Capacitive buttons HTC 8X does not working ("Home", "Search", "Back")

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am (un)happy owner of HTC 8X with touch buttons on the bottom broken. Could anybody give me any idea how to fix it switfly?

1. Is any application doubling the navigation bar (as in Windows Phone 8.1)?
2. Is any way to fix it with hard reset
3. Is any custom rom on HTC 8X with on screen buttons otpions
4. Any other ideas? How to use WP8 smartphone withouse these buttons?

Thanks in advance!

Martin hfd

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Capacitive buttons HTC 8X does not working ("Home", "Search", "Back")

First of all how did you break the buttons? Did you drop the phone or did you buy it that way?
1. I am not aware that any app can emulate those 8.1 onscreen navi buttons except .. well... WP8.1 (soooo.. not right now)
2. You can try a hard reset but if it is a hardware problem I don't see that helping... :S
3. Have no idea if it is possible but you could try with this [Guide] Unbrand HTC 8X - xda-developers !!!!WARNING!!! Never tried and never will so be REALLY careful if you decide to do this...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Try to update it... try hard reset... try soft reset (if you haven't).... that's about It I'm out of ideas :S sorry.. oh yeah and did you try to take it to a repair shop and if you did what did they say...?!?!?

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

This is second hand phone. I got it for ~60 dollars, I have been not told what happened. I am working outside home this week so I just had no chance to try to fix it. I'm looking for the ideas.
Do you know any navigation bar that I can download? WP community is to tiny, as WP market share ;)

And what about solutions like Gesture Gesture Launcher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

or voice navigation. Is anything like that? May I just say "Back" to go back or say "Home" to go homescreen. That would make my day. :)

Last edited:

Martin hfd

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Sorry I took a while to answer... was out of town... As you put it voice navi would be my choice.. You can google for the commands and such.. Idk if there is a command for home or start or whatever.. Regarding the app haven't used it and I can't download it because of region or smth like that (Am currently in Macedonia so... F@#$)...
P.S. You got it really cheap... You can try taking it to a repair shop it should not be expensive to fix if there aren't any hardware parts broken...
P,P,S, Paid $300 for mine (F@#$ ) :D :D

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi. thanks for yr prompt responce, no bother, take your time. Agree, it is a cheap deal :) But is the voice commands requires to use "Start/Home" button to be hold on?
Another way is something like this app: Lockie | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
I could put some links to the apps on the lockscreen. So that would make my life way easier to pin some apps on the lock screen.

Martin hfd

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Repair is non an option at this moment. I have paid ~$60 but the reapir costs is ~150. It's Windows Phone, it's not worth it ;) :) :) ;). Thanks, I will try your solutions Monday and I'll get back here to let you know. Fingers crossed. Thanks for these apps, I thing they will help a lot!

Any other ideas? Any other users?

Last edited:

Martin hfd

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Holy $@#T it actualy costs that much.... duuude! And don't go around saying "it's WP it's not worth it" you can get into a lot of trouble.... trust me..
Hope I helped (I sold my HTC 8x for $280 and got a HTC 8S for less than $80... BARGAIN)....
If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask..

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Did you see 4 emoticons? Take it easy, it's a joke. I know the best solution is: to fix it. But I can not affort it at this moment. So I am looking for apps - any ideas?

Martin hfd

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Nah I got it! But someone else might not.. :D :D.. I've seen people get lynched over a sentence like that.. (Been a member only a very short time but i used to read all day long)
Ok so... apps.. I am currently installing on my 8S: Battery, Quick Tiles, Skype, Viber, Sysapp pusher, Preview for Devs, Bing Weather, PDF reader and so on (I know these are the basics but I don't need anything else..) aaand games just one REAPER best f*****g TBRPG game EVEEER!!!!!! I am addicted to this freakin game...

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

The solution is quite easy but.... Nobody wants to help me so... I will not tell u how to fix it switfly ;) bye!

fleuriee

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

How did you do it? I really need to know! In the end of June I get my new phone, but untill that time I have to survive with my HTC 8x.. Please help me!

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

I would do a hard reset first. Go to settings > about > reset your phone. If that doesn't work and you don't want to repair it, then I would suggest getting a pair of headphones that have a mic built in so that you can use voice commands. If you press and hold on the headphones' button (not the rocker), then the voice assistant will pop up. You won't be able to go to the home screen once you leave it, but you should be able to launch any app.

johnepedersen

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Hei TrueTrueFalseTrue, or 1101, if you have a good solution, please share, I am in the same situation as you. This is a great change to save me from Android, seriously contemplating a Sony Xperia Z(x)

Stu Malin

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

I had this issue before, when you set up the phone did you get an SMS from Microsoft saying Welcome or something like that? Until you receive that, those buttons don't work. Weird I know but true

johnepedersen

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

managed to fix this "sort of". I just created a lens-app that navigates me to the startscreen. my problem was not with the welcome message

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

How to fix now working buttons
1. Is no way to fix it fully. You can only replace the screen
2. Is only way to get back on start screen. I think that is OK to many users

there are two ways.
1. Turn on Kid's Corner
2. Run some app/game
3. Lock screen
4. Press power button but do not unlock the screan
5. Instead of unlocking screen move it to left. Then you'll see Kids Corner
6. Lock and unlock screen again - you are on home screen.

Works faster than you think.

The other way:
Buf NFC tag and use NFC launchit. In my tag I have "go to start screen" command. I have stick the NFC tag to the phone case. Works fine.

i106

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

Ok I had a similar problem with HTC Radar a while ago and after I updated to WP 7.8 my capacitive buttons stop working.
The problem than was HTC's Connection Setup App... It was trying do do something and it stuck the phone... (buttons not working)
So the solution than was to simply go and delete the app from applications (you do not need buttons to do that).
​Maybe something similar is happening now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12