumia 925 with Black

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I have a 925 from T-Mobile with the recently released Black firmware. It's supposed to include support for devices with Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy. I've asked to borrow my friend's Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor to see if my Lumia can find it, but no luck so far. I've tried it several times, confirming that my friends' iPhone and HTC Android can see the device. This is really bumming me since I've wanted this feature for the longest time and that this feature would save me hundreds of dollars not having to buy a GPS watch with HRM. I like to listen to my music when I run but also is trying to improve my fitness so these devices are something I really need.

Can anyone confirm they are able to connect these type of devices to the 925 from T-Mobile? If so, then I may just have a bad phone with the radio messed up. I can see other bluetooth like laptops and headsets, but not the BT 4.0 LE devices.

Thanks!

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
There are almost no Bluetooth 4.0 devices that are being supported by the Lumia series right now. Or, to say it correctly: the devices don't support your Lumia.

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that the reason for standardization though? I mean, my Lumia should still detect the device since it's using a standard, correct? What's the use of Nokia putting BT 4.0 support if it doesn't support any devices? I know the Adidas devices supposedly have support for Lumia series phones, but apparently no one here at the forum uses them.

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Even just for the phone to recognize the device, i.e. going to Settings -> Bluetooth? I thought devices code for the Bluetooth Standard?. I understand you need those for applications, but for just recognizing the device?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth is a standard for communicating data. Within that there are profiles for different devices and abilities. Just because you support Bluetooth 4.0, doesn't mean you support all the devices/abilities.

I would imagine Nokia have the capability to implement and of that, but i doubt anyone else has the ability to add them.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
@SnailUK So going with what you said, Nokia did not implement the proper profiles to support any of the currently existing BT 4.0 LE devices. If that is the case, then that is a big fail on Nokia.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why is it a fail for Nokia? It should be Microsoft doing it, not only that, but there are absolutely loads of profiles. Many of which have no apps available, so why add untestable code?

The question is wether Nokia can add profiles as and when interesting devices need them. As wearable a are hot stuff at the moment, I bet Nokia are working on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Why is it a fail for Nokia? It should be Microsoft doing it, not only that, but there are absolutely loads of profiles. Many of which have no apps available, so why add untestable code?

The question is wether Nokia can add profiles as and when interesting devices need them. As wearable a are hot stuff at the moment, I bet Nokia are working on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand and agree Microsoft should have implemented that in the beginning.

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
can you confirm this? Do you have the device and a Lumia 925?

I personally can't but here is a review of it with a 720 and I believe the Black update. Read the comments section. There is some more info there about the Polar device as well.

Adidas miCoach Heart Rate Monitor (HRM 2) hands-on for Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 | NokNok.tv

Also, a word on specific enhancements with this monitor and the black update.

Adidas miCoach for Windows Phone 8 Lumia Devices Updated with Stride Sensor Integration and More

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
As said above, the SDK (Standard Developer Kits) are not yet available so developers can't develop for bluetooth 4.0. It's just that it's "too new", it's no ones fault. Within 6 months device compatibility will grow significantly.

Charlene Chua

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
from Kreyos here.
the Kreyos Meteor connects through BT 4.0 and is compatible with WP8- which should be available on launch.
currently, we are on schedule to ship the Meteor this April, just locking down the ship date.
we'd really like to apologisze for the delays caused, but it's gonna be worth it!

@jlanger we shall support ANT+ (aka heart rate monitor) soon/in the near future.

Last edited:

solidsnakejv

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
The polar H7 works with the Adidas miCoach app. Turn Bluetooth on and connect to the sensor through the app. The Bluetooth settings page won't find it, but the app does.

Chris Johnson18

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! All the other apps I tried had me go to my phones Bluetooth settings page and that didn't detect my H7, but Adidas MiCoach worked! I have a Nokia Lumia 521

Catrik

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've just purchased the Polar H6 and it paired with my Lumia 925 (paired through the phones Bluetooth settings). I even have my Heart rate showing up in Endomondo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans